Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rangiora or Kaiapoi?

Rangiora or Kaiapoi?

Old Jul 24th 2005, 3:15 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Rangiora or Kaiapoi?

We're looking at where to settle, we think we would rather be in small town outside the city and commute in than be in a city suburb. Hubby is used to doing a daily 3 hour round trip at the moment in the UK so isn't concerned about commuting in NZ traffic if the right job comes along. We've therefore been looking at Rangiora or Kaiapoi. Does anyone have experience of living in either town, or know anyone who does?

We've been told Rangiora is really slow and a farming community that has nothing for teenagers. Does anyone here think otherwise?

We want to either start looking for rental possibilities in either town now, or cross them off our list and start looking at CHC suburbs, given that we've probably got 10 weeks if everything goes to plan.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 3:17 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all
Default Re: Rangiora or Kaiapoi?

Originally Posted by bookemjano
We're looking at where to settle, we think we would rather be in small town outside the city and commute in than be in a city suburb. Hubby is used to doing a daily 3 hour round trip at the moment in the UK so isn't concerned about commuting in NZ traffic if the right job comes along. We've therefore been looking at Rangiora or Kaiapoi. Does anyone have experience of living in either town, or know anyone who does?

We've been told Rangiora is really slow and a farming community that has nothing for teenagers. Does anyone here think otherwise?

We want to either start looking for rental possibilities in either town now, or cross them off our list and start looking at CHC suburbs, given that we've probably got 10 weeks if everything goes to plan.
Sky has lived in both areas.. she'll be your best bet. The commute from both areas would be far, far less than 1.5hours each way that's for sure.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:00 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Rangiora wins hands down for me, I have lived in both places and Rangiora has the best townstreet and feel. Personal choice though, you may like Kaiapoi when you get here but I didn't like the town street as much. There are lots of restaurants and pubs in Rangiora and the rates are cheaper $1200 as apposed to $1600 that we were paying in Kaiapoi!
I can nip into real state agents for you and see if they have any rental lists if you like, just let me know

Liz
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:01 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Rangiora wins hands down for me, I have lived in both places and Rangiora has the best townstreet and feel. Personal choice though, you may like Kaiapoi when you get here but I didn't like the town street as much. There are lots of restaurants and pubs in Rangiora and the rates are cheaper $1200 as apposed to $1600 that we were paying in Kaiapoi!
I can nip into real state agents for you and see if they have any rental lists if you like, just let me know

Liz
Could take from 35 to 45 mins to get to Ch.ch depending on the traffic and road conditions
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:44 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky

Liz
Liz - from day one of making the decision Rangiora has spoken to us, I can't explain it, it just has. Then I got a book from eBay on Rangiora's beginnings, loads of old photos in it and I just fell in love. Your comments have definitely made up our minds.

Rental lists would be brilliant but I'd hate to waste your time as we can't give dates - we're selling the house, but I daren't assume yet that everything is going to run smoothly. Buyer is extremely keen, but aren't they always! We're aiming to be there mid October, and are looking for an unfurnished 3 bed that will allow us to take our dog. No idea of rent, up to $350 we think, but until we get there we don't know what that gets us. Do you think we're aiming too low? Always look ok in the pictures, but you never know if cheaper properties are that price because they're next to an abbatoir or something until you see them.

We're going to take the first two weeks in a bach near the coast to make sure the rental we get is in the right place, and for the right school, and to give us chance to recharge our batteries and go furniture shopping, so, if all goes to plan, we think we're looking for a place 1 November onwards.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:26 am
sky
Banned

$350 is more than enough, my friend rents a three bed at the moment for $250 a wk ... it's a town house which means it's still detached with a double garage but it only has a little garden and usually shares a drive. Her's is brand new! I will look for rental lists for you if there are any available to give you some examples. All the real estates have some rental properties on their books, Harcourts, L.J.Hooker, Raywhites etc but there are lots of private ones in the papers too.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:31 am
sky
Banned

Where's my avatar gone
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:09 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Where's my avatar gone
Oooh, spooky...did you not remove it yourself Sky???

I wondered where it had gone but thought you'd maybe taken it off for some reason...bring Tink back!!!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:36 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Oooh, spooky...did you not remove it yourself Sky???

I wondered where it had gone but thought you'd maybe taken it off for some reason...bring Tink back!!!

Nope it did it itself and when I went to put it back on it said it didn't recognise the Url and then told me it was too big an avatar