Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Realtors pushing for new visa "silvercard" for foreign retirees

Realtors pushing for new visa "silvercard" for foreign retirees

Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice
Default Realtors pushing for new visa "silvercard" for foreign retirees

Just wanted to post this because I found it to be somewhat interesting.

WASHINGTON — John Mike, a real estate agent in Wellington, Fla., sees a vast untapped source of wealth that could boost the sagging U.S. housing market: foreign citizens.

More precisely — older foreign citizens.

Thousands of residents from other nations — including England, Ireland, the Netherlands, Israel, Greece, Italy and Germany — are clamoring to retire in the United States, but can't get visas, Mike said.

Real estate agents across the country are now pushing for a visa that would allow foreign citizens to retire in America.

They call it a "silver card" as opposed to a "green card." Proponents say it would allow foreigners to purchase homes, cars and many other goods and services, stimulating the troubled economy.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/...ISA22_PBP.html

This could be a good thing, but I honestly believe they should help those who are waiting to be with their family first.

Ian
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realtors pushing for new visa "silvercard" for foreign retirees

Originally Posted by zarya
Just wanted to post this because I found it to be somewhat interesting.

WASHINGTON — John Mike, a real estate agent in Wellington, Fla., sees a vast untapped source of wealth that could boost the sagging U.S. housing market: foreign citizens.

More precisely — older foreign citizens.

Thousands of residents from other nations — including England, Ireland, the Netherlands, Israel, Greece, Italy and Germany — are clamoring to retire in the United States, but can't get visas, Mike said.

Real estate agents across the country are now pushing for a visa that would allow foreign citizens to retire in America.

They call it a "silver card" as opposed to a "green card." Proponents say it would allow foreigners to purchase homes, cars and many other goods and services, stimulating the troubled economy.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/...ISA22_PBP.html

This could be a good thing, but I honestly believe they should help those who are waiting to be with their family first.

Ian
Thats an old story ..that been and gone ...

Anything said by a realtor is Florida is automatically taken to be

"I am lying thru my teeth with a smile "
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Proponents say it would allow foreigners to purchase homes, cars and many other goods and services, stimulating the troubled economy.
But they can do this already, you don't need a visa to buy such things.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

Yes they can, but they cannot stay more than 90 days as far as I can recall.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Proponents say it would allow foreigners to purchase homes, cars and many other goods and services, stimulating the troubled economy.
And then they would get ill and because they couldn't afford health insurance they would cause more problems to the economy than the the gain they got from the previous purchases.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

6 months B2

On the TV last night.

The proponent said they would have to have medical insurance, but nothing about how.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares if they can't stay longer than 90 days! The interest here is that they buy real estate, cars, and other stuff. Whether they can be in the US long enough to use or enjoy it is irrelevant.

Ian