British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Really boring question about washing machines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/really-boring-question-about-washing-machines-332669/)

lardyl Oct 20th 2005 9:30 pm

Really boring question about washing machines

What a way to begin as a "forumite" here in this friendly, informative place....but hey ho, seems I have to ask this rather dull question

/dons anorak and ear plugs (drone goes the drum on the old Zanussi)/

We're seriously considering a move to NZ (off to the Manchester Expo this w/e, made some email enquiries of employers and got the web-EOI almost done), now we need a new washing machine (washable nappies have seen the old one off....yuk you say, yep sluicing is not much fun!!). Received wisdom seems to be to pack all white goods, etc in shipping container and import as much as possible....sounds sensible.

The best machine for us is a LG and I'm not sure whether their parts are likely to be expensive/available in NZ (we want one of these direct drive large drum jobbies)?
Does anyone know how expensive the bits are in NZ and what are the viable alternatives??

/removes anorak/

/opens can and waits/ :beer:

JoannaD Oct 22nd 2005 3:42 pm

Re: Really boring question about washing machines

[even duller answer, not sure, but I think I might take a new washer, probably hotpoint or hoover, anyone any ideas about this?

Joanna

ps
Manchester was very hot (sauna time) hot lights and very little space. Maybe next time(hope not to be here) they could do with a bigger and comfier place

melting pot Oct 22nd 2005 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
What a way to begin as a "forumite" here in this friendly, informative place....but hey ho, seems I have to ask this rather dull question

We're seriously considering a move to NZ (off to the Manchester Expo this w/e, made some email enquiries of employers and got the web-EOI almost done), now we need a new washing machine (washable nappies have seen the old one off....yuk you say, yep sluicing is not much fun!!). Received wisdom seems to be to pack all white goods, etc in shipping container and import as much as possible....sounds sensible.

The best machine for us is a LG and I'm not sure whether their parts are likely to be expensive/available in NZ (we want one of these direct drive large drum jobbies)?
Does anyone know how expensive the bits are in NZ and what are the viable alternatives??

/removes anorak/

My mother inlaw came out with and electolux machine,and has had no problems getting parts...most of the main shopping areas are now seelingmore front loading machines...the only problem they had was getting new hoses when they first arrived...which was just a trip down to mitre 10...other than that...no major probs...but will save you alot of money when you get here,if you can bring your own. Also there are rental shops for white goods,so you could always do this while waiting for container to arrive

babybella Oct 22nd 2005 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl

/removes anorak/

Not sure if I ever saw LG in NZ do a search on Noel Leeming (electrical shop) and see if they come up. I must say since being in the UK and using a front loader machine I think I do prefer them. I used to find strange holes sometimes in our clothes caused by the top loader.
Cheers
KAZ

sky Oct 22nd 2005 8:09 pm

We have a top loader but I've noticed more front loaders coming into the shops now. I would bring one with you because the font loaders here still have quite small drums and don't look very robust. I have no idea how you would go about getting parts though.
We bought a top loader once here because we just thought thats all they sold in NZ and didn't think there would be any difference between top and front loaders but ours has slowly over nearly two years destroyed and ripped every item of clothing we have put in it.
All my towels are beginning to get tiny holes in them and fraying round the edges and even though it has no middle column it still pulls stuff completely out of shape.

lardyl Oct 22nd 2005 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by JoannaD
even duller answer, not sure, but I think I might take a new washer, probably hotpoint or hoover, anyone any ideas about this?
Joanna
ps
Manchester was very hot (sauna time) hot lights and very little space. Maybe next time(hope not to be here) they could do with a bigger and comfier place

thanks folks....did find a repair company that claims to do LG washing machines in Wellington area - but at what cost...?? Only one way to findout I suppose....
regarding the Manc Expo today, yep, it was warm but I got almost all I wanted, except my employer of choice, ESR, weren't there and I found I missed them as they were in London....grrrr...more research required - and now more rest.... :zzz: :zzz: