Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Racism toward Poms

Racism toward Poms

Old Dec 25th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism toward Poms

I know a kiwi guy here in cambridge (nz) who's nickname is "kiwi"
It was given to him when he was living in the uk for about 20 years
and its stuck
Old Dec 25th 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

I am a Kiwi through and through and have lived in the UK for over 5 years, almost long enough to apply for a British passport. Sometimes even my Dad starts jokingly referring to me as a Pom when I speak to him. I don't think it's normally meant to cause offense unless there is some other offense attached to it.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AH30
I am a Kiwi through and through and have lived in the UK for over 5 years, almost long enough to apply for a British passport. Sometimes even my Dad starts jokingly referring to me as a Pom when I speak to him. I don't think it's normally meant to cause offense unless there is some other offense attached to it.
All this racism stuff is crap. You cannot be racist towards someone who is from your own ethnicity. I accept a Moari could be racist towards a white brit however. We are all pretty much white Euros (except if you happen to be a Brit of a different hew from white).

What is true that some kiwis don't like Brits. Some are jealous as they think we come to NZ with more money than sense (waaay more) and some don't like Brits because of the Brit's attitude. As for 'Pom'? Offensive? You have to be REALLY precious IMO to be hurt by that 'jibe'. Personally I have never had one iota of unplesantness towards me from a Kiwi because I am a Brit. Maybe its true that you reap what you sow? I always try to be 100% positive about my new life in NZ when talking about it in general conversation. I never run the place down but am open and honest about its true problems. Which are manifold.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 9:43 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
All this racism stuff is crap. You cannot be racist towards someone who is from your own ethnicity. I accept a Moari could be racist towards a white brit however. We are all pretty much white Euros (except if you happen to be a Brit of a different hew from white).

What is true that some kiwis don't like Brits. Some are jealous as they think we come to NZ with more money than sense (waaay more) and some don't like Brits because of the Brit's attitude. As for 'Pom'? Offensive? You have to be REALLY precious IMO to be hurt by that 'jibe'. Personally I have never had one iota of unplesantness towards me from a Kiwi because I am a Brit. Maybe its true that you reap what you sow? I always try to be 100% positive about my new life in NZ when talking about it in general conversation. I never run the place down but am open and honest about its true problems. Which are manifold.
My mate's a Kiwi, I'm a Pom, my OH's was born a Kiwi, raised as a Pom.......No problemo eh?!
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

pieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Genesis
Maybe its true that you reap what you sow? I always try to be 100% positive about my new life in NZ when talking about it in general conversation. I never run the place down but am open and honest about its true problems. Which are manifold.
This is a very good point. No matter what country you're in, you're going to get peoples backs up if you look like you're slagging the place off. People would be justified in telling to go back to where you came from. At the same time, you should be able to discuss any problems within that country open and honestly with locals.

I think it depends on what angle you take. If you take the line 'Your country needs to sort it's sh*t out!', you're turning it into an 'us vs them' thing. Whereas if you acknowledge any ills in society as also being your problem by virtue of now being part of this country, you're going to be recieved more favourably.