Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rabies vaccine for my dogs ...

Rabies vaccine for my dogs ...

Old Feb 28th 2015, 3:41 am
Just Joined

MrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rabies vaccine for my dogs ...

It was a common mistake.I didn't realize pet cats and dogs travelling here from the UK needed rabies vaccine.Last July we had our dogs vaccinated, our move took longer than we'd anticipated so leaving in February would be ok, allowing for the 6 month post vaccine requirement needed for them to meet biosecurity requirements.They both failed the blood titre test and here was where the fun really starts. We vaccinated them again in October/ November and this time they passed. I emailed biosecurity several times here in NZ, so I had my facts straight.they were happy to allow import of our dogs as long as 1 vaccine was given 6 months prior, with microchip Id ,that they failed the blood test was not an issue,as long as they had a positive titre at least 3 months before travel was, which they did.
Our vet in the UK and Defra (?!!!)said that the repeat vaccines that were s given to them in October/ November would be considered the primary jab and not a booster. I had several emails from NZ animal imports completely contradicting this.
We did have a dog shipment agent, who said our dogs would be ok to import as they did meet all the health requirements needed to get through.but I was worried sick, to say my nerves have been on edge is an understatement! But they are out of Quarantine now. We picked them up from Auckland and they have dabbled their toes in the Ocean. Yayyy🐶🐶💋💋
Old Feb 28th 2015, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabies vaccine for my dogs ...

What a palaver but all's well that ends well 🐶🐕
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Richos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a nightmare! Glad you are all together again � ����. Can I ask a quick question, I thought that pets didn't have to be vaccinated against rabies as the UK is classed as a 'rabies controlled country'. Am I reading it wrong?? We are possibly looking at moving out with our cats.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:08 am
Just Joined

MrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Richos_9
That sounds like a nightmare! Glad you are all together again ������. Can I ask a quick question, I thought that pets didn't have to be vaccinated against rabies as the UK is classed as a 'rabies controlled country'. Am I reading it wrong?? We are possibly looking at moving out with our cats.
That's what we thought. Nope. UK is not considered rabies free, I guess it's since the introduction of pet passports for EU travel. Please be careful get your cats vaccinated well in advance.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
What a palaver but all's well that ends well 🐶🐕
Thanks for your kind message 😄 they woke me up for a fuss at 4am 😬 do dogs/ cats get jet lag ?? 🐶🐶😴
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:19 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

would think the 2 weeks in quarantine would of been long enough for them to get over it. guessing they are just excited to be back with you.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Richos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, will deffo be looking further into it.