Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is it really better than the UK

is it really better than the UK

Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it really better than the UK

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Yeah. To many people 'want' to love it and consider it a climb down if they can't make themselves love it. They seem to have an expectation on themselves and carry the expectation of people they know to love it from day one of arrival. Have a fabulous life, live in a permanent state of excitement, never look back and only pause to criticise the UK. Is this because despite how 'happy' they insist the are, they have to be defending their position ?
there's a grain of truth there.....and of course the opposite applies, I want to justify to myself/family/forumites the decision to leave so NZ is crap, NZers are thick, etc, etc....

if the apple fanboi and Samsung fanboy are not going to agree over a smart phone/tablet then what chance have the UK-fanboi and NZ-fanboi over a decision that affects the rest of their lives and that of their nearest and dearest?????

anyway on the subject of should I/shouldn't I?
my boss in the UK said something along the lines of..... if you go it might be the wrong decision but if you stay you'll always be wondering if that was the case, remember you can always come back......
he got the last bit wrong (for me with unusual circumstances) but the first part was spot on.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:31 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
there's a grain of truth there.....and of course the opposite applies, I want to justify to myself/family/forumites the decision to leave so NZ is crap, NZers are thick, etc, etc....

if the apple fanboi and Samsung fanboy are not going to agree over a smart phone/tablet then what chance have the UK-fanboi and NZ-fanboi over a decision that affects the rest of their lives and that of their nearest and dearest?????

anyway on the subject of should I/shouldn't I?
my boss in the UK said something along the lines of..... if you go it might be the wrong decision but if you stay you'll always be wondering if that was the case, remember you can always come back......
he got the last bit wrong (for me with unusual circumstances) but the first part was spot on.
The main thing I used to do on my days off were shop in the uk - god its amazing over there, my sth african friend and I would window shop all day long for about 6 hours (as girls do) and then go into a cute little pub for a drink and to go through our purchases. If your wife likes shopping that way then she won't like chch at all - basically 2 malls(small ones). She could to aussie like we do for girls weekends and spending sprees. Auckland has better shopping but the best shopping is in the uk.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
If your wife likes shopping that way then she won't like chch at all - basically 2 malls(small ones).
ChCh has several malls - the biggest is Westfield Riccarton with around 190 stores. The 2 other main ones would be The Palms (around 110) and Northlands (around 100). There are other smaller malls and there is also Re Start, the container shopping centre with more of the boutique feel to some of its retailers.
No, they are not like Bluewater in the UK, but they are shops and you can still spend your money in them .
Or, you can windowshop online and get your stuff sent over
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:32 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chippy64
ChCh has several malls - the biggest is Westfield Riccarton with around 190 stores. The 2 other main ones would be The Palms (around 110) and Northlands (around 100). There are other smaller malls and there is also Re Start, the container shopping centre with more of the boutique feel to some of its retailers.
No, they are not like Bluewater in the UK, but they are shops and you can still spend your money in them .
Or, you can windowshop online and get your stuff sent over
Oh yes I forgot about the container mall in the cbd thats true.That's actually really cool. All I know are westfield riccarton and northlands mall. After one hour I am bored shopping in chch, that's all I'm saying but in the uk it was large enough and with enough variety to shop all day long but hey you are right that you can't compare and you can always shop on the internet which is very common these days!!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
Oh yes I forgot about the container mall in the cbd thats true.That's actually really cool. All I know are westfield riccarton and northlands mall. After one hour I am bored shopping in chch, that's all I'm saying but in the uk it was large enough and with enough variety to shop all day long but hey you are right that you can't compare and you can always shop on the internet which is very common these days!!
I see where your coming from with that

We used to live 20 minutes drive from Lakeside and would go there (just to shut the wife up before she goes whinging about my morning round of golf). Lakeside shopping centre is fantastic, my goodness she does miss that place - well actually I think its more misses New Look, Miss Selfridges, Juice Bar and Top Shop

The ones here are mainly Farmers, K-Mart and Glassons that she goes into every time and picks the same shirt that hasn't been sold for 29 weeks now to have a look.

Northlands I can tolerate, Westfield is like walking through Central London, The Palms is bearable as it can be quiet on the odd occasion

I do prefer the choice of foods in the malls here than I do back at the likes of Lakeside, Bluewater, Meadowhall, Saddlers and The Bull Ring. Give me an all you can eat Hungry Wok any day of the week. Shamiana, urgh - but the Indian place in Eastgate is yummy. I do wish there were the Sushi places that had the moving thing here. That used to be fun
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
I do wish there were the Sushi places that had the moving thing here. That used to be fun
If grossly over priced.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevedun4
if all 'ex pats' are as cheery as some of the replies ive seen on here today perhaps NZ aint all that and I'll look up canada.
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh

We're in Canada but would love to move to New Zealand. The majority (not all but most) of the Brits we've met here don't like it and would like to either move elsewhere or back to the UK.

Trying to compare the different countries is like apples to oranges, they're both fruit but completely different. Countries that are English speaking are somehow expected to be similar, but they're not. And it's not that one or other is bad or worse, it's that they're different, and will suit some better than others.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:19 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh

We're in Canada but would love to move to New Zealand. The majority (not all but most) of the Brits we've met here don't like it and would like to either move elsewhere or back to the UK.

Trying to compare the different countries is like apples to oranges, they're both fruit but completely different. Countries that are English speaking are somehow expected to be similar, but they're not. And it's not that one or other is bad or worse, it's that they're different, and will suit some better than others.
What an intelligent comment. Thank you.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, ive been looking into moving over to NZ for a while now, 4th interview with a large construction company coming up this week so my dream is becoming a possibility now. If all goes well what I really want to know is how many people see their moves as a success and are you happier or missing eastenders and aunty gladys more than you thought? I have beento nz previously as a backpacker 11 years ago whilst single and I loved it but living there....? Christchurch will be my destination. My wife loves shopping so theres a negative for her, im wondering how she will evolve into a quiter lifestyle, any ideas on my thoughts??

Thanks in advance
I cant imagine anyone coming to Christchurch for shopping.
If you are worried about missing East Enders definitely don't come - I haven't heard anyone mention it in 10 years.
I guess there will be plenty of building work in ChCh, if you like heading off into the mountains at weekends , then maybe youll like it.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
If you are worried about missing East Enders definitely don't come - I haven't heard anyone mention it in 10 years

Actually made me wonder if it's still on, I have not seen or heard anything of it for yonks and nobody ever mentions it. When we came here it was eighteen months out of date so I simply stopped watching it.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Actually made me wonder if it's still on, I have not seen or heard anything of it for yonks and nobody ever mentions it. When we came here it was eighteen months out of date so I simply stopped watching it.
It's still on the UKTV channel and only a few weeks behind England
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chippy64
ChCh has several malls - the biggest is Westfield Riccarton with around 190 stores. The 2 other main ones would be The Palms (around 110) and Northlands (around 100).
but they all contain the same boring shops selling the same boring stuff....oh and you forgot The Hub & Dressmart at Hornby
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixiewink
but they all contain the same boring shops selling the same boring stuff....oh and you forgot The Hub & Dressmart at Hornby
Then she will feel at home
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Hi all, ive been looking into moving over to NZ for a while now, 4th interview with a large construction company coming up this week so my dream is becoming a possibility now. If all goes well what I really want to know is how many people see their moves as a success and are you happier or missing eastenders and aunty gladys more than you thought? I have beento nz previously as a backpacker 11 years ago whilst single and I loved it but living there....? Christchurch will be my destination. My wife loves shopping so theres a negative for her, im wondering how she will evolve into a quiter lifestyle, any ideas on my thoughts??

Thanks in advance
We all have a story to tell, most of which I am sure have already written posted on here...

At the end of the day....you have to really think WHY NZ? WHY CANADA? WHY MOVE? Think about that question first then go from there....

NZ has its own problems....same as any other country in the world; child poverty..yes free breakfasts in low docile schools on the cards....financial imbalance between cost of living & wages...crime....no ReadyBrek or Flumps...

Seriously though you need to look within yourself if you really want to live on this remote island...if you both will cope with the change of lifestyle - cos if ones not happy it can make the others life miserable....just ask my OH..
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:34 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixiewink
We all have a story to tell, most of which I am sure have already written posted on here...

At the end of the day....you have to really think WHY NZ? WHY CANADA? WHY MOVE? Think about that question first then go from there....

NZ has its own problems....same as any other country in the world; child poverty..yes free breakfasts in low docile schools on the cards....financial imbalance between cost of living & wages...crime....no ReadyBrek or Flumps...

Seriously though you need to look within yourself if you really want to live on this remote island...if you both will cope with the change of lifestyle - cos if ones not happy it can make the others life miserable....just ask my OH..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.