British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Ready to Go (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ready-go-869500/)

AndyWatson1970 Dec 21st 2015 3:20 pm

Ready to Go

Now that the hard part is over (Partner Application) we now starting the planning. We are booking one way tickets for Saturday October 1st. We are flying to Dunedin for a month then heading to Central Otago (Wanaka to settle down). As we have never done this before we are looking for useful links and suggestions on what to do. Residency Visa Now that my Levy is paid, how long before I get my passport back? Removals We are looking at Kiwi Movers in South London, if anyone has used them what did you think? The link for importing household goods, where is it and is it easy to understand?

MrsFychan Dec 22nd 2015 8:22 am

Re: Ready to Go

aahhh just had someone local to me very unhappy with kiwimovers, lots of broken and cracked stuff. have you looked at others? obviously all companies are going to get some breakages on some but this person reckons the packing was substandard hence the amount of breakages and cracked TV. Our packers, used loads of wrapping bit OTT if you asked me but nothing was broken or cracked.

importing details; New Zealand Customs Service : Household items

AndyWatson1970 Dec 22nd 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11819339)
aahhh just had someone local to me very unhappy with kiwimovers, lots of broken and cracked stuff. have you looked at others? obviously all companies are going to get some breakages on some but this person reckons the packing was substandard hence the amount of breakages and cracked TV. Our packers, used loads of wrapping bit OTT if you asked me but nothing was broken or cracked.

importing details; New Zealand Customs Service : Household items

Thanks for this, we are looking for recommendations and suggestions.

Kotare Dec 22nd 2015 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by AndyWatson1970 (Post 11819485)
Thanks for this, we are looking for recommendations and suggestions.

Used PSS (and NZ Van lines this end) - did the job with no breakages at a reasonable price.

Peter

MrsFychan Dec 22nd 2015 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11819690)
Used PSS (and NZ Van lines this end) - did the job with no breakages at a reasonable price.

Peter

thats who we used, couldn't remember the name last night, also used Letton Percival for the insurance.

Kotare Dec 22nd 2015 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11819714)
thats who we used, couldn't remember the name last night, also used Letton Percival for the insurance.

Pss will put pressure on to use their in house insurance, ignore them and use Letton Percival

Peter

AndyWatson1970 Dec 22nd 2015 5:07 pm

Brilliant, thanks so much for this

escapedtonz Dec 22nd 2015 10:56 pm

We also used PSS and NZ Van Lines this end. Not the cheapest. Not the most expensive. Sales guy seemed to know the business more than the other reps. Cost approx. 5400 quid for a 40ft container Preston, UK to Wellington, NZ. If you have a job in NZ ask the NZ employer if they'll insure your goods coming over on the company insurance ? No harm in asking as they can only say no. Luckily my new company covered the lot for free and included situations like total loss as well as the usual mildew/accidental damage and the like.Otherwise, don't accept the shippers insurance as it's very expensive. Go with Letton Percival in Liverpool who'll charge about 50% less.

justaz30 Dec 28th 2015 11:08 pm

Hi - these people were excellent on the NZ end: Furniture Removals and Storage | Moving Company Auckland & Christchurch

As for the UK end, there is a company called Pack and Send - see International Shipping & Courier Services | Pack & Send I spoke to Gairn in the Guildford Office who was excellent. They have offices all over the UK.

Both Companies gave excellent service and everything incredily well packed. Hope that helps.

justaz30 Dec 29th 2015 2:07 am

Hi there - I posted earlier today but am new to this site and think I may have broken the rules by posting links. Newbie error. Anyway I was recommending World Moving and Storage in NZ for this end (NZ) and Pack and Send in the UK for your end. Both were so very helpful. Ask for Gairn at Pack and Send in the UK. Really took a lot of trouble for us and amazing service. Couldn't fault them. By the way, my brother in law is called Andy Watson and was born in 1970! ha ha. All the very best with your move. :-)

BEVS Dec 29th 2015 2:12 am

Hi and welcome to BE and the wee NZ forum.
You're fine . You haven't broken any rule. It is just the automated spam busting filtering system meant the post needed manual approval. because it came from a new user with a low post count.

AndyWatson1970 Dec 29th 2015 2:41 am

Thanks for all your help on this, everything seems so real now as my passport came through with my visa stamped in the page. The next 9 months will fly by....

StandingUpForTheUlstermen Dec 29th 2015 4:34 pm

We always rented and didn't have a mortgage. So when we moved back to my parents we sold everything we didn't need or couldn't take with us, sofas etc.

We are using seven seas to ship boxes of stuff to NZ and they seem cheap enough. Has anyone used them before.