Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rabies Vaccine for Pets

Rabies Vaccine for Pets

Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough
Default Rabies Vaccine for Pets

Hi guys,

I am hoping someone might be able to help.
We are having our pet vaccinated for rabies as we are returning to the UK.
We have been waiting for the vaccine to come in stock (Dunedin) for about 6 weeks now.
It was due next week.......... but the vet has called to say it has been dalayed again and they will call back in a fortnight to advise further.
I am getting really p1ssed off with this. If anyone can help out please do let me know.

This is controlled be asure quality who are totally hopeless.

Cheers

Ken
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabies Vaccine for Pets

Why a rabies jab for returning to the UK?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j19fmm
because the UK still has a quarantine policy all pets from out side Europe that's not on passport for pets have to go into quarantine for six months or have had a rabies injection six months before returning to UK,

and its costs as i know coming back from NZ they had injection two months before we left so they had four months in quarantine at a cost of £400 per month for both of them
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by j19fmm
concrete pump beat me to it.
Bit of a bugger as NZ is rabies free, even though I think there may be rabies still in parts of Europe
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Odd isn't it, no quarentine coming from rabies free UK to NZ but still insisted the other way round...good luck!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

kooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to all

hi there. we brought out dog back from nz to the uk. the six months quarantine starts when the first blood test is taken, this is to check the amunity fo the rabies, then a month later another blood test is taken then apart from the other standard injections i.e microchip,parasite etc you are good to go. the rabies injection i believe comes from oz which is where the blood sample is taken
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kenpom
Hi guys,

I am hoping someone might be able to help.
We are having our pet vaccinated for rabies as we are returning to the UK.
We have been waiting for the vaccine to come in stock (Dunedin) for about 6 weeks now.
It was due next week.......... but the vet has called to say it has been dalayed again and they will call back in a fortnight to advise further.
I am getting really p1ssed off with this. If anyone can help out please do let me know.

This is controlled be asure quality who are totally hopeless.

Cheers

Ken
Find another vet who has the vaccine. we brought back 2 dogs and you have to wait 6 months after the 1st vaccine has been given, then a blood test 1 month later to check it is in the system, but it was so lovely to have no quaratine in the UK. Good Luck
Old Feb 14th 2010, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Find another vet who has the vaccine. we brought back 2 dogs and you have to wait 6 months after the 1st vaccine has been given, then a blood test 1 month later to check it is in the system, but it was so lovely to have no quaratine in the UK. Good Luck
I have called half a dozen vets in Dunedin and the same story from all of them......... no vaccine and they dont when they can access any. They are blaming MAF/ asurequality fo this.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:31 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a simple question really...what other use would the vaccine be to the practice and would this point to the maybe minimal order quantity be the whole problem?
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Rabies Vaccine for Pets

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Just a simple question really...what other use would the vaccine be to the practice and would this point to the maybe minimal order quantity be the whole problem?
Is it not possible for u to ring round other vets not necessarily in Dunedin, all over Nz and pay for the vaccine to be sent from one vet to yours so u can get the ball started. I expect the only reason vets get the rabies vaccine is for people sending thier pets abroad. Otherwise ring a vet in Australia and get it sent to yr vet, worth a try
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:56 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Is it not possible for u to ring round other vets not necessarily in Dunedin, all over Nz and pay for the vaccine to be sent from one vet to yours so u can get the ball started. I expect the only reason vets get the rabies vaccine is for people sending thier pets abroad. Otherwise ring a vet in Australia and get it sent to yr vet, worth a try
Agree that's what I was leading towards.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Agree that's what I was leading towards.
Once the blood is taken, it has to be sent to Australia to be analysed anyway. Well it was in our case in Rotorua. I do wish u luck, it is not as easy as bringing yr dog to NZ is it.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:00 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like it may be a problem of supply by the manufacturers which is something that happens from time to time with most drugs. You could try ringing round other vets in the country but they may be reluctant to send a vaccine as it has to be kept refrigerated. I don't know how fast or expensive couriers are? Or maybe you could travel to another town if there was a vaccine there.
Stormer is right, rabies vaccines are not commonly given so it is not a vaccine that most vets would stock 'just in case' It is more likely it would go out of date before it got used unfortunately. We used to order them in as necessary and I only gave one in 12months of practice over here.
Hoping you manage to sort something out soon, or the vaccine becomes available asap
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I didn't think there was a quarantine from NZ to UK.

I thought you just did a few tests while in NZ and then could pick them up from the airport when you got there like you can NZ to OZ.

Especially if you can provide evidence that the dog has not been anywhere other than NZ for a certain amount of time.

Learn something new everyday eh
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bananalana
I didn't think there was a quarantine from NZ to UK.

I thought you just did a few tests while in NZ and then could pick them up from the airport when you got there like you can NZ to OZ.

Especially if you can provide evidence that the dog has not been anywhere other than NZ for a certain amount of time.

Learn something new everyday eh
Nope this is not true, all cats and dogs from NZ going to the UK need rabies jabs and a blood test, then 6 months. Thye can travel before 6 months but if so they have to make up teh balance in quarantine in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.