Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RE: DEAL BREAKERS ?

RE: DEAL BREAKERS ?

Old Jan 24th 2016, 10:28 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: DEAL BREAKERS ?

What are the deal breakers (if you prefer NZ or UK etc) for you ?
Old Jan 24th 2016, 10:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DEAL BREAKERS ?

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell
Every one is likely to have a different one, what's bad for one can be good for others.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 11:17 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Every one is likely to have a different one, what's bad for one can be good for others.
Yes that is so but nonetheless such information does form a picture for folk considering moving their whole life to another country . There is a lot to consider, especially when there are children involved.

By the same token, individuals have different ways of asking questions.

My understanding is that it is better to research (and knowledge is gained by asking questions) than to jump in and regret it later.

Cheers
Old Jan 24th 2016, 11:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is so but nonetheless such information does form a picture for folk considering moving their whole life to another country . There is a lot to consider, especially when there are children involved.

By the same token, individuals have different ways of asking questions.

My understanding is that it is better to research (and knowledge is gained by asking questions) than to jump in and regret it later.

Cheers
Indeed - knowing some of the range of things that can go wrong, or affect people's migration plans, can help you to think things through yourself. Being prepared for the fact that homesickness may not hit you for several months for instance - many people are surprised when they thinki they've settled, and then wham....something reminds them of home and totally unsettles them.

Have a read of threads on here - that should give you a flavour of what people on here experience day-to-day
Old Jan 24th 2016, 6:11 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I could probably live in most places with a reasonable climate. For me it's where my best family connections are, which happens to be NZ. If they were in the UK, I would be living there. The differences between the two places are not that great in the big scheme of things.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 8:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jmh
To be honest, I could probably live in most places with a reasonable climate. For me it's where my best family connections are, which happens to be NZ. If they were in the UK, I would be living there. The differences between the two places are not that great in the big scheme of things.
Yes having a support structure is a great asset. One of my other main considerations is the situation of the move for my son whom is nearing his teens. For me personally there is a lot to consider. Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

During my last visit to the UK a year ago, I was walking down market street,
Manchester's main shopping street. I physically stopped and just stood looking at
all I could see and I instantly felt like I didn't belong there anymore. The people are
rude, no one talks to each other, everyone is busy being busy, and being somewhere
else seemed to be far more important than being where they are.
It was crowded, dirty and there was too much traffic. Drivers were shouting and
arguing with each other through open windows, the place had just wound itself
up like a coiled up spring trying to burst out in every direction.
That's one reason why I'm still in nz, my family are in the uk and like everyone, I occasionally
get the odd pangs of home sickness but I whinge and moan a bit for a few days and it usually passes.

People come to nz and once the homesickness kicks in they start slagging the place off.
The chips aren't the same, you can't get proper tea, they dont do this, look at how they do that
I've been here 6 weeks and haven't made many friends, there's no choice in the shops.
Its always the same things and your misery becomes New Zealands fault, if you can't look
beyond the small stuff and remember why you left the UK in the first place then your days here are numbered.

We share a language and drive on the same side of the road, that's where the similarities end
Old Jan 24th 2016, 9:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Justcol
We share a language and drive on the same side of the road, that's where the similarities end
Really ? Wow – that’s scary !
Old Jan 24th 2016, 10:00 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Justcol's post summed up my feelings. I returned to the Midlands UK 6 months ago for a family visit, been here nearly 4 years now, due for an update as well as being tax liable soon. Stopped off in Berlin, Budapest, Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur on the return journey and strangely the nearer I got to NZ the less the people had but the friendlier they were but then again that might have just been me eager to get HOME....
Old Jan 24th 2016, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Really ? Wow – that’s scary !
Its not scary if you embrace the difference. if you can't or won't then your better off considering a move to another area of the UK
Old Jan 24th 2016, 11:38 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go for the more practical answer - good jobs and affordable housing.

When we left the UK 3 years ago a good job (which leads to being able to afford a decent property) was hard to come by unless we settled in a big city, which was not something we wanted. The job market for us in Christchurch was and still is excellent so we shall take advantage of it as long as we possibly can. All the rest - good climate, near the beach/mountains, lack of traffic, fewer people, fantastic scenery and activities etc etc are all just great added bonuses that I have become accustomed to now and probably wouldn't do well if I was without them!

A good job is a deal breaker. Without it we wouldn't be able to afford the lifestyle we want and, therefore, would be pointless moving here just to struggle financially living pay cheque to pay cheque. As the famous quote goes on here "scenery doesn't pay the bills" or words to that effect!
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:55 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Indeed - knowing some of the range of things that can go wrong, or affect people's migration plans, can help you to think things through yourself. Being prepared for the fact that homesickness may not hit you for several months for instance - many people are surprised when they thinki they've settled, and then wham....something reminds them of home and totally unsettles them.

Have a read of threads on here - that should give you a flavour of what people on here experience day-to-day
Yep, homesickness didnt hit me until after 5 years here. Was doing great, really enjoying everything, but i havent been able to resolve it at all and we are heading home this year. I have given it 3 years to settle but it just hasnt. Its babout that sense of belonging for me and i just dont belong here. May be this is now age related post 50...
Old Jan 25th 2016, 6:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Yep, homesickness didnt hit me until after 5 years here. Was doing great, really enjoying everything, but i havent been able to resolve it at all and we are heading home this year. I have given it 3 years to settle but it just hasnt. Its babout that sense of belonging for me and i just dont belong here. May be this is now age related post 50...
I often wonder if its an age related thing. I was 40 when I emigrated, expecting to love it in Aus, but after 3 momths I knew it was wrong. And its not so easy to go back once you hit 50, with no finances, no house to sell, looking for a job .....

I know its an individual thing but I reckon it is easy for younger people to settle. They have less of a tie to their home country having not lived there as long, and most youngsters are more adaptable, plus they can build a career from day one and not spend time struggling to get back to where they were before they migrated.
Good luck back home
Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Justcol's post summed up my feelings. I returned to the Midlands UK 6 months ago for a family visit, been here nearly 4 years now, due for an update as well as being tax liable soon. Stopped off in Berlin, Budapest, Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur on the return journey and strangely the nearer I got to NZ the less the people had but the friendlier they were but then again that might have just been me eager to get HOME....
I can relate. There is so much to consider and also the fact of what is being compared for the individual involved.

In my case we live in a wee (rural) village in Scotland and traffic here is when there are a few sheep blocking the road. If I drive down to south of England, as I near the Midlands the motorway is four lanes of trucks due to the distribution industry in the region.

I would imagine someone living in Hamilton having the same experience in peak traffic Auckland?

It is good that you feel settled in NZ. Where about are you based in NZ ?

Cheers
Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Justcol
Its not scary if you embrace the difference. if you can't or won't then your better off considering a move to another area of the UK
I hear you although my outlook is that I have far greater options than just the UK to consider. Holding an EU passport gives access to a huge amount of options albeit that there is a limited amount that drive on the LHS and the main language is English. Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.