Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it really that bad??

Is it really that bad??

Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really that bad??

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
But that would be a good start nevertheless, oh for a Jaffa Cake........
They are not as nice as you remember them from childhood....sweet tasteless and full of chemicals.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Things I disliked about NZ (and they were in IMHO bad):
[*]The weather - too much rain, not enough continuous hot sunny beach weather.[*]Shit public transport and a dependence on cars.[*]Expensive food and housing versus wages[*]Isolation coupled with expensive airfares mean few opportunities to travel or escape.[*]Kiwis inability to accept or offer any criticism on their country - the continuous 'bet you're glad you moved here from the UK' type comments when actually both my husband and i preferred the UK.[*]Constant one upmanship of Kiwis, yes be a proud nation but boastful is a nasty trait, and makes you look plain dumb when it is obviously not true!

We were there 3 years and we honestly needn't have bothered could have stayed just for a holiday.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by luvwelly
They are not as nice as you remember them from childhood....sweet tasteless and full of chemicals.
They're not? But what happened to that ooey gooey sticky orangey delicio squidgy bit in the middle? Ooooh, and that dark chocolate over the orange and the spongey cake. I used to like to eat the layers off mine. First the orange and chocolate together, then a bit of orange on its own, and then the sponge bit with chocolate. Mmmmmmmm.

I need a childhood Jaffa Cake.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hubbard
[*]Kiwis inability to accept or offer any criticism on their country - the continuous 'bet you're glad you moved here from the UK' type comments when actually both my husband and i preferred the UK.[*]Constant one upmanship of Kiwis, yes be a proud nation but boastful is a nasty trait, and makes you look plain dumb when it is obviously not true!

That's very true, actually. It got REALLY nasty when England won the Rugby World Cup. They were soooooo seething with jealousy they went demented with the green eyed monster.

I loved it that England won and I don't even like Rugby. lol.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:36 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Interesting thread and as usual here on BE it ends up a bun fight so I shall post my text and fire-up my bun shields

Having just spent nearly the whole of January in Scotland, travelled a lot of the country and met up with lots of people, many of whom are self employed there. Here's my 5 cents worth.

Having lived in NZ for nearly three years now I am certainly far from settled.

NZ has the third highest priced housing in the world and crappy wages. The average wage in Auckland (the commercial capital of NZ) is around $38 K. should buy you a caravan if you live on bread & water.

The driving here is shocking. In the month we were in the UK if I used the hooter twice it was a lot. Drove back from Auckland airport and within ten minutes there was an idiot riding on my tail in a hurry to get nowhere fast. Personally you can tell a lot about a country by their courtesy (or lack of) on the road.

Our friend that picked us up tells us that there are gangs on the rampage on the North Shore that have been beating folk nearly to death and this is happening in very affluent areas, Milford & Takapuna. I believe aunty Helen’s response is to increase the school leaving age to 18. That speaks volumes.

There has been several people on this thread commenting on being self employed, being in the UK for several weeks has been a wake-up call for me as to how small the NZ market really is and in many instances Kiwis are very pro-Kiwi, just look at how many businesses are prefixed with Kiwi !

Being self employed and having exposure to many NZ companies and some of those are NZ iconics it is scary in terms of the lack of development. For example, in 2005 I did some work with a company that were doing very well and running Windows 3.1 on a 486. Scary stuff.

In my experience many NZ companies resist investing in themselves and putting money back into the companies to improve. Seem to be stuck with the she’ll be right thing.

One of my friends in Scotland recently bought a commercial property in Dundee for £45 K, two street level offices in a fairly good location and three bed roomed flat upstairs. It was certainly a fixer- upper (which he has) £45 is currently NZ $114, what you get for that in NZ as an investment or whatever?

Personally I think NZ is Mickey Mouse and it is marketed as otherwise.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Campbells
Interesting thread and as usual here on BE it ends up a bun fight so I shall post my text and fire-up my bun shields

Como?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:39 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

That's very true, actually. It got REALLY nasty when England won the Rugby World Cup. They were soooooo seething with jealousy they went demented with the green eyed monster.

I loved it that England won and I don't even like Rugby. lol.
Ahem

I think South Africa won the Rugby world cup
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:40 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

They're not? But what happened to that ooey gooey sticky orangey delicio squidgy bit in the middle? Ooooh, and that dark chocolate over the orange and the spongey cake. I used to like to eat the layers off mine. First the orange and chocolate together, then a bit of orange on its own, and then the sponge bit with chocolate. Mmmmmmmm.

I need a childhood Jaffa Cake.
You should get an Ozzie mate to send you some - they sell them in Coles.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Ahem

I meant the one before. Remember when England won? All those many moons ago back in 2003?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nerine
You should get an Ozzie mate to send you some - they sell them in Coles.
You can be my Ozzie mate Nerine. Pweeze send me a box of Jaffa Cakes.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:55 am

Ahem

. Too many smashing organgey bits in the middle I think
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:57 am

You can be my Ozzie mate Nerine. Pweeze send me a box of Jaffa Cakes.
I'm sure you can find something much nicer made in NZ
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

There has been several people on this thread commenting on being self employed, being in the UK for several weeks has been a wake-up call for me as to how small the NZ market really is and in many instances Kiwis are very pro-Kiwi, just look at how many businesses are prefixed with Kiwi !

Yep, they're even stubbornly patriotic when it comes to cheese and wine. Seriously. Listen to this, I went to a fancy schmancy deli to put together a nice food hamper for someones birthday and they got all the cheeses out for me to try. Anyway, the very helpful assistant asked me sort of sheepishly "Would you like to try the Australian cheeses?"

huh?

I was like "Of course!" and then she said "that's cool, it's just that most wont try them because they're Australian" - I was like "WUT?" I couldn't believe how ridiculous that was and told her that I wanted the best cheese and couldn't care less if it came from tim-buk-tu, just bring me the best cheese please! (in my best dramatic Marie Antionette impersonation).
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nerine
I'm sure you can find something much nicer made in NZ
Yep, in my own kitchen made by yours truly. I make a mean Louise Cake.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:16 am
Banned

Yep, they're even stubbornly patriotic when it comes to cheese and wine. Seriously. Listen to this, I went to a fancy schmancy deli to put together a nice food hamper for someones birthday and they got all the cheeses out for me to try. Anyway, the very helpful assistant asked me sort of sheepishly "Would you like to try the Australian cheeses?"

huh?

I was like "Of course!" and then she said "that's cool, it's just that most wont try them because they're Australian" - I was like "WUT?" I couldn't believe how ridiculous that was and told her that I wanted the best cheese and couldn't care less if it came from tim-buk-tu, just bring me the best cheese please! (in my best dramatic Marie Antionette impersonation).
Of course the Kiwis make better Cheese than the Swiss & better wine than the FRench, didn't you know that ?

They even make better Jaffa Cakes just ask any Kiwi, just make sure they understand that you mean a biscuit and not eating Aucklanders, not sure if that tradition is still practiced

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.