British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is it really the differences? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/really-differences-727299/)

DC10 Aug 4th 2011 11:09 am

Re: Is it really the differences?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9537218)
they've every right

I think that choice of words is very unfortunate. Expats (and I am one) don't have the "right" to much, frankly

billingham Aug 4th 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9537189)
I thought the same actually until I had lived here for a while, I had Aussie friends in London and never had any difficulties with them, assumed Kiwis would be similar. They're not and I should have listened to those Aussie guys, cos they all laughed and thought I was mental coming here, as has every other Aussie I have met since.

If you asked all of those other nationalities; I bet most would have similar difficulties getting on with Kiwis. I talk to all nationalities German, Spanish, Indian, Philipino, African, South African, Serbian, Bosnian, Russian, you name it and the same negative themes come to the fore when discussing the pros and cons of this country and it's people. Other nationalities make the mistake of thinking us Brits are interchangeable with Kiwis also and expect us to just slot right in, they are often surprised to find that we're not very much alike and that we will actually talk to them.

There's an awful lot of sad and lonely expats out here and not all of them are Brits.

I hear what you are saying - but you must have also heard the truism about warring family members 'They are too alike'. For example, regardless of nationality, many move to NZ for the lifestyle - Kiwis are pretty big on that - or financial reasons - Kiwis are definitely big on that.

Bo-Jangles Aug 4th 2011 11:25 am

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9537236)
I hear what you are saying - but you must have also heard the truism about warring family members 'They are too alike'.

No I don't get it at all, birds of a feather usually flock together. I could for example go on holiday to Bali *some chance sigh* next week, meet some totally random English, Irish, Scots in a bar and likely become lifelong friends with them. I can see the same Kiwis week in and week out for the past five years and never get much past that nonsense; How's it going? 'conversation'.

billingham Aug 4th 2011 11:28 am

It's this kind of bollocks actually, why so many Brits choose NZ, then they get here and find the every day reality is quite different to the travel brochure pictures.

When the reality is more like being an extra in an episode of Life on Mars, including the the added real life detail of bad clothing, mullets and large moustaches they've every right to be disappointed.

Possibly the main thing I miss about the UK - fantastic TV. That series was just excellent (well the first two were). Some of DC Hunts one liners were just so un-pc, it was a delight.

billingham Aug 4th 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9537252)
No I don't get it at all, birds of a feather usually flock together. I could for example go on holiday to Bali *some chance sigh* next week, meet some totally random English, Irish, Scots in a bar and likely become lifelong friends with them. I can see the same Kiwis week in and week out for the past five years and never get much past that nonsense; How's it going? 'conversation'.

I may be in a different position - I have Kiwi family. We get on really well and have shared some fantastic laughs and times - lovely people who I would happily spend the rest of time with. Then there are the others.

I could have written that about the UK.

Stormer999 Aug 4th 2011 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9537112)
Am I on another planet? NZ like the Uk minus 50 million people? NZ and the UK are as similar as the moon and a bar of chocolate. Anyone who comes here thinking it is a british outpost is either looney or deluded. NZ and the Uk similar my arse.

Exactly what I inferred Genesis....

whitesand Aug 5th 2011 4:05 am

billingham, I understand perfectly what you mean! I just said to my other half last week, that at times I thought I was not thousands of miles from the UK, but in some wet, boring place in the UK. When I've lived overseas before, I've also got a buzz from being there - from the pure differences in climate, the scenery, the differences in culture. I've never got that buzz here in NZ. In fact, when we first arrived here and saw Auckland I thougt if looked very much like Greenock in Scotland! This might not be so strange as both have ports along the front by the river and both look quite industrial for a city. We also went running around trying to find the 'city centre' and were really disappointed that Auckland didn't indeed seem to have an exciting core. However, where things have really moved on in many places in the UK, I feel that NZ has been like this for ever. Another thing I remember from my childhood which I hadn't seen for some time are those grey, hard pavements which are everywhere here.

luvwelly Aug 5th 2011 7:00 am

When the reality is more like being an extra in an episode of Life on Mars, including the the added real life detail of bad clothing, mullets and large moustaches they've every right to be disappointed.

or stuck in Groundhog Day but with better coffee :thumbsup:;)

luvwelly Aug 5th 2011 7:07 am

FWIW

Climate - different more sunshine hours and I had high levels in UK.

Education - can't comment as use different sectors in both countries.

Driving - similar day to day for me in Wellington. Miss motorways though, never get over 60km here.

Food - supermarket food in UK is better than NZ choice wise. Otherwise if you can pay for it you can get excellent food/meals out in both countries. They really don't excel in cakes though the recipe must have been corrupted on the journey over in the 19th Century.

Scenery - more dramatic and wild here - only parts of Scotland in UK come close. I've driven all over North and South Island NZ and am still blown away by scenery.

People - would you not say, in all honesty, that the difference between say, an Italian / French / German / African / Indian / Chinese / American etc and a Brit, is greater than the difference between a Kiwi and a Brit? Come on.

Yes I agree we are more similar to the Kiwis than the others - the language/original shared culture of Pakeha at least, makes it so.

billingham Aug 5th 2011 7:48 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 9538993)
FWIW

Climate - different more sunshine hours and I had high levels in UK.

It is quite simple, you just have to imagine, for a minute, that you are somewhere else:

UK average yearly sunshine - 1700 hours

NZ average yearly sunshine - 2000 hours

Where I am now average - 3500 hours

Relative to where I am now, UK and NZ are very similar - pretty poor.

Hellie73 Aug 5th 2011 7:54 am

I think the scenery is amazing in NZ I remember coming home (UK) from my first visit here and thinking I could never love the hills and moors again as they where so plain. It is breathtaking and the plants and flowers are vibrant.....But
I do think that NZ men are the teeniest tiniest bit chauvinistic and neanderthal I did fall in love with one but we where in the UK at the time and everything is different in the UK. My father in law is amazing (not in a good way) I thought he would need regular medical treatment when NZ had a woman for a PM.

DC10 Aug 5th 2011 8:48 am

[QUOTE=billingham;9539058]
QUOTE]

Sunshine and cloud
A sunny spring dayThe average total annual sunshine in the United Kingdom is 1339.7 hours, which is just under 30% of the maximum possible.[17][18]

Just like the 25,000 feet mountains found in "many places in the world"

martyc Aug 5th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Hellie73 (Post 9539065)
I think the scenery is amazing in NZ I remember coming home (UK) from my first visit here and thinking I could never love the hills and moors again as they where so plain. It is breathtaking and the plants and flowers are vibrant.....But
I do think that NZ men are the teeniest tiniest bit chauvinistic and neanderthal I did fall in love with one but we where in the UK at the time and everything is different in the UK. My father in law is amazing (not in a good way) I thought he would need regular medical treatment when NZ had a woman for a PM.

The men that you and I married are the ones who deigned to travel and realise that there is a world and life outside of NZ. Mr C seems far less chauvinistic than his friends who havn't left NZ.

billingham Aug 5th 2011 9:10 am

[QUOTE=DC10;9539124]

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9539058)
QUOTE]

Sunshine and cloud
A sunny spring dayThe average total annual sunshine in the United Kingdom is 1339.7 hours, which is just under 30% of the maximum possible.[17][18]

Just like the 25,000 feet mountains found in "many places in the world"

"The counties of Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex and Kent have annual average totals of around 1,750 hours of sunshine per year" -Wikipedia. I have compared where I used to live in the uk, to where I lived in NZ (Auckland) to where I live now.

Still crap though, isn't it, compared to 3500 hours. Nz is crap, compared to 3500 hours - go on - admit it. You can't can you.

DC10 Aug 5th 2011 9:12 am

Yes, I'll admit that. And (as with the UK) the sunshine situation is much worse the further you go from the equator (Dunedin, Invercargill c. 1500hrs).

Rather tempted to move myself somewhere genuinely sunny. Morocco has some appeal...