Ready to go home

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ready to go home

Originally Posted by Mattyk
Most dogs big or small are a reflection of their owners, and if they cannot be bother to spend time training them you will get a disobedient animal. I've a German Shepherd who is great but I'm not happy for her to be around small children because they pull and poke dogs and think nothing of it.

People cross the road when i walk my dog but she has never shown aggression to anyone yet!?!?

Sounds like a lot of NZ dogs are free to walk the streets is this so. We are going to Rangioria nr Christchurch does anyone know if my dog will be allowed to roam free and bite folk??

Im of the belief that dogs are not allowedto roam free in New Zealand and that if they are seen roaming freely without the owner they will be promptly picked up by the dog ranger. (someone does however need to call the dog ranger though so that they can locate the dog)

I was actually speaking to a dog control officer the other day because of a neighbours dog that continually barks all day and all night and he said he had several times been out to collect this dog and return it home as its also been getting out (owners at work all day) and that it will be impounded if it continues. Any problems with dogs in NZ you should ring the local council and ask for dog control and i have been told to call whatever time of the day or night it is as even if they dont come out in the middle of the night it is recorded as a complaint.

I believe if they cannot find the owner when a dog is roaming it will be impounded and a fee required before its release. They also will seize the animal i believe if the problem continues. Im no dog hater but do feel intimidated by some of them and wouldnt hesitate to call the ranger if i saw a dog running lose in town, there are lots of children playing in the streets and its an accident waiting to happen.
I think they also have to be registered after 6months of age.
Cheers
Cally
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ready to go home

Most dogs big or small are a reflection of their owners, and if they cannot be bother to spend time training them you will get a disobedient animal. I've a German Shepherd who is great but I'm not happy for her to be around small children because they pull and poke dogs and think nothing of it.

People cross the road when i walk my dog but she has never shown aggression to anyone yet!?!?

Sounds like a lot of NZ dogs are free to walk the streets is this so. We are going to Rangioria nr Christchurch does anyone know if my dog will be allowed to roam free and bite folk??

"I don't think there's ANYWHERE else in the world that has the easy instant access to the countryside that the UK has, the fantastic public footpaths system."

Yes indeed and all the crap that goes with it, where we lived in London we could not walk 100 metres from our house on a public foot-path without having to side-step the shi** . It was everywhere, just never ending trail of poo!
People liked to keep such large dogs in tiny houses, why is this?
Sorry to go OT, hope your move back is fine and you get back into the swing of things quickly.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

being a dog owner in Nz we find it quite hard to exercise the dog,we can street walk him no problem,and they are quite strict about keeping dogs on leads here,but there is a real shortage of off lead areas where they can roam freely..also there is a real shortage of doggy bins here..IMHO i don't think they are a dog friendly nation at all..also in this day and age for a country to be still selling puppys in a glass cage the size of a fish tank in pet shops is appalling...Jacky

Last edited by garryhg; Sep 3rd 2008 at 6:36 am. Reason: adding more
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Ruzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by garryhg
being a dog owner in Nz we find it quite hard to exercise the dog,we can street walk him no problem,and they are quite strict about keeping dogs on leads here,but there is a real shortage of off lead areas where they can roam freely..also there is a real shortage of doggy bins here..IMHO i don't think they are a dog friendly nation at all..also in this day and age for a country to be still selling puppys in a glass cage the size of a fish tank in pet shops is appalling...Jacky
Quite right I find that awlful, these poor dogs in pet shops. I don't want to get on a soap box so I will leave it at that. But I do agree.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Ruzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant futureRuzuna has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Browner_
Yeah, its strange but in many ways and places there is less accessible countryside than in the UK. Certainly for dog walking many places are full of sheep or full of 1080 poison. But for me, coming from the south of England, is to notice that NZ just doesnt have the patchwork of country lanes and villages that England does. There are towns and then the rest is wilds, which is often quite difficult to get into. There is much more accessible countryside in Surrey and Hampshire than in the Wellington region.

Im a dog hater but I once took a neighbours dog for a short walk in NZ and it was a horrendous experience. I got pestered or attacked numerous times by other dogs, finally being savaged by someones loose Staffordshire. Never again.
I am a dog lover, which is why I spend my working life taking care of them , but I quite understand you feelings. I personnally wouldn't walk mine on the streets in NZ. I used to live on the back of the Blackdown Hills Somerset. You do meet the occasional prson that can't control a dog, but that more so a problem in town/city parks. Here I feel it is a major problem, and I personally wouldn't put myself or my dogs in that position.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
I don't think there's ANYWHERE else in the world that has the easy instant access to the countryside that the UK has, the fantastic public footpaths system. It's the main reason I want to return there, the thing I most love about UK. It's like the whole country belongs to everyone. You can explore every nook, every historical cranny of any place in the country that takes your fancy - just stop your car any old where that beckons and you'll find a footpath you can explore. It somehow makes it easier too if financial circumstances force you to live in a smaller home with a smaller 'section' (god I hate that word, but I'm so used to it now) even if you have children, in a village or market town for instance, when you know you have miles of walks in any direction that are accessible, or that you can visit the horses 'up close' in the paddocks down the road any time and pretend they're ' yours', LOL.

That's a brave statement to make in a thread like this, LOL!! Makes it easier though for me to say that my sentiments about other people's dogs, especially breeds like Dobermans and German Shepherds, that I have far too often met running free, are pretty much the same. My husband, a dog lover himself, was one of many bitten by a particular doberman at one of many cocktail parties where the dog, the beloved pet of the childless party giver (who was someone 'of importance' and therefore 'above the normal rules'), had free reign. At party after party, after each 'incident' the partygiver would apologize profusely, the victims would mumble words like 'oh, it's nothing' (blood running down their torn pants legs), and 5 minutes later the dog was back mingling with the guests! The partygiver used to invite me over to play bridge in the daytime, and she'd always be waiting on her terrace as I hesitated, after parking my car ,as the infamous doberman sniffed around outside my car door - "Don't worry, it's ALL RIGHT" she'd shout down to me, "she doesn't bite women!"... Aaah, o-o-ohkay, LOL!

Have you read Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a small island? He didn't find it particularly amusing himself to come across pet dogs running free on his country walks, and described vocalizing very strongly his annoyance at the dog owners... I was grateful to him for that, dogs running loose was the one and only thing (other than noticing a bit late that the 'cows' I was sharing the paddock with were in fact bulls!) that could ruin my beloved English country walks.... I've had dogs myself, but I never let them run free in any public space - I only needed to see my dachshund behave unexpectedly viciously (luckily without actually doing harm) towards one person to be ever wary ever after with all my dogs
I agree we would drive onto the moors open the doors and the dogs would have a great time, if one of my dogs saw you sayon a deer track in the forestry they would leave you turn come back to me and circle infront of me to let me know something/someone was further on. but that thats just my dogs.
I just make sure my Dobermanns are well behaved, even going out in a pack of 4 at a time. Unfortunately now the Staffy is going through the same that the Dobes, Rotties,GSD went through years ago. Some people take these types of dogs on without thinking it through , these dogs need to be socialized correctly, and they do need a job or a sport they can't just be left with no sort of trainng. I have bred Dobermanns for years in the UK. I pride myself with correctly balanced dogs who are all health tested, correctly socialized before they leave for there new homes. That aside mine are all sold under contracts and anyone wanting one of my dogs will be throughly checked out for suitability, I would never sell a male to someone who has never owned a guarding breed before.I always want to meet the children to see how they interact with the dogs and i always have a dog back regardless of age if things don't work out. and loads more stuff.
Some of us do try, but like many things in life it is a sad few that give the rest a bad name.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruzuna
You have just said it, you have your lovely family with you . I came on my own with 4 Dogs no partner to share good and bad days with.huge difference
Sorry this has turned into an anti-dog thread when it was supposed to be about your decision to return home. I have no doubt you have made the right decision for you and your dogs in the circumstances....being here alone is a totally different kettle of fish from being here with your nearest and dearest.
I am also amazed to hear about the limited access to the countryside here but then I suppose I have seen most of it so far from a car window.

Best wishes with your plans to return....
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:32 am
Banned

techieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant future

This is very interesting as you would expect NZ to be better for dogs than an overcrowded island but I can see why it wouldn't be. NZ outdoors is not always that accessible and most importantly it is not near anywhere else and lacks the numbers of people too.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
I don't think there's ANYWHERE else in the world that has the easy instant access to the countryside that the UK has, the fantastic public footpaths system. It's the main reason I want to return there, the thing I most love about UK. It's like the whole country belongs to everyone. You can explore every nook, every historical cranny of any place in the country that takes your fancy - just stop your car any old where that beckons and you'll find a footpath you can explore. It somehow makes it easier too if financial circumstances force you to live in a smaller home with a smaller 'section' (god I hate that word, but I'm so used to it now) even if you have children, in a village or market town for instance, when you know you have miles of walks in any direction that are accessible, or that you can visit the horses 'up close' in the paddocks down the road any time and pretend they're ' yours', LOL.

Thank you I couldnt agree more, and I have tried to explain this to many people in NZ. But NZ doesnt have the roads let alone the paths. Somewhere like France is similar to UK in that it has millions of country roads you can explore - but thats not the case here.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

No I dont think its legal, but there are a certain breed of dog owners that dont give stuff about the law. Its illegal to have dogs on many beaches during summer, but you will still find them there, running in and out the small kids - it makes me wild
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:48 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the original thread - Alison this article may be of interest to you to help get your feelings in perspective and to know that how you are feeling is totally normal and accepted. And for anyone else feeling homesick here ...

http://britishexpats.com/articles/mo...home-sickness/

Hope it helps.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

I've been reading this with alot of interest as I am about to embark on the EOI to come over and join my NZ family. I have 2 dogs and worry that I'm bringing them to a place they won't be welcome or have I misunderstood some of these posts? We intend to come to the South Island and very south at that probably below Dunedin. I been over a couple of times and saw massive chunks of countryside likes the Caitlins, I walked there can i not take dogs there?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute
I've been reading this with alot of interest as I am about to embark on the EOI to come over and join my NZ family. I have 2 dogs and worry that I'm bringing them to a place they won't be welcome or have I misunderstood some of these posts? We intend to come to the South Island and very south at that probably below Dunedin. I been over a couple of times and saw massive chunks of countryside likes the Caitlins, I walked there can i not take dogs there?

There's lots of land most of its farmland with fewer right of way, and farmers don't tend to like dogs on their property especially if its a sheep farm.

just like farmers in the UK
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Back to the original thread - Alison this article may be of interest to you to help get your feelings in perspective and to know that how you are feeling is totally normal and accepted. And for anyone else feeling homesick here ...

http://britishexpats.com/articles/mo...home-sickness/

Hope it helps.
Being here alone constitutes loneliness more than homesickness I'd say....I sort of know because I had 10 months abroad alone at age 21 and it was way harder (even though it was only for an academic year - it had a set end) than either Expat posting I have done with my OH and kids in tow.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Location: currently in kent (born in essex, essex girl yay) moving to raumati beach way
medwaymaiden is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ruzuna
I came out here on my own with 4 Dobermanns in Feb this year.
Now we are really homesick and I went back to the UK the first week of August for 6 days, had a great time and when I was at Heathrow and the engines roared to come back here I burst into tears and would have got off the plane if it wasn't for my dogs being here.
We are now planning to return to the UK in Feb 09 which is the earliest the dogs can travel.
I will be looking for a property to rent suitable for 6 dogs that I work Show and Breed. or a Boarding Kennel business anywhere in England or Wales.
So if anyone know of anything suitable for us please let know

< snip - mods note - please PM the opening poster.Personal details removed for OPs privacy and spam safety>

Its sad really but I really miss walking for miles across open country , I miss showing and working my dogs across UK/Europe.
I think we are very unique in the UK in the way we care and love our pets. I find it very difficult here.
I sometimes wonder why on earth I came here, things were not great in the UK but it was home and its only when you leave that you suddenly begin to appreciate what it has to offer.
Does anyone else feel the same ?
Alison
Hi Alison,
The only thing that ain't worked out for us is the apparent lack of understanding of the condition aspergers syndrome within the education system and as you say, there is no place like home but I would rather be one of those families that did it rather than one of those families that talked about it. We have some lovely memories to take home with us and thankfully I have stayed in touch with friends in UK cause so many Poms I have met have came to New Zealand, gone home after a year only to return (YES they move their furniture back and forth again!) because their friends have all moved on but then these people have not made the effort to stay in touch with their friends they left behind.
Regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.