Rabies jab

Old Aug 4th 2018, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice
Default Rabies jab

Hey

hypothetical question

my dog has a rabies jab 6 months plus before we fly but at the 3 month check he fails does he need to have another jab and wait a further 3 months for a retest?

many thanks - just want to belt and braces it
Old Aug 5th 2018, 3:48 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabies jab

from my understanding is yes, they have to be tested and cleared not less than 3 months before leaving the country
Old Aug 6th 2018, 8:12 am
Just Joined

welly_red is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tease
Hey

hypothetical question

my dog has a rabies jab 6 months plus before we fly but at the 3 month check he fails does he need to have another jab and wait a further 3 months for a retest?

many thanks - just want to belt and braces it
Yep, that's correct. Worth pointing out that you don't need to wait 3 months for the rabies titre though, we only waited 4 weeks & was all good.

Good luck!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

For a second I thought you were talking about the jab for humans.

It's very painful and you have to get a series of them, and even then, it doesn't stop you from having to get it again after a suspicious bite, it just buys you a little bit more time.

Quite important to have a rabies strategy if you are going to be traveling/working in the Third World as the rabies vaccine can be expensive and therefore not all hospitals will have it - you don't want to be on the receiving end of a suspicious bite and then find out nobody within 500 km has the vaccine!

Last edited by carcajou; Aug 7th 2018 at 9:53 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
For a second I thought you were talking about the jab for humans.

It's very painful and you have to get a series of them, and even then, it doesn't stop you from having to get it again after a suspicious bite, it just buys you a little bit more time.

Quite important to have a rabies strategy if you are going to be traveling/working in the Third World as the rabies vaccine can be expensive and therefore not all hospitals will have it - you don't want to be on the receiving end of a suspicious bite and then find out nobody within 500 km has the vaccine!
​Hmm Ok........but the OP clearly wasn't talking about rabies jabs for humans even if for a second you thought they were. The 5th word of the original post kind of gives it away, so why even post your opening statement and why did you then feel it necessary to tell us all about your experience of rabies jabs for humans ?
Old Aug 8th 2018, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice

thanks for this guys - that is what i thought but just wanted to get all my ducks in a row