Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This really surprised me.

This really surprised me.

Old Nov 8th 2011, 10:59 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This really surprised me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_by_exports

Expected NZ to be much higher, and OZ. UK also surprisingly high, given what we read/hear.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:03 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This really surprised me.

It does seem surprising but if you convert it into export per capita, which is more meaningful, the results are more congruent with expectation. I think it would make Australia the significantly larger exporter of the three followed by NZ then the UK. Is that more what you expected?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:29 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
It does seem surprising but if you convert it into export per capita, which is more meaningful, the results are more congruent with expectation. I think it would make Australia the significantly larger exporter of the three followed by NZ then the UK. Is that more what you expected?
I realise the per capita concept, but when you are dealing with raw materials (minerals, milk, meat etc) as opposed to finished products, these are less labour intensive, so one would expect that fewer people could 'make' more. I was more surprised at the UK figure, as we are usually informed that the UK has very week exports now.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:47 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah added value is the real issue. If NZ cuts the timber and sends it off to be processed/made into product somewhere else then that is a bad thing (really) and many people have been gazing at their navels and scratching their posteriors wondering how we can truly use these resources to our benefit rather than being the poor miner, chopper, etc in the equation.

Australian industry dwarfs NZ as does the UK. We farm, grow, dig and gather commodities, but they mainly have lower instrinsic value than the Aus ones - eg gold, rare earths, uranium, etc. So we are always going to be behind the 8 ball unless there is innovation. Kiwis seem to be OK at this but then their ideas get grabbed by overseas organisiations - again lots of navel gazing over that isssue. The absence of medium size NZ companies that can develop these ideas is the issue IMO.

Our Nat friends have torpedoed R&D here with their policy on taxation of resarch and development.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:03 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the most impressive on that list is Ireland's figure.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:22 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
I think the most impressive on that list is Ireland's figure.
Having worked there for a while in the late 90s, I am surprised, although much of what they did do back then was re-export, taking goods intended for the European market and re-package/assemble them. They were developing a sound pharma industry at the time though.