Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Racism toward Poms

Racism toward Poms

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

newnzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Racism toward Poms

I think that it is a sad fact that whereever you go in the world you will find bigots and racists.

Happily, my 1st 6 months in NZ have been mostly good and the majority of people are truly colour blind and accepting. However, the ugly head of blatant racism has reared itself a few times from 2 people.

1st is the bald headed chap in Westpac Johnsonville branch. If you don't like Poms mate, you are in the wrong job in the wrong place. You are rude, odious and a shame to your fellow Kiwis.

The sad old fart in Toyworld at Porirua needs to stop being such a relic and go on a diversity course. The funny thing is, the Maoris are polite and friendly, save for one idiot politician, but thats more to do with being a politician than a Maori I think.

Anyway, back to Toyworld..........How dare you be so blatantly racist in front of my children you discusting old fart.

Rant over, like I said, most Kiwis are lovely people. Friendly, intelligent, happy, quick witted and really helpful.

Hope your experiences are as good as most of ours

Pete
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:34 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism toward Poms

I might pop into Toyworld in Porirua and put on my plummiest accent just to see what happens!

Can honestly say I've never in 4 years experienced any overt racism towards the Poms - just a bit of banter from my cricket buddies and the like.

I guess any immegrants from the Uk that constantly bang on to Kiwis about how much better "insert product / service / weather etc here" is in Blightly, deserve all they get!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to god you said something to them or their supervisors at the time
and are not just venting on here to get it out of your system.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, apart from one family member who is offensive to everybody
in 10 years I haven't experienced any racism

Quite the opposite in fact...if anything I get positive attention
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newnzer
I think that it is a sad fact that whereever you go in the world you will find bigots and racists.

Happily, my 1st 6 months in NZ have been mostly good and the majority of people are truly colour blind and accepting. However, the ugly head of blatant racism has reared itself a few times from 2 people.

1st is the bald headed chap in Westpac Johnsonville branch. If you don't like Poms mate, you are in the wrong job in the wrong place. You are rude, odious and a shame to your fellow Kiwis.

The sad old fart in Toyworld at Porirua needs to stop being such a relic and go on a diversity course. The funny thing is, the Maoris are polite and friendly, save for one idiot politician, but thats more to do with being a politician than a Maori I think.

Anyway, back to Toyworld..........How dare you be so blatantly racist in front of my children you discusting old fart.

Rant over, like I said, most Kiwis are lovely people. Friendly, intelligent, happy, quick witted and really helpful.

Pete
Sorry to hear...

To be blunt, they are ignorant and small minded losers. so don't take it personally. It's not unusual. though I haven't experienced any racism... as far as I remember... I do think though that you need to stand up for yourself no matter what.

Be Proud of who you are/where you from. I mean being a British. Don't take it too seriously. I do know it upsets you quite a bit, however It's Not Worth It, Really.

What's the good reason you have for letting this kind of sh!t bother you? Why let yourself? Sometimes it looks to me some people deliberately choose to focus on stuff that makes them feel horrible.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:47 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are English no need to go all the way to NZ just walk into a bar in Glasgow and open your mouth.........................
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
If you are English no need to go all the way to NZ just walk into a bar in Glasgow and open your mouth.........................
...........then run fast!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:38 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
...........then run fast!!!
Bannockburn all over again....
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Bannockburn all over again....

They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!! Yes,I know it's not Bannockburn or Robert the Bruce.....wait I remember.....Try,try,try again

Sorry,don't mean to hijack the thread.

Phyl x
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:02 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!! Yes,I know it's not Bannockburn or Robert the Bruce.....wait I remember.....Try,try,try again

Sorry,don't mean to hijack the thread.

Phyl x
No it was Mel Gibson in the historically accurate film about Wallace and Grommit!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by newnzer

Pete
I have to admit, this kind of thing does concern me. But then I could move within England to say Cornwall and then get abused for being a 'Cockney' (even tho I'm an Essex boy!!).

Someone hit the nail on the head, it is just the small mindedness of some people, try not to let it get you down
Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Lancashire lass and therefore have a Lancashire accent of which I am not ashamed of. We went on & P & O cruise in September and we chose Freedom Dining which meant we sat with different people every night. There were 4 formal evenings and of course always dressed the part. You can choose to share or request a table for 2, we did not mind sharing. On 3 occasions we sat at a table for 8 we were ignored by the so called posh people and I think that was as soon as we opened our mouths. So there is all sorts of racism in my opinion.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Sorry to hear...

To be blunt, they are ignorant and small minded losers. so don't take it personally. It's not unusual. though I haven't experienced any racism... as far as I remember... I do think though that you need to stand up for yourself no matter what.

Be Proud of who you are/where you from. I mean being a British. Don't take it too seriously. I do know it upsets you quite a bit, however It's Not Worth It, Really.

What's the good reason you have for letting this kind of sh!t bother you? Why let yourself? Sometimes it looks to me some people deliberately choose to focus on stuff that makes them feel horrible.

did you read what you just wrote in that first sentence atall?? Would say that could be termed racist in a way, If thats the way you talk about New zealenders i would say this is why you have trouble setteling here, I wouldnt want to know you either

oh sorry to be blunt!!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Love it
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:14 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
did you read what you just wrote in that first sentence atall?? Would say that could be termed racist in a way, If thats the way you talk about New zealenders i would say this is why you have trouble setteling here, I wouldnt want to know you either
I read it as being directed towards the two people mentioned in the original post rather than kiwis in general, and think you've been a bit harsh there!

A kiwi colleague at work asked me if I felt at all like an outsider still, cos he doesn't think of me as one........CHUR BRO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.