Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Really daft question coming up!!

Really daft question coming up!!

Old May 3rd 2008, 1:09 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really daft question coming up!!

Originally Posted by Catkin09
No not yet, but if it will help, think I'd better get myself down to Mitre 10 fast

Cheers

Catkin
I use it all year round - prevention is better than cure and I leave the wardrobe doors open every now and then with the dehumidifier going beside it to make sure damp doesn't get in.
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

No heating at all in our house, we use a gas heater and a bottle lasts us a week (cost $25 last year, probably twice that this year).
I grew up in a council house in the UK and we had open fires so we were used to getting up in the morning in the cold! We then moved to houses with storage heaters and they were never much good either!!!
Is it really so much trouble to put a jumper on? Even my OH complains he cold but then I look over and he has just a tshirt on and no socks!!! What does he expect???
Personally I would rather put on an extra jumper than pay the utility bills, but maybe I've just been here to long ?
Old May 6th 2008, 11:36 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jill stanton
I have noticed that there have been several comments about how cold houses are in New Zealand.

What sort of heating do they generally have? As like most Brits I am used to having central heating and really hate being cold.

Moved here in January 08. We asked 'the locals', all recommended a dehumidifier, we have found that since we purchased one to reduce the humidity that we no longer need heating at all. Yes it's nice to think we have the central heating that we are used to, it's a comfort think that you associate with home but do we honestly need it. remove the moisture from the air this removes the dampness and so the cold. Give it a go. it's a damn site cheaper than central heating.