Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RE: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

RE: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

Old Feb 3rd 2016, 7:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

OH was offered a company car with his previous job but it would have come out of his salary to the tune of approximately $10k pa. The choice of cars he was offered weren't that flash, so he took the money instead.

I've yet to hear of anyone having a company car in NZ in the same way they do in the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at Auckland – Cost of living , trying to gauge salary I need to aim for

From what you've seen so far Andy, does a move still appeal ??

Have you looked at any specific areas / suburbs that seem to fit the bill of what you're after ??
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 10:40 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
OH was offered a company car with his previous job but it would have come out of his salary to the tune of approximately $10k pa. The choice of cars he was offered weren't that flash, so he took the money instead.

I've yet to hear of anyone having a company car in NZ in the same way they do in the UK.
Seems like Co car (in NZ) doesn’t exactly mean company car.

Thank you
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 10:41 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Justcol
From what you've seen so far Andy, does a move still appeal ??

Have you looked at any specific areas / suburbs that seem to fit the bill of what you're after ??
Maybe
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 11:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MegMac
Some of the others have already mentioned the cost of schools and children activities, but I'll give you a breakdown of how much those things are for my kids.We are in Auckland so the figures will be similar to what you have to pay.

Costs for 1 child:

School donation, decile 8 school $200 per year
Plus extra for stationary and class books $50 per year
Plus if you go to a BYOD school thats $200 per year

School Uniform, when we arrived my initial layout for the entire summer/winter uniform was $600. That gave us a school jumper, 3 polo shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, 3 long sleeve shirts, 2 pairs of school trousers, P.E. kit and school hat.

Swimming lessons are $11 per lesson
Dance lessons are $10 per lesson
Piano lessons are $30 per lesson
Art classes are £10 per lesson
Scouts are $5 per session
Football is £10 per session

School stationary and books for the beginning of the year cost me about $70 for each child.

My children are 10 and 7 so still in the growing like a weed stage, so they need new shoes and clothes fairly regularly. I buy trainers on sale at Rebel sports for about $100 a pair. You can get cheaper but I have a thing about my kids wearing decent shoes.

I don't buy them clothes here. I find the quality shocking and the variety boring so I still buy their clothes from Next, M&S and Boden.

Your grocery budget does look high, I don't even spend that for the 4 of us weekly but what you must remember is that variety is limited here. There might be staple items in your weekly shop that you just don't get here and you'll probably have to go to 3 or 4 different shops to do you weekly shop because even the supermarkets don't have everything you need.

Petrol use is subjective to where you live and how much time you will spend in traffic. You may only live 20 mins from work but if you're in Auckland prepare to spend hours in traffic. That's just what it's like here. My husband works 25mins form home but easily spends at least 3 or 4 days a week stuck in traffic for up to 2 hours. He spends $100 every 10 days or so on petrol.

You forgot to add water to your list. We pay about $80 per month.
Also some places have gas heating or wood burning stoves, you need to add that cost in.

I think that about covers it but if I think of anything more I'll post again.
Belated thanks. I need to chew over all the info on this thread as it would seem the online COL calculator was a tad conservative

I didn’t take schooling costs or extra activities into account as here I just have to consider his uniform and school trips otherwise it’s covered (including his social club).

Thank you for taking the time to input. I appreciate
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 11:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
We're two adults and we go mega minimal on the groceries, shopping at Pak n Save for the most part and rarely is it less than $140 and then usually some extras at fruit and veg shop, bread, milk and such like during the week. Cat food is another extra from vets.

$25 won't go far in the way of entertainment - a beer or glass of wine is $8 to $9, normal price for adult cinema ticket $18.50 ($13 Child), soft drink, tea or coffee at a cafe $4.50, eating out, parking, ice-cream etc. all adds up.

Our most recent electric bill was $136 - supposedly cheapest summer month / usually nobody home all day but would have been a bit extra over the Christmas holidays. The only way from there is is up and Winter can be anything upto and around $350pm

I know it depends a lot on what sort of a car you are insuring but mine is $49 a month (fully comprehensive on a small old nanna car).
Belated thanks. I need to chew over all the info on this thread as it would seem the online COL calculator was a tad conservative.

Also looking further into the Co Car scenario seems like I need to adjust my spreadsheet somewhat. That’s where these forums are excellent for getting info from the folk that are in the know.

What's a nana car

Thank you for taking the time to input. I appreciate
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

A lot of rural jobs have company 'cars' eg Wrightson, Farmlands. Niece works for Monsanto and has a company ute - unlimited milage/petrol and uses it for everything. Judging by the cars on the roads during the holidays (towing boats/holiday trailers) a lot of other firms do too - may not apply to JAFA's or similar :-)
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kotare
A lot of rural jobs have company 'cars' eg Wrightson, Farmlands. Niece works for Monsanto and has a company ute - unlimited milage/petrol and uses it for everything. Judging by the cars on the roads during the holidays (towing boats/holiday trailers) a lot of other firms do too - may not apply to JAFA's or similar :-)
Thanks for that. Interesting , is Monsanto quite big in NZ ? Is their food mostly GM also ?

What if a JAFA?

I know what a Jaffa cake is
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MegMac
You forgot to add water to your list. We pay about $80 per month.
Is that about the going rate for water in Auckland ?

Is there a waste / removal fee/s also ?

Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell
What if a JAFA?
Just another f'ing Aucklander
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:18 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

on the water charge, some area's pay per usage and some don't. If renting you would need to read the contract. If buying you would need to ask the Sales Person.
Rubbish collection can be by hired wheelie bin, companies charge different prices, or pre paid bags you get from the council or some supermarkets
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell
Thanks for that. Interesting , is Monsanto quite big in NZ ? Is their food mostly GM also ?

What if a JAFA?

I know what a Jaffa cake is
Monsanto and a few competitors are installed south of Auckland (Pukekohe), to my knowledge primarily seed treatment/supply. Don't think they do any direct GM work other than that but that is a wide topic.

JAFA is a perjorative term for Aucklanders :-)
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
on the water charge, some area's pay per usage and some don't. If renting you would need to read the contract. If buying you would need to ask the Sales Person.
Rubbish collection can be by hired wheelie bin, companies charge different prices, or pre paid bags you get from the council or some supermarkets
Thanks - any idea what the ave rates are on water / refuge ?

Many thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kotare
Monsanto and a few competitors are installed south of Auckland (Pukekohe), to my knowledge primarily seed treatment/supply. Don't think they do any direct GM work other than that but that is a wide topic.

JAFA is a perjorative term for Aucklanders :-)
Yes, I can imagine as NZ promotes itself as 100% pure

So if you stay in Auckland the other areas of NZ can be a bit hostile towards you ?

Thanks for the input
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:33 pm

just found this:

Cost of Living in Auckland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.