Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The real New Zealand picture thread

The real New Zealand picture thread

Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The real New Zealand picture thread

Originally Posted by Lexylou
It is really quite simple. If you don't like what you are looking at or reading then don't look. You are just stating the obvious. If someone has an opinion that differs from you then live and let live. Don't let it rattle your cage and just get on with enjoying NZ. I have to wonder how much all these NZ loving posters really do love it.... seem to spend most of their time on here posting how great it is rather than out enjoying it.

Ditto Lexy..if you don't like it don't look at it..ditto if the UK is so wonderous why are you still on this forum..at least I am still an expat!!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:38 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Ditto Lexy..if you don't like it don't look at it..ditto if the UK is so wonderous why are you still on this forum..at least I am still an expat!!!!!
Meoowwww You don't have to be an expat to post on this forum ... didn't you know that?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Avid
Deary me! 95% of the posts on this forum are amazingly upbeat and positive to the point of madness (and I mean that in a good way) but try and get a few light-hearted moans in and you soon get jumped on!

(Then again....don't most of the posters here work in 'correctional facilities' ?)

The success rate of people moving to Australia and New Zealand appears to be around 60%. It seems that 40% come here for a while and then go...who knows? Back home with their tails between their legs, I guess. Poor things. So a mouldy window reflects the feelings of a sizable minority!
There is a reason that anything slightly negative is jumped on, and that is because the site is monitored by realestate agents, European and luxury car sales persons, high end goods retailers and, it has been suggested, NZIS and other government departments who are fully aware of the $ income immigration brings to the NZ economy. Look around the good housing sub divisions near to you. Who own the big expensive houses? Kywy's? No, it will be British, American, European, Canadian, South African and Other nationalities who have relocated to NZ to look for a better quality of life.

NZ simply covers up all the bad things about the country, as if a balanced and truthful picture emerged then the revenue from migration would drop and the government would have to find the money elsewhere.

Thats my opinion gained after dancing the dance!

Burt

Last edited by Burt Badger; Apr 25th 2007 at 8:53 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
You say you live in Palmerston North....so where is your quality of life? Though I guess that if you lived on the UK minimum wage in a run down area that it would be some kind of improvement.

I'm glad that you are happy living the dream................in Palmerston North LOL
Burt dear, my quality of life come from having no mortgage and an investment that pays me money each month rather than in the UK where I paid the bank each month..here they pay me. That means I do not have to work and my family can spend more time together. I have a swimming pool, try to find a lido in the UK..all shut because they are too expensive. I live in a beautiful, quiet, zero crime neighbourhood. I do not have to put up with traffic, noisey neighbours, dumped cars and pissed youths on my doorstep...which was my life in Northampton. The rear of my house in NZ has views of mountains..in Northampton it was drug dealers on the common. I have no fear of any type of crime where I live whereas in Northampton I was. I have more things to do here than I ever did in Northampton. we had one toddler group a fortnight..over here I have scores each week to choose from. I am only 35 mins to the beach..in Northampton it was once maybe twice a year we got to the sea. My kids have so much here that I could not give them in the UK. In the UK I only ate fillet steak once every 5 years..here I eat it when I like. I have jet boating, gorge walking, white water rafting, golfing, affordable flying lessons (if I choose) 25 parks and reserves, 10 cinemas, three theatres and about 70 restaurants to choose from. I could go on Mr Badger but I guess by now you get the point of the quality of my life in comparison to what i left in the UK. Laugh out loud why don't you??? I do every day I wake up. Ta ta.:thumbsup

And don't come back with some crap repost about the reality of the quality of MY life...you asked me...I merely answered. If you don't like the answer don't reply. Righto?

Last edited by Genesis; Apr 25th 2007 at 8:49 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Cleese tirade upsets Kiwis
Email Print Normal font Large font March 7, 2006 - 12:54PM

John Cleese has upset the mayor of Palmerston North by calling the city the "suicide capital".
Photo: Reuters

Advertisement
AdvertisementComedian John Cleese has upset officials of a New Zealand city by describing it as the country's "suicide capital".

Cleese said he had a "bloody miserable time" in the North Island city of Palmerston North during a live show tour of New Zealand last year.

The Monty Python and Fawlty Towers star made the comments in an audio diary on his website about the My Life, Times and Current Medical Problems tour, which he will take to Australia later in the year.

Cleese heaped praise on other towns and cities where he performed, but introduced Palmerston North as the "suicide capital of New Zealand".

"If you wish to kill yourself but lack the courage to, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick," Cleese said.

"We stayed in a little motel, the weather was grotty, the theatre was a nasty shape and the audience was very strange to play to.

"We had a thoroughly, bloody miserable time there and we were so happy to get out."

The mayor of Palmerston North, about 150km north of Wellington, was not amused.

"Obviously he still has trouble with his medical problems and may need some more medication," Heather Tanguay told the Manawatu Standard newspaper.

Tourism official Julia Sanson said: "We are just sorry that John didn't have more time in Palmerston North and the Manawatu region to form a qualified opinion.

"I think we all know not to take him too seriously," she told the paper.

However, some of the city's businessman see opportunity in Cleese's views.

"Boring Palmy ... let's build on that," joked chamber of commerce chairman Paul O'Brien, suggesting tours of Palmerston North's dullest places and meetings with resident bores.

AAP

......Living the dream?.......

Burt
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Burt Badger;4694240]There is a reason that anything slightly negative is jumped on, and that is because the site is monitored by realestate agents, European and luxury car sales persons, high end goods retailers and, it has been suggested, NZIS and other government departments who are fully aware of the $ income immigration brings to the NZ economy.

What are you on Brocky boy?? Monitored by the government and luxury car sales people...arf arf..are you sure? And by the way I lived in a great house in a naff area and we had an income of over £50 k...so we were not as you suggested in your previous reply..still you believe that we are all being watched don't you?? Bye for now.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Cleese tirade upsets Kiwis
Email Print Normal font Large font March 7, 2006 - 12:54PM

John Cleese has upset the mayor of Palmerston North by calling the city the "suicide capital".
Photo: Reuters

Advertisement
AdvertisementComedian John Cleese has upset officials of a New Zealand city by describing it as the country's "suicide capital".

Cleese said he had a "bloody miserable time" in the North Island city of Palmerston North during a live show tour of New Zealand last year.

The Monty Python and Fawlty Towers star made the comments in an audio diary on his website about the My Life, Times and Current Medical Problems tour, which he will take to Australia later in the year.

Cleese heaped praise on other towns and cities where he performed, but introduced Palmerston North as the "suicide capital of New Zealand".

"If you wish to kill yourself but lack the courage to, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick," Cleese said.

"We stayed in a little motel, the weather was grotty, the theatre was a nasty shape and the audience was very strange to play to.

"We had a thoroughly, bloody miserable time there and we were so happy to get out."

The mayor of Palmerston North, about 150km north of Wellington, was not amused.

"Obviously he still has trouble with his medical problems and may need some more medication," Heather Tanguay told the Manawatu Standard newspaper.

Tourism official Julia Sanson said: "We are just sorry that John didn't have more time in Palmerston North and the Manawatu region to form a qualified opinion.

"I think we all know not to take him too seriously," she told the paper.

However, some of the city's businessman see opportunity in Cleese's views.

"Boring Palmy ... let's build on that," joked chamber of commerce chairman Paul O'Brien, suggesting tours of Palmerston North's dullest places and meetings with resident bores.

AAP

......Living the dream?.......

Burt
Now just how long did the venerable Mr Cleese reside here? Do you not think that some one who has 'danced the dance' for 2 years ( as you put it Mr B) has a slightly better handle on things than someone paying an over night visit? I would not dare suggest that life in North Beds is crap as I know nothing of it..other than the traffic jams in any populated part of the UK.

So if you choose to believe him why not? It is strange that I can fully, wholly and totally believe that you are happy and having a good if not marvellous quality of life in your neck of the woods yet you fail to accept that I may have similar quality of life? Interesting, no?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:05 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Now just how long did the venerable Mr Cleese reside here? Do you not think that some one who has 'danced the dance' for 2 years ( as you put it Mr B) has a slightly better handle on things than someone paying an over night visit? I would not dare suggest that life in North Beds is crap as I know nothing of it..other than the traffic jams in any populated part of the UK.

So if you choose to believe him why not? It is strange that I can fully, wholly and totally believe that you are happy and having a good if not marvellous quality of life in your neck of the woods yet you fail to accept that I may have similar quality of life? Interesting, no?
You seem to take folk not liking NZ as a personal insult, gosh your posts are so angry
Calm down for goodness sakes
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sky
Meoowwww You don't have to be an expat to post on this forum ... didn't you know that?
Likewise Sky you DONT have to be returning to the UK to be able to post on there. Awfully touchy you Britishexpat lot aren't you??
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sky
You seem to take folk not liking NZ as a personal insult, gosh your posts are so angry
Calm down for goodness sakes
'Meeoow'...and yours are not??? Perchance you need to calm down too??
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:07 am
sky
Banned

Likewise Sky you DONT have to be returning to the UK to be able to post on there. Awfully touchy you Britishexpat lot aren't you??
huh you lost me there you been down the pub today?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:10 am
sky
Banned

No answer .... does that mean yes
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Gawd! Who cares what John Cleese thinks.
Doesn't he live in America?
Doesn't think much of his homeland either then

The reason he dumped on PN was cause he got the raspberry from the audience.
Tired show by all accounts and he muffed it. :curse:

Kip
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:41 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

There is a reason that anything slightly negative is jumped on, and that is because the site is monitored by realestate agents, European and luxury car sales persons, high end goods retailers and, it has been suggested, NZIS and other government departments who are fully aware of the $ income immigration brings to the NZ economy.

Tell me about it! All my PMs and karma have come from 'commission only' estate agents who think 'lived in Japan' equals 'money to spend'

Last edited by Avid; Apr 25th 2007 at 10:11 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

my husband is a kiwi. My daughter is half Kiwi so as I have actually LIVED in NZ and am married to one, I have as much right as you to post here. ALso I usually post on another part of this forum as I might be an expat soon again so PLEASE..... take your rant somewhere else.

Oh and I did like it that is why I looked. I think Burts posts are great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.