British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Rabies jab for cats - is any brand acceptable? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/rabies-jab-cats-any-brand-acceptable-737751/)

liz_r Nov 3rd 2011 8:59 am

Rabies jab for cats - is any brand acceptable?

Hi all,

I have just joined the BE forum and will do a "getting to know you" thread on the Introductions board shortly. However, have a very quick and quite urgent question that hopefully someone might be able to help with - to get the 6 months waiting period post-rabies vaccination ticking down, I am having my 2 kitties jabbed this Saturday morning.

All the information I can see on Biosecurity website is that the rabies vaccine must be "government approved" but no further details given. My vet is a bit nervous about stuffing this up, so can anyone let me know what vaccine brand(s) are acceptable for use?

Many thanks
Liz

ellenarosemary Nov 4th 2011 11:17 am

Re: Rabies jab for cats - is any brand acceptable?

If you look up one of my previous threads 'taking my cat to NZ' sorry dont know how to do a link, there is quite a bit of info about this.

My vet wasnt worried about the rabies jab, more concerned about the microchip as its an old one 14 years old and they have changed since then. Also there are other things to consider, ticks, fleas etc etc plus blood tests need to be done. Did try one of the pet removal companies, but they were most unhelpful to a point of being rude (wont be using them then).

If I find out any more info, will let you know.:thumbsup:

liz_r Nov 4th 2011 1:00 pm

Hi, thanks for that info - your older thread was very helpful and I've now also made a note of the suitability of the microchips (what a palaver!!!)

Persephone Nov 5th 2011 11:38 am

Hope you got the information you needed. I tried looking but it's not something that's easy to find out.
The only one I've used in NZ is Intervet Nobivac Rabies but this is for export obviously. Unfortunately I cannot recall the names of vaccines used for import, sorry [and it is Saturday night]. They do have to be inactivated which the Nobivac is.
I would hope that your vet has done some research by now and can guide you better. We can't know everything off the top of our heads unfortunately:) Looking at the times your cats have probably been vaccinated-if not, let me know and I can try and get some more info on Monday.
P :)

liz_r Nov 5th 2011 5:36 pm

Hi Persephone,

The jabs seemed to go OK, thanks, we had emailed the vet a link to the NZ Biosecurity site earlier and so they had a better idea about what kind of jab to give. One of the kitties seems to be a little under the weather this evening, perhaps feeling a bit off after the shot, but otherwise it all went well. Thanks for your input in any event!