Real Estate

Old May 4th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of
Default Real Estate

We are coming over to NZ at the end of May to have a look around before we take the plunge and I wanted to have a look at some prospective areas to live. My question is, I would like to take a look around a couple of houses maybe, just to get a feel of whats on offer but how will the real estate agent take it as we have no intention of buying right now but just want to look round. I basically want to see what you get for your money but cant tell the agent that or he wont show me round cos I'm wasting his time. How shall I pitch it so hes keen to show me some houses?
I'm not nosey....honest
Old May 4th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Estate

Originally Posted by ezzkazz
We are coming over to NZ at the end of May to have a look around before we take the plunge and I wanted to have a look at some prospective areas to live. My question is, I would like to take a look around a couple of houses maybe, just to get a feel of whats on offer but how will the real estate agent take it as we have no intention of buying right now but just want to look round. I basically want to see what you get for your money but cant tell the agent that or he wont show me round cos I'm wasting his time. How shall I pitch it so hes keen to show me some houses?
I'm not nosey....honest
There are loads of estate agents that set up open days for people selling, for you to go and have a look around. They don't know where your from, or whether your really interested in buying. Just go and have a look.
Old May 4th 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
There are loads of estate agents that set up open days for people selling, for you to go and have a look around. They don't know where your from, or whether your really interested in buying. Just go and have a look.
Hi ezzkazz. As simonmarkellis says, the open day would be the way to go. The agents put up signs leading to, and big banners outside, the house to be sold. Haven't been to one myself, but I think you have to put your name down in a book when you go in. I know that my neighbour went to one just to see what the house near hers was like inside - she had no intention of buying it - just for a nosey around!
Round here most of them seem to be on a Sunday and each property is only open for 40mins- 1 hour. There is a free paper, called the Property Press, that gives the adresses and times for the open homes in the area - a good place to plan your afternoon! Don't know if the Property Press is just a Wellington area thing or if it's country wide - sorry!
Good luck with your hunting!!
Old May 4th 2007, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

Real estate is very, very different over here to the UK - completely different in fact.

Bare with me, i had the 'pleasure' of working in a real estate office up until recently and had to also get qualified (my boss paid for the course - i have never in my life wanted to be a real estate agent, but anyway, at least I now understand the system!!).

All agents here work purely on commission, and houses are quite often 'general' agencies, which means that a number of different firms are all marketing the property.

Once a real estate agent 'has' you they won't want to lose you - so if you are going to go to open homes just for a nosey go with a 'new' name and cell phone number at the ready!!

Because of this issue, you get situations where an agent will sell someone a house, and then another agent will discover this and find that THEY showed that person the house 18 years ago and demand part of their commission etc. etc.... which doesn't really effect the buyer of course, but does cause all sorts of shilly-shallying around (and might explain the need to 'hold on' to you quite so tightly!).

Also, 'your' agent (if you DO find one you like and respect work with them!) can take you around, and sell you, houses that AREN'T on with them - they can work out deals with the agents who do have them.... it's much more like the american system (as i understand it).

It's a bit like seeing a house with a chap from Rightmove, expressing an interest in a house that Harcourts have on their books, and the guy from Rightmove taking you through and sorting it all out!

HTHs

SF
Old May 4th 2007, 10:07 pm
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Why not just pick up the local property papers and look for the lists of open homes?

These are usually held on a sat and sunday and each house will have a time-slot in which their house is literally open to view by anyone off the street, the agent will be there and the vendors usually just go out. You just slip your shoes off, walk-in and look round with no pressure. But you may be persuaded into filling in a visitors book, or similar.

It's possible to do a circuit of a number of properties in an area for most of the day if you get your timing right. There's also the benefit of being in the house with other potential vendors, it's quite interesting to listen in on the comments they make and the questions they ask of the agent.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:45 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulflour
Real estate is very, very different over here to the UK - completely different in fact.

Bare with me, i had the 'pleasure' of working in a real estate office up until recently and had to also get qualified (my boss paid for the course - i have never in my life wanted to be a real estate agent, but anyway, at least I now understand the system!!).

All agents here work purely on commission, and houses are quite often 'general' agencies, which means that a number of different firms are all marketing the property.

Once a real estate agent 'has' you they won't want to lose you - so if you are going to go to open homes just for a nosey go with a 'new' name and cell phone number at the ready!!

Because of this issue, you get situations where an agent will sell someone a house, and then another agent will discover this and find that THEY showed that person the house 18 years ago and demand part of their commission etc. etc.... which doesn't really effect the buyer of course, but does cause all sorts of shilly-shallying around (and might explain the need to 'hold on' to you quite so tightly!).

Also, 'your' agent (if you DO find one you like and respect work with them!) can take you around, and sell you, houses that AREN'T on with them - they can work out deals with the agents who do have them.... it's much more like the american system (as i understand it).

It's a bit like seeing a house with a chap from Rightmove, expressing an interest in a house that Harcourts have on their books, and the guy from Rightmove taking you through and sorting it all out!

HTHs

SF

Well, you know what I found out only this week? LJ Hooker & Bayleys pay retainers to their agents!! Enough to stop them from starving!

Anyway, open homes are definitely the way to go - the Herald on a Saturday also has a list of open homes - they will have the ones that are advertised in their paper and PP has the ones advertised in the PP. So, if you have both you won't miss out on any.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Ekkazz.

Open homes is the way to go without a doubt. Pick up one of the free property papers and check out the Open Homes listings. Simply select the ones that interest you. There will be a time and a day . Many New Zealanders go to open homes simply for a nosey with no intention of buying.

When we came over to NewZealand on our reccy we also popped into a couple of local real estate agents for a chat. One even took the time to give us a tour of the area and showed us around a couple of homes . We were up-front with him that we were simply getting a feel for it all and would not /could not buy right then. His view was that if he gave us good service then, we would remember that when the time came.
Old May 4th 2007, 11:27 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ezzkazz,

As so many have said, open homes are the way to go. We can often be found at the open homes around the area that we have bought our section, checking out the houses there to see what gives them value, and nicking some of the good ideas we see to include in our house.

The agents know that only 10% of people attending open homes are serious, with the rest being the neighbours (really - Kiwi's are as nosey as us Brits! ), people who may be looking to sell their own property who want to get an idea of perceived value, and those who just want to spend a pleasant afernoon wandering around other people's houses.

If you are looking at buying or selling in an area, it's also a great way to get to know the local agents outside of the one-on-one 'we're fantastic, all the others are rubbish' sales meeting they can try on, and actually see them in action.

Good luck with the recce trip!
Old May 5th 2007, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could always look on Trade me and Homesell as an example, these are private sales so therfore wont have the 'vultures' (real estate agents) putting pressure on you. Most these days have Open Homes also.
Of course to be fair to the real estate agents here, not all work on commission only, lots depend on the area, for instance in Hamilton, one agent I know gets $50k salary pa but of course much less commissions. Or she could have opted for $25k salary plus a larger commission.
So, not all are vultures, but many are.
If you want to look without pressure though, it may be worth looking at private sales, there are lots about these days.
Old May 5th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

OK cool.
Thanks everyone.
We will only have the 1 weekend on our trip so that is now booked for house looking!
It sounds quite a good idea. Especially if you are the seller. Open your home for a few hours. More like no more endless tidying and hoovering for weeks as the occasional appointment comes in, like in the UK.
My OH will be working in Prebbleton so we are going to look at Rolleston, Lincoln and maybe Halswell to begin with. Nothings definate of course about the area as we may like other suburbs when we get there.
Old May 5th 2007, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

natpryce will become famous soon enough

Hello,
Just thought I'd let you know my mother in law in NZ is a manager of a real estate office in chch. I consider her like a mum to me & know she'd take great care of you with no pressure or expectations of a sale. Yes most agents can be vultures and will hound you with calls etc following an open home so don't worry theres no way she'd do that. I trust her completely & if you even needed somewhere to stay Im sure she could help you out.
Just PM me if you want her details, I promise you she'll be more than helpful she's very sweet!
Nat
Old May 5th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Its a national sport here going to open homes at the weekend!! In my town there are scores of them every week. Go tour the homes of any city in NZ and enjoy the look inside others lives..bonus being if you look at enough 'sheds' as our houses are known you may find a shed you fancy..we did!!!!

It has to be said the average Kiwi has pretty poor furnishing taste..blue and gree leather?? On the same suite??????????????????????
Old May 5th 2007, 7:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

If you are considering building at some point ( most expats seem to!!) The builders all have show homes for you to view
Old May 5th 2007, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Its a national sport here going to open homes at the weekend!! In my town there are scores of them every week. Go tour the homes of any city in NZ and enjoy the look inside others lives..bonus being if you look at enough 'sheds' as our houses are known you may find a shed you fancy..we did!!!!

It has to be said the average Kiwi has pretty poor furnishing taste..blue and gree leather?? On the same suite??????????????????????
What is it with those swirly carpets. My god was the carpet maker blind when he designed those
Old May 6th 2007, 3:21 am
Just Joined

beaches is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Well, you know what I found out only this week? LJ Hooker & Bayleys pay retainers to their agents!! Enough to stop them from starving!
Not to all of their agents. Just to some.