Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RE: Getting NZ Ready - recruitment process - Tips and guides

RE: Getting NZ Ready - recruitment process - Tips and guides

Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:31 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Getting NZ Ready - recruitment process - Tips and guides

The recruitment process in NZ is rather “different” and can be just as daunting if you are here in NZ or applying from offshore.

There is no-doubt that there is a skills shortage – see the article in the NZ Herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/46...ectid=10431103

My input would be that you have to be really determined not to be put off. Persistence is everything and if you get a Dear John from an agency it could be that the agency is not prepared to put in more effort considering off-shore applications.

There are some interesting comments placed on the site which you need to see as - planning is everything.

I think that the process should start with trying to evaluate your worth so that you don’t undersell or oversell yourself. This of course involves you getting a basic understanding of the players in that industry in the Kiwi market/s.

Try to communicate with someone in your industry or skill area that is currently employed in NZ. Don’t just take one opinion do a survey.

Kiwi companies are impressed if you contact them direct as it shows drive and saves agency costs.

If I was trying to secure a job in NZ from off-shore I would certainly utilize Skype as much as possible. It might be a bit strange being interviewed on a video conference call but it will give you a better indication of how to read the results of how it is going or went. Body language etc.

Get Kiwized. Get input as to the questions not to and to ask in terms of NZ employers. It can be a total no-no to discuss package here for example. I would even go as far as getting yourself familiar with talking to Kiwis as it can be a tricky one to actually get your ears around at first.

All these little things can add up to you being more NZ ready in terms of prospective employers. Don’t be put off by the can’t be dones just see it as it make just take more effort to convert it to an “I did it”.

So ultimately what I am saying is that there are distinct differences , get up-to-speed with them and tackle the objections. Do your homework.

I am positive that others here will add to this and maybe become a kind of check-list and tips and guides thread.

Good luck to you all and go for it

Last edited by Campbells; Mar 27th 2007 at 3:56 am. Reason: sp
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:49 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting NZ Ready - recruitment process - Tips and guides

Ensuring your CV is in a NZ friendly style goes along way here as well.

In the UK, generally CV's are presented with short summaries of work experience. Where as in NZ, with generally less applicants for a position, much more detail in your CV is preferred. Typically a side of A4 for each of your last two employers, after that you can ease off on the detail.

What employers like to see, is a job description, any achievements for the company i.e. projects, being the top salesman, technical courses, promotions etc
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:56 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting NZ Ready - recruitment process - Tips and guides

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Ensuring your CV is in a NZ friendly style goes along way here as well.

In the UK, generally CV's are presented with short summaries of work experience. Where as in NZ, with generally less applicants for a position, much more detail in your CV is preferred. Typically a side of A4 for each of your last two employers, after that you can ease off on the detail.

What employers like to see, is a job description, any achievements for the company i.e. projects, being the top salesman, technical courses, promotions etc
I have worked in recruitment in Auckland for a couple of different industries and my advice would be to keep your CV to two pages if you are able. Three at the most but no more than that if possible. Agencies will have a tendancy to not read past three. I know this to be true as unfortunately thats what the agencies I worked for did! Your best bet would be to start off with a profile which is a bit about yourself and where you can sell yourself. After that key skills which is where you would have stuff like, any achievements for the company, projects etc and then have your career highlights. Again, plenty of detail but not too lengthy if it can be helped. If you have been out of education for quite a few years and have nothing recent to add then put your education details along with your personal details at the bottom of the CV. If its more recent then it can go at the top. And make your interests as interesting as possible, in NZ jobs have been won and lost on stuff like that, believe it or not. Also bring certificates of any exams you might have taken if your able. Again believe it or not some people want to see certificates for an exam you might have done 30 years ago. Bloody daft if you ask me but it has happened.