Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RAF engineer moving to NZ & ?join RNZAF.........any others here?

RAF engineer moving to NZ & ?join RNZAF.........any others here?

Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Ceh29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RAF move to RNZAF.........any others here?

Hi All,

New to online forums in general so be gentle!

Having done my 22 years and due to leave in the middle of next year I'd love to start a new life with my family in NZ and am wondering if there's anybody in the same place as me, or perhaps who's already done the move?

I'm an avionics engineer, which I know is a trade the RNZAF is always looking for, and would love to hear your thoughts. We've done lots of research into the country, cost of moving and living out there, but some first hand knowledge would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ceh29; Sep 29th 2018 at 12:58 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RAF engineer moving to NZ & ?join RNZAF.........any others here?

Hey,
Ironically I'm here at work with 2 x ex RNZAF engineers
They've advised the following :-
In the first instance have a look at NZ Defence Careers recruitment website here - https://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/home/how-to-join/ and more specifically for you, here - https://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/re...as-applicants/
This is all subject to your skills and experience - i.e. what you have been working on over those 22 years - jets, helicopters etc. Have you got navigation and/or radio/comms experience etc. This will all determine where you can go in the defence forces here.
Location wise for RNZAF there are only 3 options - Auckland, Ohakea (just South of Bulls) or Blenheim although Blenheim is mainly a training base so unless you want to get in to avionics engineer training that location is unlikely to be an option.
Another unlikely option is Defence House in Wellington but this is for office based staff so may not be your thing.
If you do come the transfer route from the RAF to RNZAF or another of NZ's defence forces the visa process should be pretty easy going as they are all accredited employers already approved by Immigration to offer skilled jobs to people from overseas and they'll have a good grip on the type of visas you will apply for etc. The downside is you will have to spend a minimum period of time in their employment - minimum 2 years most likely before you can go elsewhere if you so wish.

Other options are down civi street. Have a look at Air New Zealand which is our National and International airline, Airwork Holdings Ltd, South Pacific Avionics and last but not least Airbus New Zealand. Should be lots of demand for avionics engineers through all of these avenues.

Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks escapedtonz, the return of service is fine, expecting that.

Chances are it'd be Auckland - I'm currently Airbus A400M, previously Hercs, Harrier and Pumas (although less experience on the latter).

I'm going to submit my initial application now. I know they don't have my rank (Chief Tech) so that'll be one query but will see what they say.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

And of course being RAF you will want to know the state of the local hotels
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:01 am
Just Joined

That's right, I don't dig in, I check in
Old Oct 1st 2018, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of previous experience you’d likely be based at Auckland or Ohakea for avionics, Blenheim is an option but more likely as an instructor. We did the same move and partner had 10 years squadron fast jet experience and they recruited him for that but placed him in the avionics factory at Ohakea.

For us the move was very worth it, long process to get here but we wouldn’t change anything!
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Default Aerospace Engineer- finding work in NZ from UK???

Thanks nikkijane88, unfortunately it's a no to me, not recruiting at my rank, but told to check back in six months or so.......I had been advised that this could be an issue.
So now am stuck. I'm not sure how to approach the civvy industry without actually being out in NZ.....
This is a move we're determined to make so am prepared to put in as much effort as it takes but it seems, not being licensed, I'm going to have issues ☹

Last edited by Ceh29; Oct 2nd 2018 at 7:00 am. Reason: Change in question
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe try some emmigration expo in your area they are normally jam packed with recruiters from different fields.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aerospace Engineer- finding work in NZ from UK???

Originally Posted by Ceh29
Thanks nikkijane88, unfortunately it's a no to me, not recruiting at my rank, but told to check back in six months or so.......I had been advised that this could be an issue.
So now am stuck. I'm not sure how to approach the civvy industry without actually being out in NZ.....
This is a move we're determined to make so am prepared to put in as much effort as it takes but it seems, not being licensed, I'm going to have issues ☹
Do you have any other qualifications? Or do you want to stay in the aircraft world?

I was a Sootie before I commissioned (don't hate me), but before I joined the RAF I was a Car Mechanic. It is this qualification that is getting me across to NZ.

Have a look on sites such as TradeMe and Seek NZ to see what is out there.

There is an Engine build and repair center at Christchurch Airport, I know it's not your core trade but I would have thought they would need AV/Leckies for some testing, worth a look maybe.

Then there are the airports and airliners, don't know for sure but I would imagine the setup will be the same as the UK, unlicensed people doing he work that gets signed of by the licensed engineer.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bobogib will check them out. Fingers crossed!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:22 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Ohakea and you'll walk right in. RNZAF love pomy's. Apply and come and enjoy the life
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Hi cym, tried but failed sadly - not wanting my rank at the moment. I'll see if anything changes over the next few months though. We'll be getting to NZ one way or another!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceh29
Hi cym, tried but failed sadly - not wanting my rank at the moment. I'll see if anything changes over the next few months though. We'll be getting to NZ one way or another!
​​​​​​​Did you get anywhere with the airlines/airports?
Old Nov 6th 2018, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Bobogib - tried the engine centre and had Skype interview.......now waiting. Very laid back approach to it all over there! Thank you for the tip, much appreciated!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 4:21 pm
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

Ceh
that's really sad to read. I know we have a 'No new civilians' recruitment policy at the moment, but there are two intakes next year.....not the normal three.
We're about to go through the painful DARS process so if you already have that then you'd be gold!
Keep plugging at them. I didn't work for the RAF back in the UK, but my brother did, and there's a world of difference between our (NZ) and the UK's defence forces....but that's not to say working here isn't fun. I think it is.
There's a lot of pome's here from all the arms of the defence force back home and they all seem to enjoy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.