Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rangiora and kaiapoi......any advice?

Rangiora and kaiapoi......any advice?

Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:05 am
Just Joined

TheFiveOfUs is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rangiora and kaiapoi......any advice?

Hi,

We are hoping to move to ChCh before Christmas and we're looking at the local areas. We are happy to live outside of ChCh and are looking at maybe Rangiora or Kaiapoi. Anyone know much about these areas? Shopping, schools etc. We have 3boys (15, 12, 7) so any info on things to do would be great also.

Of course all this depends on the job offer but the hubby doesn't mind commuting (sometimes travels up to 2hrs over here) so we are looking at all options

Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rangiora and kaiapoi......any advice?

Loads of developments round the area.

Check out Silverstream, Kippenberger, Pegasus, Amberley, Oxford etc. Beach something as well. There is also the Selwyn district which has Rolleston, fabulous area.

Hopefully since you'll be arriving after the Winter, the M25 traffic jams will have stopped. It'll be quicker to walk to Chch at the moment.

There's probably a bit more to do in Rangiora than Kaiapoi but both towns are nice. I can't say a bad word about either

Just make sure you go to the Indian restaurant in Rangiora opposite the Subway. Oh the Chicken Jalfrezis are cooked to perfection.

I suppose in the end it depends where you are located. If his job is going to be round Woolston, Lyttleton etc then yu don't want to live in either. Make sure you know where the job is first before deciding where to move. You don't want to have a long commute, especially for the next 4/5 years.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:43 am
Just Joined

That's great thanks!

Always up for an Indian recommendation too

Didn't think about Selwyn so will check that out too, cheers.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I had a chicken Jafrezi from there last night

Traffic is real bad on this side of town at the mo and will be for the foreseable as suggested have a look at Selwyn side, Wheres the job at ?

Neil
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Hopefully Christchurch I'm a Construction foreman on the railway. Just waiting for the house to sell.

What's with traffic from that area then?

Mick (the hubby)
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

All the traffic comming into CHC from the north has to cross the Waimak on the SH1. The only alternative is via the SH72 & 73 but it's a big diversion!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
I suppose in the end it depends where you are located. If his job is going to be round Woolston, Lyttleton etc then yu don't want to live in either. Make sure you know where the job is first before deciding where to move. You don't want to have a long commute, especially for the next 4/5 years.
I commute to Woolston every day from Rangoon and it is pretty dire these days, it took 50 minutes this morning. However that is mainly caused by the Prestons/Marshlands work which will be over soon (less than a month) and then it'll be back to 45 mins. It was about 35 mins before the quakes so the extra 10 mins is not a great hardship.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matelot
All the traffic comming into CHC from the north has to cross the Waimak on the SH1.
Or the Old Waimak Bridge on Main North Rd which is a good alternative coming from Kaiapoi heading to Marshlands.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheFiveOfUs
Hopefully Christchurch I'm a Construction foreman on the railway. Just waiting for the house to sell.

What's with traffic from that area then?

Mick (the hubby)

I was on the road railers for years in the UK Hydrex, Norex,BCL, Quattro there isn,t a lot of rail here who are you working for ?

Neil
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future

Hi. My husband has gone ahead of us (he has been there 4 weeks now) and we will be joining him in about 4 weeks, daughter 10 and son 13. Originally we were set on Rangiora. Husband works central Chch. Since he has been there he has done trial journeys to work and on this basis and the views of almost all his colleagues we have changed our search area to Lincoln area. He too was used to M25 but found the idea of a 25 min journey in Lincoln preferable to a 45/55 min one in Rangiora, as one of the reasons we are moving to NZ was to free up more family time. He also commented that he thought Rolleston/ Lincoln had more children around out playing and a generally younger feel.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I was on the road railers for years in the UK Hydrex, Norex,BCL, Quattro there isn,t a lot of rail here who are you working for ?

Neil
Alright Neil,

I work for Volkerfitzpatrick as a Foreman doing Platform extensions, Depots, Demo/New bridges and civils/construction.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kentishgirl
Hi. My husband has gone ahead of us (he has been there 4 weeks now) and we will be joining him in about 4 weeks, daughter 10 and son 13. Originally we were set on Rangiora. Husband works central Chch. Since he has been there he has done trial journeys to work and on this basis and the views of almost all his colleagues we have changed our search area to Lincoln area. He too was used to M25 but found the idea of a 25 min journey in Lincoln preferable to a 45/55 min one in Rangiora, as one of the reasons we are moving to NZ was to free up more family time. He also commented that he thought Rolleston/ Lincoln had more children around out playing and a generally younger feel.
Hi kentishgirl!

Thanks for that info, we have had a quick look at Rolleston but not Lincoln so will check that out...we have been advised that Mike should go out before us and we weren't keen...how has it been for you?

Both Mike and I are using the same login and replying to different post...sorry if there is any confusion
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future

Hi, in a way I think it has been easier because my husband has found accommodation and by the time we get there our furniture will have arrived and some of it will be unpacked (hopefully most of it) and sorted out broadband so the xbox can be plugged straight in! He has had time to settle into work and has had plenty of stuff to keep him busy. We Skype everyday, we have found that if I Skype him in the morning here, he is in his evening and we talk about the same day. Otherwise we are on different 'days' and kept confusing our today's and yesterday's. Also, although the children will be sad to leave their friends they will be looking forward to seeing their dad again which I will hope will make the goodbyes easier. Happy to share our experiences with you.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Just one other thought about high schools, we weren't blown away by Rangiora but were impressed with the last set of results from Lincoln High. Where are you in the uk (obviously we are in Kent!)
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:45 am
Just Joined

We are in Nottingham, we are just selling the house and then we are starting the process....we tried about 5 years ago but it took ages to sell our house and then the recession hit and we ended up abandoning the whole thing. Didn't think we would try again but just couldn't live with what ifs!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.