British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Quit Job in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/quit-job-uk-371673/)

RodandEm May 5th 2006 10:00 am

Quit Job in UK

Hi,

Have just quit my job in the UK for a number of reasons, the main being I'd gotten fed up with working in an office and wanted to see the summer this year before heading off to NZ.

What I'm a bit concerned about is how this will effect our VISA ?

We haven't applied yet but are planning on putting it in when we have arranged a temp VISA for September time or there abouts.

I have some savings so can survive until then, and obvously don't want to commit to a new job if i'll be leaving so soon.

Does anyone know what position this puts me in on making the application, I have been in F/T work for 7 years (apart from a brief period of unemployment a few years back do to being let off due to cut backs), and have saved in that period.

I am also considering a complete career move, which obviously i need to take time deciding on.

Your advice is appreciated !

TRF May 5th 2006 10:09 am

Re: Quit Job in UK

Being nosey! But What type of work do you do? and what would you like to do?

RodandEm May 5th 2006 12:10 pm

i've just turned 25 and have been in Admin roles since I was 18, the best being as a Soul Admin/Office Manager of a small regional office with the Dep of Environment where I worked for 3 years.

thing is office work is all you can get round here unless you've been to Uni or know a trade. i've now realised it's not for me, and would like to start a career path when in NZ.

at the moment thats between training to be a nutritionist, outside work such as gardening, or something in finance although that would mean a return to the office.

my partner is 30 this year and has been teaching for 7 years or so now, so our main "talent" as it were is her, i'm hoping to get a decent career or at least something i'm happy doing in NZ.

TRF May 5th 2006 12:50 pm

My wife could sypathise with you there,,,Office Admin (various roles over the last 20yrs) now she's re-training to be a Yoga Instructor (thats her hobby anyway),, She says she's totally had it with the Office enviroment and the politics! Maybe you could either pick something on the demand list and re-train (might take a while, depends how soon you fancy moving abroad) or maybe turn a hobby into cash somehow! Hope you work out what you want to do soon.

RodandEm May 8th 2006 9:41 am

Originally Posted by TRF
My wife could sypathise with you there,,,Office Admin (various roles over the last 20yrs) now she's re-training to be a Yoga Instructor (thats her hobby anyway),, She says she's totally had it with the Office enviroment and the politics! Maybe you could either pick something on the demand list and re-train (might take a while, depends how soon you fancy moving abroad) or maybe turn a hobby into cash somehow! Hope you work out what you want to do soon.

my advantage is that i have some savings so can survive the next few months without work.

just wasn't sure how they viewed that, especially as i had been signed off with depression for 7 months until recently, mainly due to job and few personnal issues.