Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Racism toward Poms

Racism toward Poms

Old Dec 12th 2009, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism toward Poms

Just to be picky....most of what's been described sounds like nationalism rather than racism...sounds like a lot of the people involved are the same race and/or are discriminating on nationhood not colour?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 1:01 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Just to be picky....most of what's been described sounds like nationalism rather than racism...sounds like a lot of the people involved are the same race and/or are discriminating on nationhood not colour?
Ah but if a Kiwi called a black Englishman a whinging Pom would that be racism or nationalism or both........
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Ah but if a Kiwi called a black Englishman a whinging Pom would that be racism or nationalism or both........
I would vouch nationalism. All about his nationhood rather than race.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I didn't think it was possible too but thick people tend to have very interesting breeds.. I believe racist dogs are all the rage.
And albie the racist dragon (google is your friend)
what is that albie thing?... i saw it on flight of the conchords the other day! Strange
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi's are an insular breed anyway.
Most have never been off the island (north or south) they were born on
and are frightened of change, hence the big fuss about the "kiwi way"
All we are seeing when the critisize others is their defense mechanism.
Its something we all do from time to time regaudless of how
PC and non racist we think we are, its human nature.
get over it and move on.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by colandros
Kiwi's are an insular breed anyway.
Most have never been off the island (north or south) they were born on
Don't know who all those Kiwi's I saw were then whenever I travelled anywhere...they are bloody everywhere
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Probably Aussies not Kiwis

Most of the Kiwis around me haven't travelled out of the country much excepting the odd trip to family in Oz.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
Probably Aussies not Kiwis

Most of the Kiwis around me haven't travelled out of the country much excepting the odd trip to family in Oz.
No. I can definitely tell the difference . You can find heaps of people in every country who haven't traveled much, UK included. Just depends on the demographic you are observing.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 11:17 pm
`

You used the word 'heaps'. Are you a Kiwi?

The observation was about the Kiwis around me, not the population movements around the world and I really can't be doing with the NZ v UK thing. It's just so defensively
Old Dec 13th 2009, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

We all come across people we dont like and people who dont like us from time to time.
We can blame it on race, ethnicity, colour, social standing, financial standing or many other things.
lets move on
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
You used the word 'heaps'. Are you a Kiwi?

The observation was about the Kiwis around me, not the population movements around the world and I really can't be doing with the NZ v UK thing. It's just so defensively
No I'm not. Your observation was also that the Kiwi's I saw travelling all over the world were probably Aussies. Just let you know that they weren't...nothing to get het up about
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:44 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Only Kiwi's I have come across in the UK are either youngsters having a working holiday or fully paid Rugby players here for the closed NZ season.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

I had never met a kiwi before i came to NZ.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:53 am
`

Originally Posted by fish.01
No I'm not. Your observation was also that the Kiwi's I saw travelling all over the world were probably Aussies. Just let you know that they weren't...nothing to get het up about
Nope. That was a joke about people not being able to tell the difference between the both.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 13th 2009 at 6:56 am.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

That's a key difference between Kiwis, the one's who have travelled and seen a bit of the world are markedly different to those that have never been outside of NZ. There are many, many thousands of Kiwis who live offshore, who once having seen the bright lights have no intention to return. Citing the very same flaws in their fellow countrymen, around insularity, parochialism, lack of career opportunities and money. Those that choose to stay are equally as 'anti' and speak badly of the ones who choose to leave - it is all very odd, how dare they leave and find somewhere that they prefer to NZ? They, like many migrants also, see it as a slight on themselves that someone could possibly not like or want to live in Godzone.

Many people remark that the Kiwis they have met overseas are very unlike the ones they expect to meet when they get here. They are altogether different kettles of fish.

Kiwis can be very territorial and I have met many Kiwis who have not ventured from one Island to the other, or if they have it was a once in a lifetime trip. The North / South divide is huge and many, on principal, won't visit the other island because they're weird up / or down there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.