Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it really that bad??

Is it really that bad??

Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:10 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice
Default Re: Is it really that bad??

Originally Posted by daveandjue123
hey Nice Guy,

Think he got his degree from ebay

Pascalr, I've been in property all my life in one way or another. Just worked on a 2 yr old office complex where the plaster is falling off the walls when painted. It boils down to craftmanship, good and bad everywhere. from what I know NZ is about the same as Oz except for the roof thing. Still not sure what your fascination with Oz is about am I missing something???????????
Australia just suits me better I guess.

No, there's more to it than that.

I have a friend (kiwi) who bought a 'house' in Aro Valley, Wellington eight months ago for $550 000 nzd. I would call it a wooden shed.

Great in the summer but freezing in the winter. He spends a small fortune on heating using a 'heat pump' (crap) and has to wear layer upon layer of clothes, a beenie, scarve etc if he plans to spend any length of time in the house. Now in this day and age can that be right?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:16 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by irnbru14
You're a happy chappy aint ya!

Whats a fact, that construction is not an exact science and things may go wrong, well duh!!!

I work for Fletchers, having had 8 years of working in construction in the UK, you get problems everywhere mate, simple as that.
No, for the umpteenth time in a recent Sunday Star Times (Can't be bothered to trawel for it now but will do if you continue to be so dismissive about it) article the building standards here were compared to that of a third world country.

So its worse than 'things may go wrong'.... duh!! (how mature)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr
No, for the umpteenth time in a recent Sunday Star Times (Can't be bothered to trawel for it now but will do if you continue to be so dismissive about it) article the building standards here were compared to that of a third world country.

So its worse than 'things may go wrong'.... duh!! (how mature)
So you are basing this on some random article in the press, great!

Comparing what I've seen in the UK to what I have seen here so far, and IMHO my current opinion is that there is not much difference in standards. Thats what I'm saying, geddit?

And read what I mean instead of taking what you want out of my posts will you??

And your kiwi friend should perhaps have considered teh property better before investing in it
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Australia just suits me better I guess.

No, there's more to it than that.

I have a friend (kiwi) who bought a 'house' in Aro Valley, Wellington eight months ago for $550 000 nzd. I would call it a wooden shed.

Great in the summer but freezing in the winter. He spends a small fortune on heating using a 'heat pump' (crap) and has to wear layer upon layer of clothes, a beenie, scarve etc if he plans to spend any length of time in the house. Now in this day and age can that be right?
Last winter there were only 1 or 2 frosty days, winter only lasts a few weeks. This post is a gross exagerration ! When it is sunny in winter it is very warm in the sun
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Last winter there were only 1 or 2 frosty days, winter only lasts a few weeks. This post is a gross exagerration ! When it is sunny in winter it is very warm in the sun
stroll on
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough

hey guys

Chill, get back to constructive stuff, don't get personal. I have mate inthe uk who have ice on the inside of their windows. now in this day and age thats c**p. But like Irnbru says everywhere has its probs.

We have family in Oz and they have to check the house everyday for snakes and spiders or the wife won't get out of bed.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandjue123
hey guys

Chill, get back to constructive stuff, don't get personal. I have mate inthe uk who have ice on the inside of their windows. now in this day and age thats c**p. But like Irnbru says everywhere has its probs.

We have family in Oz and they have to check the house everyday for snakes and spiders or the wife won't get out of bed.
Thats one way for her to get breakfast in bed then
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by irnbru14
So you are basing this on some random article in the press, great!

Comparing what I've seen in the UK to what I have seen here so far, and IMHO my current opinion is that there is not much difference in standards. Thats what I'm saying, geddit?

And read what I mean instead of taking what you want out of my posts will you??

And your kiwi friend should perhaps have considered teh property better before investing in it
Leaky homes in the UK, mmm don't think so. In the UK we accept the fact that we have crap weather and build accordingly. We DONT go around thinking its some warm pacific country with, what was it, two days of frost, I mean please.

Perhaps my friend should have invested better but his 'house' is considered prime real estate in those parts. Aro Valley, you have to check it out dude....I thought I had arrived in deepest, darkest Wales....uurrrgh

Anyway Irnbru I'm off to enjoy whats left of this lovely day. Guess its a little windy there?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Leaky homes in the UK, mmm don't think so.
Actually, there were similar in the UK. It was to do with the cladding & materials sued on the exteriors of the houses.
However, this would be off-topic and I am sure the OP would rather the pros and cons of NZ life were discussed .
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Leaky homes in the UK, mmm don't think so. In the UK we accept the fact that we have crap weather and build accordingly. We DONT go around thinking its some warm pacific country with, what was it, two days of frost, I mean please.

Perhaps my friend should have invested better but his 'house' is considered prime real estate in those parts. Aro Valley, you have to check it out dude....I thought I had arrived in deepest, darkest Wales....uurrrgh

Anyway Irnbru I'm off to enjoy whats left of this lovely day. Guess its a little windy there?
I know plenty of folks who have had leaky homes in the UK, like I said, go look up the issues that folks have had with Persimmon over the last few years...sheesh its shocking the aftercare service they don't provide...

Nah, no wind here mate, another lovely Welly day

Sorry Bevs, we digressed!

Still think there are way more pro's to living here in Wellington and in NZ than cons, loving that it takes me 10 mins to drive to workm a drive that would take me at least 3 times that back home in Edinburgh, loving the relaxed lifestyle and slightly slower pace of life, the get out and do it deal here where as at home people are always looking for excuses not to do stuff...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is it really that bad??

Hi there all i just came across this post. i have lived in NZ for 31yrs and have lived in the country and built a new home on our farm and have also lived in the city and i have to say that i think everyones perception of what they think is different because we are all individuals.

One thing i have however noticed (at the risk of being shot down) is that a lot of people want NZ to be the same as where they have come from and find it hard at first to adjust to their new chosen country with such things as heating, driving, wages, clothes shopping the list goes on but the fact is that Kiwis are very laid back and they enjoy the outdoors, water sports etc and i feel that a lot of this is what attracted a lot of immigrants to NZ in the first place but being on "holiday" somewhere is way different to actually living there.

I find it quite "different" when returning to the UK that in the middle of winter people are living inside wearing tshirts because of the constant warmth with central heating but i believe that when in rome do as they do so i just do the same, it would be rude of me to pick spots off someones elses way of living when i have just arrived and expect the whole country to change because i am used to doing things differently.

I arrived in New Zealand with my kiwi husband at the age of 18 we had just $400 and a baby at that stage and had to find a home and work to survive (he had family here but we lived in the middle of nowhere at Wairata in the middle of the waioweka gorge as we had found employment on a sheep station there, those of you that have passed through there will realise how isolated it is) my parents in the Uk didnt have a telephone so it was 18months before i ever got to speak to them again. I couldnt drive and we were 3/4hr from the nearest shops let alone somewhere to eat out. Our house was old with a tin roof with the odd leak here and there but we didnt care it didnt have to be perfect for us.

I found it interesting when i arrived here all those years ago that i had to adjust my way of dressing slightly as it wasnt suitable for farm life and walking down the driveway to collect the mail in my high heels and tights just was not functional lol and i was at risk of a twisted ankle on the gravel driveway i could still have my nice hair but some things i had to adjust to but complaining about how they did things here wasnt going to get me many friends so i adjusted. I dont feel that in NZ there is the same having to keep up with the jones attitude.

I would imagine that the "lighter" roofing materials are because you wouldn't get such a sore head as you would if in an earthquake a concrete or lead tiled roof fell in on your head, and the old corrugated iron roofs are awesome when it rains heavy the noise can be amazing. The newer coloursteel roofing is very functional and never needs painting as the colour is baked on but does need to be professionally installed and i have had both. (my son is a builder)

New Zealand is indeed a beautiful country but is also a very long way away from friends and family but if you really like your chosen country then distance should be able to be worked on but in saying this these are things that need to be carefully considered before moving an entire household from one country to another.

New Zealand is not the UK and no one should want it to be that way that is why it is so unique and it holds a different beauty for everyone.

No one knows what changes are around the corner in life, i thought that i would live in NZ forever being married to a kiwi but the kiwi had a midlife crisis lol and found himself a new model of female and now i am faced with the decision of being here and having 2 sons and 3 grandsons and the rest of my family being in the UK. Would i leave NZ yes if i didnt have grandchildren i would return home but not because NZ has nothing to offer me or because i dont like the way they do stuff over here its just that my circumstances are now different and the pull of family is stronger when they become older and start dying off.

Why this long post?
My theory is that wherever you are and at what ever stage of life you are at get your head down and make the most of things, a country isnt going to change for anyone person its up to the people to adapt to where they have chosen to move to make the best of what they have and if they cant get english sausages or whatever try something else, theres always an alternative in life thats what makes life so interesting.
To all that are venturing out this way do your homework and be prepared to accept that things are different......All the best for your future plans. Have a great week!
Cheers
Cally

Last edited by cally49; Jan 28th 2008 at 1:00 am.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You get karma for that Cally. A worthwhile post.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is it really that bad??

Originally Posted by BEVS here
You get karma for that Cally. A worthwhile post.
Hi there Bev and thanks for the karma have some karma back (i hope it works)
Cheers
Cally
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:53 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cally49
Hi there Bev and thanks for the karma have some karma back (i hope it works)
Cheers
Cally
Hurray a sensible person! I like you
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default We can't go on forever with suspicous minds.........

Fancy that, so your a kiwi. Oddly enough I had my suspicions.
Huh????

Why are you suspicious of my citizenship?

NG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.