British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Re-training to be a CARPENTER, advice please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/re-training-carpenter-advice-please-395632/)

trippy t Sep 9th 2006 4:33 pm

Re-training to be a CARPENTER, advice please?

:) Hi, My husband is planning on re-training as a carpenter(after many years driving HGV in army). He was a chippie before he joined up. We are still considering emigrating in a few years(driving isnt a great option for this) & understand that carpenters are quite sought after.

We wondered if there are any carpenters(newly qualified etc) who have somehow managed to emigrate. Or are about to do so. How long does it take to become fully qualified(or qualified enough to emigrate)? How many years working on the job is deemed acceptable before you can apply to emigrate? Were you able to secure employement before you went? :confused:

We would really appreciate some information from anyone who feels they can help. I know we are looking a long way into the future(and the rules could all change!)but it would be good to understand how it all works & what we have to aim for to be able to make emigrating to NZ a reality rather than just a dream!

Many thanks :)
trippi t

danny.f Sep 9th 2006 7:08 pm

Re: Re-training to be a CARPENTER, advice please?

Originally Posted by trippy t
:) Hi, My husband is planning on re-training as a carpenter(after many years driving HGV in army). He was a chippie before he joined up. We are still considering emigrating in a few years(driving isnt a great option for this) & understand that carpenters are quite sought after.

We wondered if there are any carpenters(newly qualified etc) who have somehow managed to emigrate. Or are about to do so. How long does it take to become fully qualified(or qualified enough to emigrate)? How many years working on the job is deemed acceptable before you can apply to emigrate? Were you able to secure employement before you went? :confused:

We would really appreciate some information from anyone who feels they can help. I know we are looking a long way into the future(and the rules could all change!)but it would be good to understand how it all works & what we have to aim for to be able to make emigrating to NZ a reality rather than just a dream!

trippi t

Don't get me wrong-would love to come out with everyone-but my godson has been a joiner for 3 years in UK,and he is minted!! Hope the same happens for you out in NZ. Good luck! (didn't really answer the question,sorry!) :)

mcuddy1 Sep 9th 2006 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by trippy t

trippi t

Ok after many hours browsing NZI webste . There seem to be basic rules regarding the points allocation but there are some grey areas,Age family etc have implications.
Occupations on the skills shortage list with experience which is verified , along with an offer of employment in that field will see you ok for a work permitt . after which you gain another 50 points bingo . you can apply for residence.
If you have experience in a skills shortage area along with a level 5 qualification will see you ok a level 4 qualification will do for some jobs.
Recoignised qualifications HND|HNC level 5 City and guilds part 2 level 4 .
or you can hve other qualifications assessed by the NZQA . they have a web site which is very good.
Also if you have some money behind you your hubby could retrain over in NZ if you complete a course which is allocated points by NZQA you get an ope work permitt bingo your there. Also a job offer seems to be looked at very favourably and you may gain preferential treatment.
all info is there if you look at the operations manual on NZI website.Cheers. :beer: :beer:

trippy t Sep 13th 2006 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Ok after many hours browsing NZI webste . There seem to be basic rules regarding the points allocation but there are some grey areas,Age family etc have implications.
Occupations on the skills shortage list with experience which is verified , along with an offer of employment in that field will see you ok for a work permitt . after which you gain another 50 points bingo . you can apply for residence.
If you have experience in a skills shortage area along with a level 5 qualification will see you ok a level 4 qualification will do for some jobs.
Recoignised qualifications HND|HNC level 5 City and guilds part 2 level 4 .
or you can hve other qualifications assessed by the NZQA . they have a web site which is very good.
Also if you have some money behind you your hubby could retrain over in NZ if you complete a course which is allocated points by NZQA you get an ope work permitt bingo your there. Also a job offer seems to be looked at very favourably and you may gain preferential treatment.
all info is there if you look at the operations manual on NZI website.Cheers. :beer: :beer:

Hi, thanks for all the info. Has given us alot to think about. Husband is still looking at training coarses here in carpentry but not hundred percent sure what to do. It all costs time & money to change career. I think if a decent paid driving job came up he would probably go with it(though I suspect one day he may regret not getting back into carpentry!). There is also 'talk' of truckers possibly going onto the Western Austalia skills list. This has also got him thinking because he is fully experienced & fully qualified in HGV. Oh which road to take!!

Cheers
trippi t :)

BEVS Sep 13th 2006 11:41 pm

Hi Trippi T.

Please take a look at this LINK HERE which you may find helpful.

Carpentry is on the skilled shortages list. For your husbands qualification to be valid for points, they would need to be assessed at Level 4.

NZIS [ New Zealand Immigration Service] will be looking for your husband to hold , at least, an NVQ 4 or City and Guilds to advanced level. That is both C&G certificates.

With work experience, you gain points depending on how many years work experience you have. Two years valid work experience relative to your skill will gain an extra 10 points.

You would have your qualifications and work experience assessed by NZQA . New Zealand Qualification Authority. They do like any work experience for a trade to be timely.

Pleae take a good look around THIS NZQA SITE You will be able to look up the national certificate for carpentry and also the pages for overseas immigrants.

From what you have written , my suggestion would be that your husband persues upgrading his carpentry skills to a recognised UK qualification whilst working within the trade industry. Then come to New Zealand.

If you decide to train as a carpenter in New Zealand then look at THIS LINK

Your husband could choose one of several routes. What he would need to gain is the National Certificate and then maybe the Advanced National Certificate.
These are the certificates that apprentices undertake to become qualified. They are full-on courses and can take up to 4 years to complete.

From what I hear, HGV driving jobs in NZ are not that well paid. My preferred skill for your husband would be the carpentry.
It is often carpenters here that become the certified master builders . Having said that carpenters earn the same going rate as other trades whilst employed. That can be somewhere between $17 to $25 on average , depending on location and firm.

Its the skilled tilers that are charging the earth here at the moment[FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Thydney Sep 13th 2006 11:58 pm

Best advice I can give him is don't hit your thumb with a hammer :D

trippy t Sep 14th 2006 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney

VERY funny! Good advice though! ;)

trippy t

trippy t Sep 16th 2006 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hi Trippi T.

Please take a look at this LINK HERE which you may find helpful.

Carpentry is on the skilled shortages list. For your husbands qualification to be valid for points, they would need to be assessed at Level 4.

NZIS [ New Zealand Immigration Service] will be looking for your husband to hold , at least, an NVQ 4 or City and Guilds to advanced level. That is both C&G certificates.

With work experience, you gain points depending on how many years work experience you have. Two years valid work experience relative to your skill will gain an extra 10 points.

You would have your qualifications and work experience assessed by NZQA . New Zealand Qualification Authority. They do like any work experience for a trade to be timely.

Pleae take a good look around THIS NZQA SITE You will be able to look up the national certificate for carpentry and also the pages for overseas immigrants.

From what you have written , my suggestion would be that your husband persues upgrading his carpentry skills to a recognised UK qualification whilst working within the trade industry. Then come to New Zealand.

If you decide to train as a carpenter in New Zealand then look at THIS LINK

Your husband could choose one of several routes. What he would need to gain is the National Certificate and then maybe the Advanced National Certificate.
These are the certificates that apprentices undertake to become qualified. They are full-on courses and can take up to 4 years to complete.

From what I hear, HGV driving jobs in NZ are not that well paid. My preferred skill for your husband would be the carpentry.
It is often carpenters here that become the certified master builders . Having said that carpenters earn the same going rate as other trades whilst employed. That can be somewhere between $17 to $25 on average , depending on location and firm.

Its the skilled tilers that are charging the earth here at the moment[FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Hi, Thanks for going to the trouble of posting all that info. Really appreciate it. You've given us alot to think about(& look into). You are right about drivers wages in NZ. We did a lot of research into that option but felt it was too risky for us as we didnt believe it was possible to support 3 kids on the low wage...especially as its unlikely I would be able to work for a couple of years(2 of our kids are very young).

My husband is currently doing agency driving & looking into a 6 week refresher coarse in carpentry but he's still unsure whether to go for it or not.

Many thanks once again

trippy t

thebears Sep 16th 2006 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney

Not many use hammers any more

danny.f Sep 17th 2006 1:50 am

Originally Posted by thebears
Not many use hammers any more

Not many call themselves carpenters.

thebears Sep 17th 2006 4:45 am

Originally Posted by danny.f
Not many call themselves carpenters.

Ahe forgot its "Property Developer" :D