Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Racism toward Poms

Racism toward Poms

Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:35 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism toward Poms

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
I read it as being directed towards the two people mentioned in the original post rather than kiwis in general, and think you've been a bit harsh there!
+1

"Racism" is more out there in NZ I find as people are more outspoken on the issue and less PC.
Had quite a few "what was that in aid of?" moments here.....from almost the day we landed. Bit like the driving - you get used to some of it but some really makes you wonder.....

Also good to see ya Libby - looks like you enjoyed the gig
Wish I'd been there but I was at the Surf Club fire in Wellington that weekend
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Yea just re-read it your right, reason i was so harsh is im used to her hate everything kiwi posts and a bit tired of them, thats all

I dont feel like an outsider here , always just been accepted as me
Old Dec 5th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say i have had nothing but posotive comments since i have been here and i work with some very straight talking guys, on the other hand i have worked all over Wales and had nothing but abuse

Neil
Old Dec 5th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
Yea just re-read it your right, reason i was so harsh is im used to her hate everything kiwi posts and a bit tired of them, thats all

I dont feel like an outsider here , always just been accepted as me
What no sorry?

Always same old people, I can see why you fit in well here. LOL
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
did you read what you just wrote in that first sentence atall?? Would say that could be termed racist in a way, If thats the way you talk about New zealenders i would say this is why you have trouble setteling here, I wouldnt want to know you either

oh sorry to be blunt!!

Oh, really. I didn't know If that was that bad? then my apologies to everybody. (English isn't my first language, so I sometimes don't even know what the hell I am talking about.........) But I was refering to the rude chap -- 1st is the bald headed chap in Westpac Johnsonville branch. If you don't like Poms mate, you are in the wrong job in the wrong place. You are rude, odious and a shame to your fellow Kiwis.

You have misunderstood my point here. Hello, That's NOT the way I talk about New Zealanders. My intention wasn't to be critical of average nice NZders anyway. Was more a minor point about language use and inappropriate behaviour. It's true that not all people are kind or nice, but it's more likely they will be if you are positive to them. There will always be unpleasant judgemental people who are rude and impatient, but sometimes it's even possible to be polite to them and make them realize they've been rude, and change their attitude. Not easy tho.

To cut a long story short, Superficial stuff (for instance, having British or Kiwi accents) is/can be quite important in so many ways. Like you only got to know (?) me in a superficial way, hence you actually don't know my heart... however you formed judgements about me based on superficial knowledge. So it can be important to be aware of the impact superficial things can have on others before they know you well.

I sometimes think talking to strangers on the internet can be awkward. But I now try to respect/care about other's opinions/feelings more here - as a civilized and educated adult. So I refuse to appear to be rude.

Well, I've been doing fine here, and also have some very nice Kiwi male friends who are crazy about me, really. yes, still do have some (life long) personal issues associated with Kiwi males, but am reasonably happy. “Some Things That Keep Me Busy” ...is a good stuff indeed. For some reason, I've been so enthusiastic about the economics of drug policy in NZ and writing a research articles for publishing - am happy to be making a difference and want to contribute something of permanent value. (rather than being a grumpy child all the time ). Just no longer care about minor issues like "racism in NZ" or having a prejudice toward Kiwis or being dissatisfied with the country I live in etc etc

I've got money for foods, have a little place to sleep if not fancy, and have quite a few nice British & Kiwi friends for beer whenever I want to, What else do I need? (I still do feel more comfortable hanging out with British friends tho...to be honest) At any rate, I've Got Plenty To Be Thankful For (I think)

Last edited by crap coffee; Dec 5th 2009 at 12:24 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
I read it as being directed towards the two people mentioned in the original post rather than kiwis in general, and think you've been a bit harsh there!
You are right.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 11:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of going OT, Libby have a look at this thread, you might like it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ls#post7973423

Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:15 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think the English think when it comes to making friends and influencing people over the generations, just wanted to Rule the World no matter what. Sent Cromwell to slaughter the Irish, tried their hardest to downtread the Scots, flooded Wales for their drinking water then threw out NZ from their market place when the EU common market came along. When abroad they will not mix and want to convert everywhere into Little England, Spain suffers with British Pubs and All English Breakfasts.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooops your chip is showing Stormer!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Don't think the English think when it comes to making friends and influencing people over the generations, just wanted to Rule the World no matter what. Sent Cromwell to slaughter the Irish, tried their hardest to downtread the Scots, flooded Wales for their drinking water then threw out NZ from their market place when the EU common market came along. When abroad they will not mix and want to convert everywhere into Little England, Spain suffers with British Pubs and All English Breakfasts.
Says a bloke from the midlands!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:27 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

What is life without a little spice? And life without racism is immposible and none of us are exempt!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

What is life without a little spice? And life without racism is immposible and none of us are exempt!
Typical narrow minded midland mentality!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by zoglet
Typical narrow minded midland mentality!
Ah but being Welsh I know what racism is all about....................we invented it
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

Ah but being Welsh I know what racism is all about....................we invented it
fair play.........

visitng parts of Wales with my bi-lingual SiL was an eye (and ear) opener.....

seems we now know which sort of chips you have......

my mom's dad walked from S Wales to Dudley for work at the Baggeridge pit in the 30s.......that could explain a few things as well.......
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:03 am
you dewty owld maan!

....When abroad they will not mix and want to convert everywhere into Little England, Spain suffers with British Pubs and All English Breakfasts.
doesn't stop Taffs, Jocks and Micks frequenting those pubs and British eateries though? - As I have Welsh, Scots, Irish and English (as well as French) ancestry then I can use as many racial stereotypes as I like around here.....ok.....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.