Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The real New Zealand picture thread

The real New Zealand picture thread

Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:37 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The real New Zealand picture thread

Originally Posted by dreamfish
have just read this post from start to finish.
I just wanna say THANK YOU for a fantastic laugh - the best i have had in ages. Laughed so much, my pelvic floor gave way.

brilliant post - good to see you again Burt .

avid - keep up the good work!!

off to mop up....
Waaaay too much information
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:39 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
have just read this post from start to finish.
I just wanna say THANK YOU for a fantastic laugh - the best i have had in ages. Laughed so much, my pelvic floor gave way

Lucky you...I've just got this awful 'varnished cork' floor that makes the house twice as cold as it should be.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
As I was told countless times by estate agents "Its NOT wriggly tin! Its called Longrun!"

Burt
I think that's a uniquely NZ euphemism. Just looked it up on google.
I've never seen so much of the stuff in person since I travelled
upcountry from Nairobi.

You know what's worse? We have a fence made out of what I
can only describe as the poor man's wriggly tin! I thought it
was corrugated iron, but as it turned out, it's just corrugated. I tried
drilling a hole a few months ago and discovered its made out of
some now decaying, crumbly, friable unknown matter. We share the
fence with our next door neighbors, so we can't knock it down.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
There is no punishment good enough for people who make diminutives. It makes me feel violent. (Note 'feel', not 'be'.)
Hi Mazi,
Good to see you back!

I wholely agree with you. I was being diplomatic when I said "getting
out of hand." I sould have said "completely unacceptable!"

In Spanish it's so different, isn't it? Diminutives can connote tenderness
and affection, or given the mood, mockery. It is embarrasing to
hear them used without restraint, as it is commonly done here in NZ.

As you might remember the NZ Herald actually publishes headlines that
sound something like:
"Kindy chrissie prezzies stolen by Aussie postie during family barbie"

So much for journalistic standards.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:46 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
You know what's worse? We have a fence made out of what I
can only describe as the poor man's wriggly tin! I thought it
was corrugated iron, but as it turned out, it's just corrugated.
You obviously have 'shortrun' then.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lexylou
is that seriously the view from over your street?
Yes it is. And the other "lifestyle" photo I posted is directly across
the street too. We live on a corner lot. It wasn't easily taking these
photos surreptitiously, as you can imagine.

Here's a photo of my fence a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails The real New Zealand picture thread-grafitti.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:49 pm

Yes it is. And the other "lifestyle" photo I posted is directly across
the street too. We live on a corner lot. It wasn't easily taking these
photos surreptitiously, as you can imagine.

Here's a photo of my fence a few months ago.

Does it say 'Church Boys' ? If that's the Sunday School then what are the other kids like?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:53 pm

I'll try putting a photo up.....it's my garden. I'm convinced it is full of giant spiders and have only been in it once.......
Attached Thumbnails The real New Zealand picture thread-001.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avid
Does it say 'Church Boys' ? If that's the Sunday School then what are the other kids like?
You're right! It does. I was so upset painting over the whole thing
I didn't take time to consider the different messges.
When I work with the teenagers at the local school I notice their
handwriting looks like graffit script. I said to one, "Hey, that
looks familiar. Did you grafitti my fence?!" The kid seemed flattered
I said that.

A lot of kids here do go to church, often wearing woven mat skirts.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:06 pm

A lot of kids here do go to church, often wearing woven mat skirts.
So..all your neighbours settled from Tonga, then? I haven't even started my 'South Sea Islands' culture shock yet....
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll try putting a photo up.....it's my garden. I'm convinced it is full of giant spiders and have only been in it once.......
You have a lovely garden. I see bougainvilleas and angel-winged begonias.
Nice, low maintanance flowering plants.

Forget giant spiders! I found two of these already. I didn't garden
for days afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails The real New Zealand picture thread-weta2.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:23 pm

I'm not even going to click on that.

Despite being married, I'm sure my fear of insects is obvious proof of my homosexuality in most NZ men's eyes.

Not that I have actually spoken to any NZ men outside of shopping.

(But when the head of the country has a lavender marriage then people are bound to see them everywhere........)

Last edited by Avid; Apr 26th 2007 at 11:26 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

You obviously have 'shortrun' then.

Excellent!

I will remember to use that as a selling point. Sounds efficient.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not even going to click on that.

Despite being married, I'm sure my fear of insects is obvious proof of my homosexuality in most NZ men's eyes.

Not that I have actually spoken to any NZ men outside of shopping.

(But when the head of the country has a lavender marriage then people are bound to see them everywhere........)

Oh no! Aren't you sporty? Don't you live for footy? Otherwise you may
not seem blokey enough for them.

Shopping for hair product?

Here's some photos of what you can expect if you venture into the
coutryside. We saw this critter on the way to the coast.
Attached Thumbnails The real New Zealand picture thread-walking-stick1.jpg   The real New Zealand picture thread-walking-stick2.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:42 pm

Oh no! Aren't you sporty? Don't you live for footy? Otherwise you may
not seem blokey enough for them.

Shopping for hair product?

Here's some photos of what you can expect if you venture into the
coutryside. We saw this critter on the way to the coast.
Great idea!!! Give the insects money to make them go away!

Well....it's worth a try.

I'm sporty enough...but it's the wrong sport...still, we have (covers eyes) Wellington Phoenix starting in the A-league soon. Wellington Dodo would have been a better name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.