Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Really daft question coming up!!

Really daft question coming up!!

Old May 2nd 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future
Default Really daft question coming up!!

I have noticed that there have been several comments about how cold houses are in New Zealand.

What sort of heating do they generally have? As like most Brits I am used to having central heating and really hate being cold.

Old May 2nd 2008, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really daft question coming up!!

Well I'm sure you'll get lots of differing opinions, but our house had absolutely no heating at all. Wasn't such a problem we had money in the initial budget to allow for this and have spent approx $12k installing heat pumps and additional insulation.

We were talking amongst some friends who are looking to get full on Central heating installed and really when you see the costs, you can fully understand why it's seldom seen.

We're really pleased with the heat pumps because we benefit from the air-conditioning in the summer too.

You'll be fine and you can make your house as warm as you like, just have to make allowances for the additional costs when figuring your budgets
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:20 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

central heating is not the norm here. Many houses (older ones) have a log burner, some with a wetback to heat the water too. Kiwis tend to heat the room they're using and shut the doors to those they're not using at the time! We had 2 heatpumps installled, one upstairs, one downstairs and between them and the log burner its nice and warm and to be honest I don't miss central heating at all now.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Really daft question coming up!!

Like you I am a cold bird and was horrified to see no central heating. We have 2 night store heaters in our rental, but we are moving house this month into our own place and there is a gas fire and a heatpump. Pellett fires are becoming popular cause they don't cause pollution. Last winter I had to have little fin oil heaters to warm the bedrooms in our rental and it cost quite a bit. It is funny how you get used to the cold. I take a hottie to bed - never liked electric blankets but may consider one this year!!! Put layers on the bed and to be honest I have not been as ill here in winter as I was back in the UK with central heating. Much healthier not to have your bedrooms blasting with heat. My daughter has viewed a few properties with Gas Central Heating which Pommies have built and are moving on and up etc. don't be too put off by it. I look on it as a challenge and it is nice to "rug up" in winter, We don't put on our thick jumpers back in the UK so much when we are indoors but here we do. The thing I like about winter here is that it is cold and crisp and not too many dreary wet days - well not here in Christchurch - she says as it is pouring with rain and blowing a gale outside. Last winter was lovely, lots of sunny blue skies with cold crisp weather, I don't think the North Island get that so much though but correct me if I am wrong anyone from the North!!

Shirl
UK to NZ 2006
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:38 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Rangiora. Last year we had electric blankets and oil filled rads in the bedrooms. This year we're just making do with flannel (sp?) sheets as well as duvets and hotties. Kids don't seem to feel the cold anyway. Even today during the giant hail storm our lad was out playing on the park with his mate!
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's key, we've got so used to not worrying about being cold or worring too much about the costs and flicking a switch for almost instant heat. It is a bit of a shock to the system and you really do have to take yourself back a few years and be a bit more savvy with the 'old' ways of your nanna.

Flannelette sheets, hot water bottles, electric blankets, pajama, slippers all become part of life. I hadn't had a hot water bottle for about 30 years since when I were a kid, but I wouldn't be without one now.
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jill stanton
I have noticed that there have been several comments about how cold houses are in New Zealand.

What sort of heating do they generally have? As like most Brits I am used to having central heating and really hate being cold.

Weve lived in three properties in Nz, none of them had any central heating, or even fireplaces. We used oil heaters in the rooms we were in, you do notice it in your utility bills over winer. Quite natural to heat the room your in and close the doors to the other rooms.
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:23 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

opening the front door to let the heat in works quite well
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

i know!! taking clothes off when you go outside is a bit of a new experience!!

(realise how that sounds i'm not a stripper honest...well not til i've had a few anyway!!)
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jill stanton

Believe it, they are cold. Some are far worse than others. Most important thing is to but one that is well positioned for all day sun, cos without central heating you will need it. Houses without good sun aspect are often damp as well as being very cold.

Gas heating is a definite plus, wood burners very common but have drawbacks. Eleccy can be very expensive. On top of all this, the actual insulation of many homes is next to non existent. Window and wall quality is often very poor.

Hot water bottles, woolly hats and socks, and double duvets are definitely things to acquire.
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:51 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think that's key, we've got so used to not worrying about being cold or worring too much about the costs and flicking a switch for almost instant heat.
D'you know I'm wondering if it's me becoming accustomed to the climate or if it really isn't so cold this year We had our woodburner lighting in the middle of April for the last two years and haven't lit it once yet this year Our house gets lots of sun though and it's never really THAT cold - I think I had the oil heater on in the bedroom 3 nights last year (that was on low all night).

Oh, one thing. If you're buying a bed here get one with a layer over the mattress - it's soooo cosy - as soon as you hop into bed you're warm. I don't know what it's called but our bed is a Sealy Posterpaedic (sp). We never have an electric blanket or hottie - the last few nights (not last night bcause it was a bit chillier) I've been sleeping on TOP of the duvet - as if it was still summer!
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:55 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

In the US they call them "pillow-top mattresses", not sure what the terminology is here. The drawback is that you can't flip the mattress to the underneath, but you can still rotate it. A really thick mattress pad is nice, too.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

The house we're renting is really hot in the summer, unfortunately in the winter it gets hardly any sun, so we're lucky enough to have a gas heater in the living room and the hall. Also have an open fire in the living room which I love to have lit, makes me feel all cosy inside

We are having to keep an eye on our clothes in the wardrobes though, the house is quite damp so we have to look out for mould on the wardrobe contents

Takes me back to when I was a kid, no central heating or double glazing. The order of the bedtime was hot water bottles, PJ's, bed socks and a jumper!! Mind you I don't think it's cold enough for the jumper just yet!

Going to look at more houses to rent this week, making sure they get plenty of sun this time. Well you live and learn by your mistakes, I think

Cheers

Catkin
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:57 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catkin09
The house we're renting is really hot in the summer, unfortunately in the winter it gets hardly any sun, so we're lucky enough to have a gas heater in the living room and the hall. Also have an open fire in the living room which I love to have lit, makes me feel all cosy inside

We are having to keep an eye on our clothes in the wardrobes though, the house is quite damp so we have to look out for mould on the wardrobe contents

Takes me back to when I was a kid, no central heating or double glazing. The order of the bedtime was hot water bottles, PJ's, bed socks and a jumper!! Mind you I don't think it's cold enough for the jumper just yet!

Going to look at more houses to rent this week, making sure they get plenty of sun this time. Well you live and learn by your mistakes, I think

Cheers

Catkin

Have you got a dehumidifer yet Catkin? You will notice a big difference as soon as you get it going - it takes the damp out of the air so it doesn't feel so cold and you're not so much at risk of mould either!
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Batty
Have you got a dehumidifer yet Catkin? You will notice a big difference as soon as you get it going - it takes the damp out of the air so it doesn't feel so cold and you're not so much at risk of mould either!
No not yet, but if it will help, think I'd better get myself down to Mitre 10 fast

Cheers

Catkin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.