Reload this Page >

Real fish and chips

Real fish and chips

Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Wiganscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Real fish and chips

Hi
I've been in Auckland now for two weeks and living it. One thing is missing.....
A real fish and chip shop. Fish is fine over here but the chips are all frozen.

I'm looking for real fresh potato chips?

Would really love any help on this one would be fabulous

Thanks

Wiganscot
Old Jul 4th 2015, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real fish and chips

Originally Posted by Wiganscot
Hi
I've been in Auckland now for two weeks and living it. One thing is missing.....
A real fish and chip shop. Fish is fine over here but the chips are all frozen.

I'm looking for real fresh potato chips?

Would really love any help on this one would be fabulous

Thanks

Wiganscot
Hmmm if you fancy a trip to Wellsford, go to Jesters, in the food hall place opposite the Police Station. Really good chips
Old Jul 4th 2015, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I so miss proper chippy chips too with lashings of vinegar. Oh and mushy peys, pey wet n gravy!
The fish is alreet here so long as the batter cooked long enough. Couldn't recommend one in Auckland.

Lookin forward to proper english fish n chips when we go back home for a holiday soon.
Dunno which Wigan chippy gonna get my money yet. I'm thinkin maybe Peter's up Hawkley Hall, or the one ont' A49 at Goose Green or Gidlow Lane chippy near th'Hen Hole or even Jimmy's on Wigan Lane. Decisions Decisions. May have to try em all :-)

p.s. wiganscot I'm assuming you're from Wigan with the forum name ?
Old Jul 4th 2015, 8:04 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best fish and chips I've had was on Waiheke Island. I can't remember the name, but I'll look it up if you are going over there. Can't promise the chips are not frozen though. I prefer the crispy chip rather than the soggy ones that you sometimes get.

I'm guessing you're more likely to get fresh cooked fries from a restaurant. Ask before you order.

I think the Snapper is always worth paying more for.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 9:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nowhere near Auckland at all but we can get a reasonable fush and chups down at Mapua Wharf Smokehouse takeaway. Good batter if not too late in the day . The fush of the day is the better one and they seem to now have a reasonable handle on what a chip actually is , although still not quite the ticket.

Obviously as you can guess from this , I prefer my chips to be chips and not elongated roast pots or oblong wedges.

Could go a chip butty now and it's not even 10 a.m.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

The ancient mariner on mt eden road does decent fish and chips. Piha has the best hot chips, I reckon
Old Jul 5th 2015, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Very disappointed with the English Fish and Chip shop in Tauranga. Nicely served in a wire basket, but English... NO WAY. Chips far to thick and cooked to order, rather than served up from a proper fish and chip cooking range.

They did do nice mushy peas.

Gill and Rob
Old Jul 5th 2015, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the delights of a flaccid Pukka Pie
Old Jul 6th 2015, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Very disappointed with the English Fish and Chip shop in Tauranga. Nicely served in a wire basket, but English... NO WAY. Chips far to thick and cooked to order, rather than served up from a proper fish and chip cooking range.

They did do nice mushy peas.

Gill and Rob
Which one was that Gill and Rob ?
Old Jul 7th 2015, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, whilst the fish can be very good (Blue Cod yummy, yummy) - I find all chips here very more miss than a hit

Perhaps if fish and chip shops cut down on putting 5 tons of salt over them, they may be better. Or in the case of Noddys fish and chips on State Highway 1 in Woodend... Sugar!
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Which one was that Gill and Rob ?
Fish Box English Fish and Chips , just off Maunganui Road with the entrance on Rata Street, opposite Breakers cafe.

Sadly disappointing.

Gill
Old Jul 7th 2015, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Fish Box English Fish and Chips , just off Maunganui Road with the entrance on Rata Street, opposite Breakers cafe.

Sadly disappointing.

Gill
Yeah I agree.
It was pretty good the first time we went but hasn't been as good the few times we've been since.
The Yorkshire guy that owned it has now sold it on. He apparently got a job offer he couldn't refuse. It is still there though so I assume another chip shop owner has bought it?

We'd say the best fish we've had was from Bobbys fish market chippy at the end of the strand Tauranga as you just have so much choice, although the chips still not as good as proper potato chips from home.

It is what it is though. I'd rather complain about the chips and live in NZ than love the chips and complain about the UK ;-)
Old Jul 7th 2015, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to find a decent fish n chips anywhere in NZ to match that available from several local ones back in England. The fish portions tend to be tiny, with chips the absolute opposite - usually you need to order two or three fish per person, and a single portion of chips between 3 to get normal sized portions.
Oh, and yes, miss mushy peas for sure. Also fish n chips in NZ certainly isn't fast food, with it being cooked to order there's always a long wait.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
It is what it is though. I'd rather complain about the chips and live in NZ than love the chips and complain about the UK ;-)
Quite!
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Sherwood Takeaways in Browns Bay do hand-cut chips.Their $10 pack is a decent feed for two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.