Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it really that bad??

Is it really that bad??

Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:01 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it really that bad??

It's all relative though isn't it and it depends on whether you're going because of the pull or the push.

A move from inner city grind in Glasgow to self sufficient rural lifesyle in South Island is going to be a step up for most people. It all depends what you're looking for in life and if you think you're going to find it in NZ.

Even when you get there circumstances may change for you and cause you to review your situation. Don't see it as a permanent move until you've been in NZ for a few years and have decided that you want to buy into it. Emigration doesn't have to be for life.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

here's one for you to chew over:
If you speak to people candidly then in some areas of the workplace there is resentment about NZ management and a failure of NZ organisations to take on board what is best practice or good practice, be it in UK, US, Europe or South Africa (mainly in my experience). Some people are quite vocal about this others keep it to themselves.
Personally this is the thing that I find most annoying about NZ as I have experienced it myself and heard it from the vast majority of ex-Pats I have worked with or who have voiced a detailed opinion to me. My wife has also noticed it working with a wide variety of education/health professionals - you might also see it surfacing on these forums in places.
This will have less of an effect on you if your work does not involve these principles and it is not something that you will learn about on a reccie or holiday or that someone will come up to you at a job interview and discuss.....but the issue is there and for some people it is why they are biding their time before heading off to Oz or back to the UK.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:20 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

It's certainly the elephant in the room.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr
Look at San Fransisco. A proper country with a solution NOT a lame excuse.
I love San Fran, would LOVE to live there. Might have to divorce the Kiwi OH and find myself an American one.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:26 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lexylou
I love San Fran, would LOVE to live there. Might have to divorce the Kiwi OH and find myself an American one.
Find yourself a rich daddio, 'cos sister, dem rents are ball-breakers in San Francisco.

Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lardyl
here's one for you to chew over:
If you speak to people candidly then in some areas of the workplace there is resentment about NZ management and a failure of NZ organisations to take on board what is best practice or good practice, be it in UK, US, Europe or South Africa (mainly in my experience). Some people are quite vocal about this others keep it to themselves.
Personally this is the thing that I find most annoying about NZ as I have experienced it myself and heard it from the vast majority of ex-Pats I have worked with or who have voiced a detailed opinion to me. My wife has also noticed it working with a wide variety of education/health professionals - you might also see it surfacing on these forums in places.
This will have less of an effect on you if your work does not involve these principles and it is not something that you will learn about on a reccie or holiday or that someone will come up to you at a job interview and discuss.....but the issue is there and for some people it is why they are biding their time before heading off to Oz or back to the UK.
Interesting.

Can you give examples of bad practice (as opposed to 'good practice') that upsets ex-pats?

Being self-employed, I haven't had any personal experience of management systems in NZ.

Ta
Kip
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Find yourself a rich daddio, 'cos sister, dem rents are ball-breakers in San Francisco.

hahaha... yes I had thought of that! There was a time in my life when I might have managed to pull that off but now a bit long in the tooth! But I can dream! I have fancied living there for such a long time. My favourite city in the entire world.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:23 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

My favourite city in the entire world.
San Francisco is built in a spectacular location and there is a unique vibe about the place.

Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happynz
San Francisco is built in a spectacular location and there is a unique vibe about the place.

I quite agree. It has something for everyone and I cannot wait for my next trip out there. Used to visit about once a month in the late 90's. Those were the days.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:53 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
A move from inner city grind in Glasgow to self sufficient rural lifesyle in South Island is going to be a step up for most people.
That's a commonly held belief but I'm not sure how true it is. Whilst (and I speak from experience) inner city Glasgow is a pretty tough existence it doesn't follow that being dropped in the middle of the countryside is a 'step-up'.

There's plenty of countryside almost exactly like NZ only an hours drive from Glasgow and the fact that Glaswegians haven't all just upped sticks and moved would seem to indicate they are 'happy' where they are.

And, once again, the South island might well be a 'step-up' in terms of healthy living and fresh air...but it's hardly a 'step-up' on any other terms, is it?

(runs away)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:15 pm

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kippers
Interesting.

Can you give examples of bad practice (as opposed to 'good practice') that upsets ex-pats?
I'd be interested to hear examples too. We haven't had any complaints from our ex-pat staff (about kiwi OH).
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Avid
That's a commonly held belief but I'm not sure how true it is. Whilst (and I speak from experience) inner city Glasgow is a pretty tough existence it doesn't follow that being dropped in the middle of the countryside is a 'step-up'.

There's plenty of countryside almost exactly like NZ only an hours drive from Glasgow and the fact that Glaswegians haven't all just upped sticks and moved would seem to indicate they are 'happy' where they are.

And, once again, the South island might well be a 'step-up' in terms of healthy living and fresh air...but it's hardly a 'step-up' on any other terms, is it?

(runs away)
very true. I am about 1 hour away from Glasgow and it could not be more different! Watched a programme tonight on the gangs in London and Glasgow I live in a different world to that.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

As an Essex family still in the UK at the moment im finding this thread really negative...Is it the common old english moaning culture showing through?. Surely people should be weighing up what they have rally gained from being in NZ and encouraging others. If people are really that disapointed as to their lifestyle they have now in NZ then for gods sake change it, im sure they did the hard work by getting out there.

We are just about to do a reccie in march with the intention to move there for good. To be honest im starting to feel a bit disheartened by the picture some people have painted before i even go.
I dont need anyone to fill me with "its all good" info to make me decide what im going to do and I do appreciate an honest comment, thats why i use this site.
It just seems a hell of a long way to go just to whine and moan about things that NZ doesn't have..

Gary
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wessa
As an Essex family still in the UK at the moment im finding this thread really negative...Is it the common old english moaning culture showing through?. Surely people should be weighing up what they have rally gained from being in NZ and encouraging others. If people are really that disapointed as to their lifestyle they have now in NZ then for gods sake change it, im sure they did the hard work by getting out there.

We are just about to do a reccie in march with the intention to move there for good. To be honest im starting to feel a bit disheartened by the picture some people have painted before i even go.
I dont need anyone to fill me with "its all good" info to make me decide what im going to do and I do appreciate an honest comment, thats why i use this site.
It just seems a hell of a long way to go just to whine and moan about things that NZ doesn't have..

Gary
But those very things are people's opinions. Like it or not. People will say it as they see it. One mans pleasure another mans poison. Only YOU can decide if you will like NZ, and you will do that by visiting it and making a decision. Everything else is just chewing the fat. Everyone on here regardless of being 'positive' or overtly 'negative' has a right to say what they feel and think. When people ask for opinions then that is what they get. If you want edited feedback then ask for that.

At the end of the day, only you can decided and frankly if some negative comments can make you questions things and research more than that has to be a good thing for you and your family. As I said, the only person that knows what you like is you and if someone else misses M&S or Eastenders or good shops then that is up to them.........

People often come on here asking for 'real' feedback and the 'truth' but I think often they only want to hear how good their lives will be and what a great decision they are making. No one can tell you that. Only you will know and the truth over is that even a trip over to see the place won't really give you everything you need. Sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith and forget what other people say.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

At the end of the day, only you can decided and frankly if some negative comments can make you questions things and research more than that has to be a good thing for you and your family. As I said, the only person that knows what you like is you and if someone else misses M&S or Eastenders or good shops then that is up to them.........

People often come on here asking for 'real' feedback and the 'truth' but I think often they only want to hear how good their lives will be and what a great decision they are making. No one can tell you that. Only you will know and the truth over is that even a trip over to see the place won't really give you everything you need. Sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith and forget what other people say.
I agree with everything you've said there lexylou.
Yes it has helped with us questioning the real NZ which is what we really need to use to weigh up reality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.