British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   RE: Mobile Broadband (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/re-mobile-broadband-640797/)

Beetrooper Nov 16th 2009 3:55 pm

RE: Mobile Broadband

Hi,

Just thought that I would pick your brains - I am bringing my netbook with me to NZ in Feb and have a Three mobile dongle. However they don;t seem to have roaming in NZ.

My question is should I buy a dongle in NZ when I get there or get a Vodaphone one here as vodaphone are in NZ?

Has anyone used a mobile broadband?

regards

Niki

Numptyhead Nov 16th 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Mobile Broadband

Originally Posted by Beetrooper (Post 8102340)
Hi,

Just thought that I would pick your brains - I am bringing my netbook with me to NZ in Feb and have a Three mobile dongle. However they don;t seem to have roaming in NZ.

My question is should I buy a dongle in NZ when I get there or get a Vodaphone one here as vodaphone are in NZ?

Has anyone used a mobile broadband?

regards

Niki

Hi Niki

We arrived here a week ago. We purchased a telecom dongle for $99 and its $29.50 for half a GB. Could have got a much better deal if we had paid $149 (called postpaid mobile broadband) for $59.95 got 2GB or $79.95 for 4GB but its a contract over 24 months and we would have been a bit of a waste when we get into our more permanent rental and sign up for broadband. be aware though, we used up that first half GB in less than a week and we were careful.
x

lapsed kiwi Nov 16th 2009 5:07 pm

Global data roaming is usually hideously expensive - ie in the order of pounds per MB, so look into this extremely carefully if you are contemplating roaming with a UK dongle.
My tendency would be to use a PAYG NZ dongle, this will see you through your initial time in NZ and then become a good device for holidays etc. There are some quite good deals around, check out the Telecom NZ and vodafone NZ websites. 2 Degrees (our third network) is also getting into the 3G race but probably not before you arrive

zoglet Nov 16th 2009 6:21 pm

Save yourself the cost until you have a permanent address. If you are in motels/hotels/B&Bs, many now have broadband access. If you are in Auckland, Esquires coffee will give you a free hour long voucher for use in that shop with every purchase(you may have to ask). Their coffee is good too!

Hope this helps.

NakiMan Nov 16th 2009 7:09 pm

In my experience, a UK bought dongle will not work in NZ unless you get it unlocked, as its locked to UK vodaphone. You will also need to buy a NZ vodaphone SIM to put in it. Total cost, about $60

NZ vodaphone dongles have fallen in price dramatically in the last few months. You can buy a NZ vodaphone dongle for $99 now, including a NZ SIM and $40 usage credit, so that seems to be the best way to go.

Hope this helps

willand tina_h Nov 16th 2009 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by NakiMan (Post 8102720)
In my experience, a UK bought dongle will not work in NZ unless you get it unlocked, as its locked to UK vodaphone. You will also need to buy a NZ vodaphone SIM to put in it. Total cost, about $60

NZ vodaphone dongles have fallen in price dramatically in the last few months. You can buy a NZ vodaphone dongle for $99 now, including a NZ SIM and $40 usage credit, so that seems to be the best way to go.

Hope this helps

thanks nakiman, you have helped us out great, we have been dwindling over do we buy one here or over in nz and now we know to wait till we get there. Ta Tina. x

bevissa65 Nov 17th 2009 5:22 am

Hi, we got a vodafone mobile dongle when we got here. It was $99 and cost $40 for half a gig. :thumbdown: That was used incredibly quickly, especially when you are looking for houses and cars etc. If you can, I would use interent cafe's and wait till you get a house for regular broadband! I think we spent $120 just on internet in about 2 weeks not including the bloody dongle!!! Bevissa xxxxx

Beetrooper Nov 17th 2009 10:22 am

Many thanks for all your replies - i forgot to mention that it was only for a three week reccie trip - however we are coming over for good in Jan/Feb 2011

I think that i will but a $99 dongle from Vodaphone as it seems the cheapest way.

Cheers

Niki