Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RE: DEAL BREAKERS ?

RE: DEAL BREAKERS ?

Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:21 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DEAL BREAKERS ?

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I'll go for the more practical answer - good jobs and affordable housing.

When we left the UK 3 years ago a good job (which leads to being able to afford a decent property) was hard to come by unless we settled in a big city, which was not something we wanted. The job market for us in Christchurch was and still is excellent so we shall take advantage of it as long as we possibly can. All the rest - good climate, near the beach/mountains, lack of traffic, fewer people, fantastic scenery and activities etc etc are all just great added bonuses that I have become accustomed to now and probably wouldn't do well if I was without them!

A good job is a deal breaker. Without it we wouldn't be able to afford the lifestyle we want and, therefore, would be pointless moving here just to struggle financially living pay cheque to pay cheque. As the famous quote goes on here "scenery doesn't pay the bills" or words to that effect!
Totally – a good job is very important. I have started doing a COL and housing recce and must say that Auckland houses seem very expensive. I’m looking at Auckland as there seems to be more jobs going and I guess the business capital of NZ ? Of course it’s all relative, wages, house prices etc. It’s the same here in UK, if you look at London prices are sheer madness but the salaries are relative.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

That's the hassle with auckland, it has now overtaken London in the
most expensive places to live list, and there is no extra allowance paid on salaries.

Ive tried living in Aux and couldn't see the point of it.
I didnt move to nz to live in a place that was more expensive than the UK
Was worse for commuting than the UK, paid lower wages than the UK,
had higher priced and much lower quality housing than the uk.

Many convince themselves that they have to go to auckland,
but unless your job is exclusively only in auckland, I would look very
hard at other areas
Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:33 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Justcol
That's the hassle with auckland, it has now overtaken London in the
most expensive places to live list, and there is no extra allowance paid on salaries.

Ive tried living in Aux and couldn't see the point of it.
I didnt move to nz to live in a place that was more expensive than the UK
Was worse for commuting than the UK, paid lower wages than the UK,
had higher priced and much lower quality housing than the uk.

Many convince themselves that they have to go to auckland,
but unless your job is exclusively only in auckland, I would look very
hard at other areas
I would say that a ‘one-size-fits-all’ is not going to work in any situ.

For my requirements, as a solo parent I really don’t want to live out in the stix, I think that is more suited for couples.

On a side note – comparing London to Auckland would be setting oneself up for disappointment. Paying London prices doesn’t mean you are going to get London. For all it’s warts London has a world class public transport system and a vast amount of history and culture. It is hugely multi-cultural and in many cases, a hop & a skip you are over into Europe.

Playing London down to make Auckland more appealing would just make the same in reverse look negative. My outlook is live and let live and allow space for us all to different.

There are a lot of Kiwis that do their OE and head to London
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Your best bet is to look at your own possible Deal Breakers & let us know what that would be for you.

None of us have walked in your shoes so what would be a deal break for any of us , won't be applicable to you at all.

I'll give you my first guess at what would be a deal break for you - That your children did not settle well & easily.

I've been here 12 years now. My own deal break was breaking my Dad's heart completely and utterly and in so doing I broke my own. He's dead now, 7 years ago and I will have always lost those precious 5 years with him at the end of his life. Forever. For always. The move was not worth it for that loss. The thing is , that for all what is often slickly written about 'one can always leave', it really isn't that simple. Your own 'deal break' hits you in the face and you simply have to live with it. You cannot cut and run.

Have a good look around all of BE. Not just the NZ forum to read about the assorted impacts that emigrating has on people. Not just that but read about those that take the harder plunge to return to their home country after many years away.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell
I would say that a ‘one-size-fits-all’ is not going to work in any situ.

For my requirements, as a solo parent I really don’t want to live out in the stix, I think that is more suited for couples.

On a side note – comparing London to Auckland would be setting oneself up for disappointment. Paying London prices doesn’t mean you are going to get London. For all it’s warts London has a world class public transport system and a vast amount of history and culture. It is hugely multi-cultural and in many cases, a hop & a skip you are over into Europe.

Playing London down to make Auckland more appealing would just make the same in reverse look negative. My outlook is live and let live and allow space for us all to different.

There are a lot of Kiwis that do their OE and head to London
Have you been over for a proper reccie trip ?
I don't know what Auckland has to offer a single parent
but having lived there, I would hate to be stuck there as a singleton.
If you think not living in auckland equates to living in the stix, then go to auckland.
I don't think anyone had played London down, its a fabulous place.
Unfortunately if I had to compare Auckland to a UK city, I'd be
struggling to place much higher than Doncaster
If you ignore the beaches it really has very little to offer.
Of course kiwis flock to London, for a brief period they want to experience
life in real city, where there are things to do and places to go

Wherever you end up, best of luck.
The world would be a dull place if all liked the same things

Last edited by Justcol; Jan 27th 2016 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS
Your best bet is to look at your own possible Deal Breakers & let us know what that would be for you.

None of us have walked in your shoes so what would be a deal break for any of us , won't be applicable to you at all..
Thanks, I chose to ask that question in that format for my reason to learn further about NZ.

Also, reading other areas of a forum I would be more a spectator, I prefer to interact, it also gives one a good feel of the communication flow and interacting with folk that have ‘been there, done that’.

If there is some trigger in this thread to alert a moderator to advise me on the questions I ask please inform me. I don’t want to upset the apple cart .

Cheers
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just my opinion
Asking for deal breakers is far to broad a question
In all honesty, I probably don't have one.
I arrived in nz as part of a family of 4, now I am the only one left here.
My kids grew up and returned to blighty for Uni
My wife, for reasons known only to her, also returned, and yet I chose to stay.
Why, because my kids had reached an age where they would
have been leaving home anyway, it was their time. yes I miss
them, and I wasnt prepared to return to blighty as I remembered
the reasons I left in the 1st place.
So what's my deal breaker, I guess I don't know.

You are asking people to think about their absolute worst case scenario
Its not that simple and you simply dont know what it will be

Try thinking of some questions around issues that concern you
or processes that you need a greater understanding of
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:48 pm
Banned

Just my opinion
Asking for deal breakers is far to broad a question
In all honesty, I probably don't have one.
I arrived in nz as part of a family of 4, now I am the only one left here.
My kids grew up and returned to blighty for Uni
My wife, for reasons known only to her, also returned, and yet I chose to stay.
Why, because my kids had reached an age where they would
have been leaving home anyway, it was their time. yes I miss
them, and I wasnt prepared to return to blighty as I remembered
the reasons I left in the 1st place.

You are asking people to think about their absolute worst case scenario
Its not that simple and you simply dont know what it will be

Try thinking of some questions around issues that concern you
or processes that you need a greater understanding of
I am sorry to hear of your rough time .

Maybe my question is too broad for some but really I asked the question as something that would potentially concern me.

I think that is how people build pictures - asking questions and doing the research albeit that some questions are not for some. Just as the stix suits you but would not me.

I appreciate your input and sounds like you are at peace with your lot. That is a good place (not geography) to be.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:54 pm
`

Thanks, I chose to ask that question in that format for my reason to learn further about NZ.

Also, reading other areas of a forum I would be more a spectator, I prefer to interact, it also gives one a good feel of the communication flow and interacting with folk that have ‘been there, done that’.

If there is some trigger in this thread to alert a moderator to advise me on the questions I ask please inform me. I don’t want to upset the apple cart .

Cheers
I don't actually understand your response .
Are you writing that because of my admin badge? I was responding as someone 12 years in New Zealand.

TBH and IMVHO you won't learn anything about NZ or about those of us that have emigrated to NZ from assorted parts of the UK by asking us what the crack point has been , is currently , will be or could be.

If you look, very few people have tried to give you some sort of answer. Likely because there is no answer as such. I have freely & openly shared one aspect with you. That is all.

Perhaps the deal breaker thing happens before emigration. The sort of stuff one sees on Wanted Down Under and the like. Where prospective migrants weigh up their own pros and cons and decide whether to take that leap of faith or simply discover that the grass is not greener elsewhere, simply different.

Who knows . Each and everyone one of us and are circumstances are so very very different.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:58 pm
`

Y
You've done sterling with your life though Col.
I've read you go from being the family man just emigrated. Go through the grim mire and back again & come out another side .
They'll still be the tough days and the ups and downs as we both know. The trick is in finding that bit of balance and acceptance for that which we cannot change & taking heart from that which is good in our lives eh?
Applies for anywhere in the world of course but we both know what I mean.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
but we both know what I mean.
Sure do xx
Old Jan 29th 2016, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you although my outlook is that I have far greater options than just the UK to consider. Holding an EU passport gives access to a huge amount of options albeit that there is a limited amount that drive on the LHS and the main language is English. Cheers
Not sure if you hold a UK passport or a mainland EU one, but how long do you give Schengen, EU, UK membership etc and would you gamble job/residency on it? NZ residency opens up the delights of Oz to you as well, how could you resist :-)
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

As UK citizens, we all had / have the option of mainland Europe

I'm really not seeing where this thread is going or what possible
use it has been to the OP
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

My deal breakers for moving 2yrs ago (still in UK) were lack of work for me and housing costs in NZ. Working on the former while watching the latter with trepidation.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kotare
Not sure if you hold a UK passport or a mainland EU one, but how long do you give Schengen, EU, UK membership etc and would you gamble job/residency on it? NZ residency opens up the delights of Oz to you as well, how could you resist :-)
Yes, that is a very good point. What is the time-frame to get NZ citizenship – is it five years ? Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.