Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Racism toward Poms

Racism toward Poms

Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism toward Poms

Well I was told only Thursday that apparently the maori women never heard such a thing as domestic violence till "You Poms came over" ..........definately racism towards me. And the other month whilst working in a diamond centre some strange woman came up and called me a thief.... much to my bosses surprise And all because I am british.

Never mind, small minded people that they are will get theres coming
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:13 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Well I was told only Thursday that apparently the maori women never heard such a thing as domestic violence till "You Poms came over" ..........definately racism towards me. And the other month whilst working in a diamond centre some strange woman came up and called me a thief.... much to my bosses surprise And all because I am british.

Never mind, small minded people that they are will get theres coming
Grew up with "Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief, Taffy came to our house and stole a leg of beef" All through my English schools. If the Kiwi's think they can hurt me more bring it on!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Well I was told only Thursday that apparently the maori women never heard such a thing as domestic violence till "You Poms came over" .
You have to remember that the Maoris lived an idyllic life of peace and plenty until white men arrived.
On the other hand, if they are such fearsome warriors, who did they fight, because the only people in NZ were......Maoris?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I found the " racism " in Britain to be really fascinating when I lived there. ( sorry bout the change in thread ). The South East English couldn't stand the Cockneys. The Northern English hated the guts of the Southern English. The people in Dorset didn't like the Devonshire people. The North Welsh thought themselves superior to their cousins in the South. The Scottish really detested the English. The Highlanders seemed to have it in for the Lowlanders. The Welsh were not very fond of the English ( and vice versa ). Really weirdly fascinating - especially after delving into the history of these " feuds." I loved it !
NB . It sounds like some of you haven't met any well travelled NZers. How come ? I know squillions. ( Yes we come home to breed ) Oh and many of us have lived on both the North And South Islands . ( the Universities are pretty good at shuffling up the population )

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Dec 13th 2009 at 9:31 am.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

If we Brits could get beyond our regionalism, we might have a United Kingdom-and in whose interest would that be?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Um, how can being Pom be classed a "race"? Is it not more a nationality? Race I believe describes ethnicity; i.e. black, caucasian, asian, etc. Discrimination perhaps but racist? No.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Um, how can being Pom be classed a "race"? Is it not more a nationality? Race I believe describes ethnicity; i.e. black, caucasian, asian, etc. Discrimination perhaps but racist? No.
I have been called a "bloody pom" a few times and take great offence to it ......... pom my arse im from Scotland ... hahaha
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoglet
If we Brits could get beyond our regionalism, we might have a United Kingdom-and in whose interest would that be?
Our regionalism is part of what defines us as a race.
The Kiwis i know think its great that we all speak in different dialects
and have different opinions of people from various parts of the country.
I might say i dont like scoucers or cockneys but its all just light hearted banter
I really couldnt care less where a person comes from. As i see it in the UK
now everybody is being shit on from a great height they are really all the same.
My kiwi friends sit and giggle when i (mancunian) talk with my mate (a dirty tyke from over the hill) as
they cant believe the difference in our accents.
When he first arrived i had to translate what he said to our kiwi mates
as they struggled with his broad dialect, especially when we'd had a bevvy.
There are very few other places in the world with such a rich and varied selection
of local accents as the uk. we should celerbrate it, not wish to dumb it down
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
I have been called a "bloody pom" a few times and take great offence to it ......... pom my arse im from Scotland ... hahaha
I've been called American more than once, too. I'm not; I'm Canadian. Being American or Canadian doesn't make up a race, it makes up nationalities.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:17 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Racism toward Poms

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I've been called American more than once, too. I'm not; I'm Canadian. Being American or Canadian doesn't make up a race, it makes up nationalities.
I did that once by mistake . Though to be fair the couple sounded more like Americans than Canadians.

I do however acknowledge the more civilised nature of the Canadian peoples than the North Americans from south of the border .
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Grew up with "Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief, Taffy came to our house and stole a leg of beef" All through my English schools. If the Kiwi's think they can hurt me more bring it on!
Never heard that one....cheeky buggers aye!!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
You have to remember that the Maoris lived an idyllic life of peace and plenty until white men arrived.
On the other hand, if they are such fearsome warriors, who did they fight, because the only people in NZ were......Maoris?
I thought it was the Mori ori...excuse the spelling.....and that the maori's ate them all

Never mind, I will just ignore their comments and find the nice ones to chat too.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:36 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised at some of the comments on here. Very few of my friends haven't travelled widely. The ones who haven't aren't necessarily closed minded either.

But shedloads travel, and yes, return home to NZ. They don't all stay away.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Perhaps it is a generation thing KP. We are not surrounded by young people.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Perhaps it is a generation thing KP. We are not surrounded by young people.
NZers have been enjoying their OEs for years.My Mum journeyed to the UK in the 60s by ship . Its pretty much a rite of passage for NZers in their early 20s to head off- well for the ones I know at least. Will be expecting my own kids to do the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.