Racist crime

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all
Default Re: Racist crime

There are very few, if any, full maori left. They have been in mixed relationships with settlers from day one and this has led to the 'watering down' of the maori race. You only have to look at the majority of their surnames/ family names. Most don't even speak the Maori language any more. (Although they can pronounce the place names which is more than me)

I know of one family whose daughter is 1/8 maori due to her mother's side and she looks 100% white and her father is British. Due to this small %age of Maori heritage they have managed to get her into the school of their choice. Right or wrong? You decide.

Is she entitled to this privilaged treatment or are her parents simply manipulating a system created by a nation that is racked with guilt and trying to correct past misdemeanours?

I'm not sure what the answer is but why don't we all let sleeping dogs lie and forget about the past now and get with each other for God's sake. After all, it's not even our country, so who are we to speak out about what is right and wrong.

Mine's a pint!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

jd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks
There are very few, if any, full maori left. They have been in mixed relationships with settlers from day one and this has led to the 'watering down' of the maori race. You only have to look at the majority of their surnames/ family names. Most don't even speak the Maori language any more. (Although they can pronounce the place names which is more than me)

I know of one family whose daughter is 1/8 maori due to her mother's side and she looks 100% white and her father is British. Due to this small %age of Maori heritage they have managed to get her into the school of their choice. Right or wrong? You decide.

Is she entitled to this privilaged treatment or are her parents simply manipulating a system created by a nation that is racked with guilt and trying to correct past misdemeanours?

I'm not sure what the answer is but why don't we all let sleeping dogs lie and forget about the past now and get with each other for God's sake. After all, it's not even our country, so who are we to speak out about what is right and wrong.

Mine's a pint!
You are so very right in a lot of what you say, however, the Moriori's were the first recorded inhabitants of this so called "Godzone" and the maoris had them round for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Isn't that right Leigh!!!

But your right, we should be getting on with it together, with no axes left to grind...

Mine's a pint as well, but you won't be getting that here, yup, its less...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jd426
You are so very right in a lot of what you say, however, the Moriori's were the first recorded inhabitants of this so called "Godzone" and the maoris had them round for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The Morioris were Maori, that's been pretty comprehensively proven.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jd426
Unfortunately for all of us, I believe that is the case.

I am glad you said you "believe" that is the case because it's a very sweeping statement you make.

Research actually shows that Maori and PI's are more likely to plead guilty to charges than pakeha regardless of what their cupability for the crime actually is or is not.

That may well effect sentence outcomes to a minor degree as legislation requires.

But to suggest that Judges sentence by race
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks

Mine's a pint!
I don't know how long you have been in NZ Jason but may I suggest now would be a great time to broaden you knowledge on NZ and it's history.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

Thank you for your concern, Bellasmum.

I will bare it in mind.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:14 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leigh of the Valley
(sigh) Perhaps you need to understand the history first
The thing about understanding the history. Yes, agreed. But...why is it forced down our necks? READ THE TREATY! :curse:
I mean, one of my bug-bears with NZ is that the treaty is taught on university courses where it really isn't relevant to the content. (Well, I don't think it is). And, not only that but you have to pass treaty of waitangi units in order to pass your course. You could be a whizz on anatomy and physiology, for example, but fail the course because you have no interest in the treaty. For me the treaty is a history course. So, why is it included on courses in Medicine, for example? Not relevant at all. The fact is, there are now more Asians in NZ than Maori. What about their history....Yes, Maori suffer from poorer health than pakeha, but that is a sociological issue, not a medical one, in order to treat them you don't need to understand their race - but you do need to understand their pathology...And for the record I enjoy reading about the history of the treaty - but there is a time and a place.

Last edited by Coda; Mar 13th 2009 at 10:35 am.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

jd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Coda
The thing about understanding the history. Yes, agreed. But...why is it forced down our necks? READ THE TREATY! :curse:
I mean, one of my bug-bears with NZ is that the treaty is taught on university courses where it really isn't relevant to the content. (Well, I don't think it is). And, not only that but you have to pass treaty of waitangi units in order to pass your course. You could be a whizz on anatomy and physiology, for example, but fail the course because you have no interest in the treaty. For me the treaty is a history course. So, why is it included on courses in Medicine, for example? Not relevant at all. The fact is, there are now more Asians in NZ than Maori. What about their history....Yes, Maori suffer from poorer health than pakeha, but that is a sociological issue, not a medical one, in order to treat them you don't need to understand their race - but you do need to understand their pathology...And for the record I enjoy reading about the history of the treaty - but there is a time and a place.
I agree completely. It's total madness to ram it (the teaty...) down people's throats in the manner you describe.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

The difference is this is NZ not China.

And what's more I dread the thought of any medic coming out of University with the view that sociological issues are NOT part of ones health well being, or that cultures are as black and white as the "race label" bandied about.

They are just some of the reasons that Kiwi's of Maori heritage get what you call preferential treatment.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:43 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard medicine was as much about prevention as treatment. Has it changed?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:52 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

And the latest census had asian population well below Maori population, although now ahead of PI.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

OH attended a compulsory Treaty course through his workplace. Initially he was really peeved off that he was being made to go ," What a waste of my time ", however he came home raving about how much he had enjoyed the day , how he " hadn't realised this or that had occurred, did I know blah, blah had happened at blah, blah ? " etc. He found it very worthwhile and now reckons everyone should , if they have the opportunity, attend a Treaty course. ( from a bloke whose family were early settlers too ). My point is, if the course hadn't been compulsory he would never have gone along and learnt as much as he did.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Mar 14th 2009 at 2:57 am. Reason: spelling & spelling
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

For me the treaty is a history course. So, why is it included on courses in Medicine, for example? Not relevant at all.
Indeed the Treaty is probably of more interest to those reading Law. It is certainly historical but the stark reality is, ( like it or loathe it ) , The Treaty remains an active legally binding contract . Some might argue - it could be considered unlawful NOT to apply the Treaty to every aspect of NZ life - med lectures included. Thats lawyers for you

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Mar 14th 2009 at 4:09 am. Reason: gram
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sr71
The Morioris were Maori, that's been pretty comprehensively proven.
Yes, well proven.
It is disappointing the amount of immigrants to my country who do not seem to have the ability to learn any NZ history.

As for dropping the treaty that would be an interesting exercise seeing how many other laws are tied up in it.
Would people be that keen to see it dropped if the land that their house was on reverted to the law and land grants as they stood in 1840 ?

I was going to post in Reo (Maori) but that would be unfair on those who do not have the ability to learn one of NZ's official languages.

Oh, the treaty and medical studies, why the complaint, I take it you knew the treaty would be a required subject, so why complain now instead of arranging medical studies out of NZ ?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

It is disappointing the amount of immigrants to my country who do not seem to have the ability to learn any NZ history.

I am sure they have the ability, in fact many have done it. What I find disappointing is that SOME show a real lack of interest in the history of the country they live in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.