Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it really that bad??

Is it really that bad??

Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it really that bad??

Originally Posted by lardyl
agree totally, but it is the attitude that many of us have come up against that "Kiwi is good. Rest is bad."

Ah, ok, yes I understand where you're coming from now. That is the very annoying "one-eyed" kiwiness which I find irritating. Yes, that happens all the time. Usually uttered by kiwis who haven't been anywhere else, lol.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:58 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Ah, ok, yes I understand where you're coming from now. That is the very annoying "one-eyed" kiwiness which I find irritating. Yes, that happens all the time. Usually uttered by kiwis who haven't been anywhere else, lol.
cool......sorry if I was getting a bit over-wraught about it but it too drives me nuts.....
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Again it seems we are at cross purposes, noone says that ex-Pats should take over Govt or institutions, just that our ideas, methods of working, good practice, standards, and the like should be considered a bit more seriously rather than being dismissed out of hand!

Ok, I agree with that. I think this issue prolly goes deeper than just a dismissive attitude. I think NZ is really striving to be independant in doing things their "own way" like a sort of rebellious break with its colonial past.

There are upsides and downsides to that, of course.....
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:01 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't agree with that assessment. There are a lot of things here that the Brits could learn from. It's Britain that's on the decline not NZ. And if all one wants is a mini-Britain then go back. But the real point is, people are leaving Britain exactly because it sucks over there. So accepting that NZ is getting some things "right" is exactly the reason why most of us stay or want to come.
You say you've been in the country for 10 years but yet you don't see the decline? find that hard to believe. You say that NZ is getting some things "right" but what are they?

Why should any potential immigrant choose NZ over any other country in the world?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:01 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

But hang on, I was responding to a post which was suggesting that we should be allowed to IMPOSE OUR WAY of doing things on a country where we are the immigrants. This is NZ. It's not Britain or anywhere else. Of course we bring our culture and our way of doing things but to expect to impose that on a society where we are integrating into is exactly why Britain is in the turmoil it's currently in. Britain has turned in to a place where the immigrants are insisting on THEIR WAY in a country which is not theirs to the detriment of the native Britains.

It's not good to have the pendulum swung too far in either direction. I agree that there are many things here which need improvement but there are also some things here which are ahead of Britain.
Which 'native Britains' would that be then?

I'm not of the opinion that the UK has gone to the dogs, but there are problems, true!

I was responding to this hardline post of yours:

I don't believe that migrants are brought in to introduce "whatever" way of doing something. They are brought in to enhance the workforce with their skill not to change the infrastructure. So with respect, if something is "not how its done in NZ" then that's the way it is.
that I disagree with. Immigrants aren't (and shouldn't be) asked to leave their intellect, culture and experience at the border- enhancing the workforce will result in change- how can it not? Perhaps I've misunderstood you- sorry!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:02 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
You say you've been in the country for 10 years but yet you don't see the decline? find that hard to believe. You say that NZ is getting some things "right" but what are they?

Why should any potential immigrant choose NZ over any other country in the world?
Are you serious?

You must have had a terrible time in NZ!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

You say you've been in the country for 10 years but yet you don't see the decline? find that hard to believe.

Why?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Are you serious?

You must have had a terrible time in NZ!
that's what I was thinking.....
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cool......sorry if I was getting a bit over-wraught about it but it too drives me nuts.....
No probs lard. Sometimes it's hard to communicate everything just with text on a white screen, I totally dig where you're coming from though....
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Can I just repeat this

I was at pains to state that the prevailing attitudes are not in response to the overseas person necessarily making any suggestions or comments.
Yes, I know you did say that Bevs.
But others have given it different slant...

lardyl said:
Most clear thinking people with enough self-confidence to accept criticism and change can cope with an outsider coming in and suggesting this or that be changed and have the ability to take on board what is useful and put aside that which is not - but it seems that many in NZ are unable or unwilling to do any of that and simply reply with "that's how we do it here"

Kip
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Why does anyone go anywhere? If one wants a more relaxed pace of life they wouldn't be going to NY, would they?

It depends what people are looking for and what they want out of life (or what they want to put into it). But NZ is just as viable an immigration destination as anywhere else, imo. I believe NZ offers a good standard of living, prolly not the highest in the world, but certainly not the worst.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I was responding to this hardline post of yours:

that I disagree with. Immigrants aren't (and shouldn't be) asked to leave their intellect, culture and experience at the border- enhancing the workforce will result in change- how can it not? Perhaps I've misunderstood you- sorry!

The reason you prolly felt I was being "hardline" is because I felt like I was having to respond to something hardlined, even extreme.

I never suggested that immigrants be asked to leave their intellect, culture, and experience at the border. I'm simply making the statement that an outside attitude which believes it has the "right" to impose its own way on a country it is supposed to be integrating into is taking liberties and is hardlined itself.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 1st 2008 at 2:19 am.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:17 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

There are heaps of variables I would think. I think it is fairly easy to immigrate here to New Zealand compared to the US. Aussie is a bit anal about gray hair. South Africa has crime issues that make New Zealand's problems pale in comparison.

I'm sure there are other reasons. Maybe someone saw a broadcast of a cricket match in Queenstown and was so blown away by the setting that they decided whatever the cost, it'd be good value to live in such a beautiful place. There are those that are not price sensitive and can afford to live anywhere and for whatever reason New Zealand is a place they find contentment.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

You say that NZ is getting some things "right" but what are they?

Plenty of things, particularly the balance between work and life. Tourism. The environment. Art. The indigenous culture is interesting and promoted (albeit there are problems but not as marked as some other indigenous peoples have suffered). Tertiary education is affordable and accessible. Starting a business is encouraged and supported.

The weather is great, the people are (generally) pleasant and easy going (when they aren't being "one-eyed," lol). The lifestyle is relaxed and conducive to enjoying life rather than having to battle ones way through monotony......
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS here

Instead of taking advantage of the changing times and new technology , our experience has been that they will deride new methods , preferring a sort of group hug approach that their old ways are the only and best ways to operate.

LOL! The "group hug approach." That's classic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.