British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   RACISM -OR NOT RACISM .? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/racism-not-racism-597949/)

Imz Mar 16th 2009 7:50 pm

RACISM -OR NOT RACISM .?

Hi All

I am a 31 year old single lad from Birmingham. I am planning to move over to Nz either Wellington or Auckland with my brother who is 27. Plan on going next year. We are British born (our heritage is Indian). I am concerned about one issues racism? Will we struggle to find jobs there because of the colour of our skin?. Britain has come so far in terms of race relations and multi-culturalism, everyone has an equal chance. My greatest fear is going over to Nz and being treated a second class citizen and struggle to find jobs. Whats there public sector jobs like ? Any help/advice would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time.

jmh Mar 16th 2009 7:56 pm

Re: RACISM -OR NOT RACISM .?

As far as I am aware the colour of your skin should not be any more of an issue than in Britain, although I haven't lived there for a long time so I could be corrected. I would say though that in the current economic climate you will probably be discriminated against on the grounds of being a foreigner or an immigrant. I suspect a local would get a job over you regardless of the skin colour of either person.

Imz Mar 16th 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks for ur message .Fair enough so it will be pretty hard to find employment in this present economic climate ... I may try in 12 months time to secure employment. Because there isnt a large South Asian population in Nz i feel it may be difficult to build a life there and easier for those who are White British

jmh Mar 16th 2009 8:13 pm

Here is an interesting article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/3192425.stm

Migrants to New Zealand
8,700 from China
8,400 from India
6,600 from the UK
4,300 from South Africa
Source: NZ Migration Information (year ending June 2002)
Note that it is quite an old article.

Imz Mar 16th 2009 11:15 pm

interesting read, Thanks

Well i guess it comes down to how much you want to live in Nz. If you go ahead and think positively and dont let other people get you down with their racist remarks then I guess you will succeed. Look how well South Asian people have done in the UK through enterprise regardless of the racism faced?. Who knows , its sad that one has to think like this even in 2009

Kiwiprincess Mar 17th 2009 12:05 am

One thing you will find is people doing a double take if you say you are Asian. In much the same way a friend of mine (Indian, but born & raised Wellington girl) did a double take and 'corrected' someone in London when they referred to her as Asian. Her response "no I'm not, I'm Indian". With a broad kiwi accent. Probably confused both of them then.

To kiwis (and Australians, and a few others...I think Americans and Canadians?) Asian = people from the countries considered in the 'orient'. China, Japan, Thailand, Cambodia etc. As a term of use, 'oriental' is a big no no. Akin to calling someone negro or coloured.

sr71 Mar 17th 2009 2:11 am

I don't think NZ is any more racist than the UK at all, in fact there is probably still more racism in the UK in some areas. There is certainly nothing like many of the North-Western towns in NZ where there would ever be racial conflict.

As for bullying and harassment in the workplace, it can be incredibly hard to tell what the real motive behind this is. I've worked in the financial sector in London and it's very much testosterone driven, mostly males taking the piss out of each other and jumping on any weakness. I guess self conscious minorities could easily take offence when it isn't intended.

Imz Mar 17th 2009 5:57 pm

Thank You all for your messages. Crap Coffee I am suprised such racism or harrassment against British Asian or Indians would exist in a place like Wellington. I would have assummed such a place would be liberal and even welcome British Born Indians to there country because we can speak fluent English hence no language barrier.

Crap Coffee are you British Indian>?
I am in a difficult situation now i dont wish to be treated differently in nz. Crap coffee what do your friends work as for the city council? Also how long have u been out there? sorry for all the questions

crap coffee Mar 17th 2009 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Imz (Post 7389782)
Crap Coffee are you British Indian>?

No. I am not an Indian.....Not at all....:rofl:

Imz Mar 17th 2009 11:21 pm

Ok cool, so do your friends enjoy working for wellington?

crap coffee Mar 17th 2009 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Imz (Post 7391020)
Ok cool, so do your friends enjoy working for wellington?

I certainly do. and yes, they do. (they Love it) Its a very cool place to work IMO. :rofl: In fact, I am too busy to meet my Brit mates in order :eek: at lunch time every day .... cos I am a pretty girl :thumbsup: we so enjoy having lunch or coffee, tea & beer after work, cos there are loads of nice cafes & bars around... indulge ourselves too much :rofl::thumbup:

btw, have you read this?

http://www.emigratenz.org/ms-moving-to-wellington.html

Imz Mar 18th 2009 11:43 am

Hey

crap coffee ( i do have to stop calling you that ) whats your proper name? Thats an interesting artciles they come from colchester which is a lovely place in england i come from Bham which urmm has its down sides lolz. So what made you moved to NZ? Do you miss living in England and your family?

ps were u born in Uk?

crap coffee Mar 18th 2009 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Imz (Post 7392912)
Hey

crap coffee ( i do have to stop calling you that ) whats your proper name? Thats an interesting artciles they come from colchester which is a lovely place in england i come from Bham which urmm has its down sides lolz. So what made you moved to NZ? Do you miss living in England and your family?

ps were u born in Uk?

hey, it's fine you calling me crap coffee. .. I like Crap coffee.......btw. :rofl: (well. I don't drink crap coffee though)

I have to go to work/lecture early morning tomorrow so jumping into bed now. will talk to you later when I get some spare time. yes, born in Edinburgh. but didn't grow up there.

crap coffee Mar 20th 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 7386957)
I don't think NZ is any more racist than the UK at all, in fact there is probably still more racism in the UK in some areas. .

well. agree with all you’ve said - It makes sense to me.

here is an interesting article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-report-police

Batty Mar 21st 2009 9:34 am

Personally, I think if you're not conscious of it then other people aren't either. I'm quite tall and I'm blond with blue eyes but when I open my mouth I speak with an Irish accent and sometimes people can't get past that. It hasn't happened here really (once - when Munster played the ABs and I've cut the guy dead since - we can hold a grudge :D) but I did live in London for 7 years. You'll always find prejudiced people, whether it's against colour or nationality or religion but that's a reflection on them and not you. I just say 'their loss'! :)

I obviously know that there is racism out there (I've got a husband of Dutch parents - you want to see racism??? Get a couple of those!) but people have to get a filter and learn to know when people are laughing AT them or WITH them. You should only get pissed off at the ones laughing AT you!