British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is it really the differences? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/really-differences-727299/)

lardyl Aug 8th 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Is it really the differences?

Yes, one loved the coloured bags that "the man" from waitrose delivered one's shopping in...........but one can't quite seem to get the staff in the colonies :rofl:

Howick Aug 8th 2011 8:37 pm

Choco Cake,

Your comment 'Participation wise football (what's soccer?) probably rivals or even exceeds rugby participation for kids'.

The problem with soccer here in NZ is that the participation rates fall away at the critical age, that is, 13-19 years......if thr coaching co- ordinator for the club I coach at, is to be believed. Chris has been at the club for years & doesn't see any improvement. If it isn't losing talent to rugby, it's to skateboarding, grog, girlfriends, etc.

It must be mostly the strikers who are quitting the game, as I have been very, very impressed with the national U17 & U20 teams at the world cup, particularly at the back & keeping. We just haven't been able to find the net.

BEVS Aug 8th 2011 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by bananalana (Post 9544240)
I live in Oz and I spend about twice what I did in NZ on a weekly grocery shop .

Depends how much your net earnings are. Our personal grocery bill for the basics has certainly increased in price , however net earnings have not matched that increase. If anything that has dropped.

they used Foodtown, which is much more expensive than say countdown or woolies or pak n save
Actually, as someone that price checked all the supermarkets for several years, I can honestly say they are all much of a much. Their prices are all very similar . PaknSave might come out marginally cheaper but not on all stocked items. It is the marketing that gives people this perception of P&S.

Foodtown is Woolies & Countdown.

Foodstuffs is New World. Fresh Choice, 4 Square and Pak&Save

P18PPS Aug 8th 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 9544000)
Not so sure I would want to break into their little clique groups anyway I'm happy with my friends mostly British

ahh - so you are of the "them and us" mould!!?!

:)

billingham Aug 8th 2011 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 9545768)
ahh - so you are of the "them and us" mould!!?!

:)

Overly simplistic - it is cause and effect.

Stormer999 Aug 9th 2011 7:45 am

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9545796)
Overly simplistic - it is cause and effect.

That sounds overly complicated.......:D

billingham Aug 9th 2011 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 9546636)
That sounds overly complicated.......:D

I wish we lived in simpler times. It is so tempting to stick some cotton wool in your ears and 2 pencils up your nose - but like they said - who would notice a mad man around here. :)

bananalana Aug 10th 2011 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9545762)
Depends how much your net earnings are. Our personal grocery bill for the basics has certainly increased in price , however net earnings have not matched that increase. If anything that has dropped.

Actually, as someone that price checked all the supermarkets for several years, I can honestly say they are all much of a much. Their prices are all very similar . PaknSave might come out marginally cheaper but not on all stocked items. It is the marketing that gives people this perception of P&S.

Foodtown is Woolies & Countdown.

Foodstuffs is New World. Fresh Choice, 4 Square and Pak&Save

So as a percentage of weekly take home wages, I used to spend probably about 15-20% in NZ. In Oz I would consistently spend 30-35% of my weekly take home pay on food alone.

Luckily we are a two income family!!

I used to work at Pak n Save many years ago and changed to shopping there as I always found my grocery shop was much cheaper there, often saving 20 or 30 dollars a week. Perhaps that is because of shop n go so you can keep an eye on what you are spending.

Here in oz we shop at woolies, or sometimes at our local (which is a rip off but convenient). We never shop at Aldis....there is nothing there LOL. No selection at all.