Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Read it and weep Jafa's

Read it and weep Jafa's

Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Read it and weep Jafa's

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
It has changed a bit in the CBD - lots of new areas opening up in britomart etc - quite funky and lively - it's trying!.
City life can't be reduced to a few bars or new venues. They are important but there is so much more to a city. What makes city life so inspiring is the people! People that are interested in a wide variety of things. Aucklanders are (most of the time) small towners in their heart. They want a house with a garden, and bbq on the empty beach with their family. That is all good but it doesn't make a good city. Just take for example Munich (which is similar in size to Auckland), I pick just one little part: Munich has 2 operas and 5 orchestras (all play on a professional). The Müncher Philharmoniker, Symphonieorchester des Bayrischen Rundfunks, and the Bayrisches Staatsorchester are world renown and the best directors from all over the world come to perform here. This is possible because there are many people in Munich that are interested in that kind of music and are prepared to finance these venues. And Munich is nothing compared to London which has infinitely more to offer than Munich. I see that Auckland is trying but it still has ways to go. And I feel that the grand plans of the Auckland City Council is not in tune with what people here really want. People that like Auckland usually are in favour of the more quite lifestyle. They are not interested in opera or new ideas but more into fishing, hiking, beach, and biking. 1 million more people will definitely impact this lifestyle in a negative way. I am not sure where Auckland is going to be honest. I wouldn't mind 1 million more people but I am out of sync with the New Zealand lifestyle anyhow
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:03 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Assanah
City life can't be reduced to a few bars or new venues. They are important but there is so much more to a city. What makes city life so inspiring is the people! People that are interested in a wide variety of things. Aucklanders are (most of the time) small towners in their heart. They want a house with a garden, and bbq on the empty beach with their family. That is all good but it doesn't make a good city. Just take for example Munich (which is similar in size to Auckland), I pick just one little part: Munich has 2 operas and 5 orchestras (all play on a professional). The Müncher Philharmoniker, Symphonieorchester des Bayrischen Rundfunks, and the Bayrisches Staatsorchester are world renown and the best directors from all over the world come to perform here. This is possible because there are many people in Munich that are interested in that kind of music and are prepared to finance these venues. And Munich is nothing compared to London which has infinitely more to offer than Munich. I see that Auckland is trying but it still has ways to go. And I feel that the grand plans of the Auckland City Council is not in tune with what people here really want. People that like Auckland usually are in favour of the more quite lifestyle. They are not interested in opera or new ideas but more into fishing, hiking, beach, and biking. 1 million more people will definitely impact this lifestyle in a negative way. I am not sure where Auckland is going to be honest. I wouldn't mind 1 million more people but I am out of sync with the New Zealand lifestyle anyhow
You are right. I don't know how the stupid council think 1 million more are coming here anyway - as it seems so dead (apart from the traffic) but there is no hum or buzz in the city - its not crowded at all. They must be going to plan more immigration overtime - but it will only be the wealthy who will be able to afford it and if I was wealthy I would go to st tropez not auckland. People from asian cultures really like it here tho as they like the fact that it is empty and they also tend to be very wealthy.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
You forgot to mention Auckland's two very good orchestras, or ths visits by the NZSO. Did you go to the free ASO concerts last month - they were very good?