A quiet Xmas/NY?

Old Oct 7th 2022, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default A quiet Xmas/NY?

We are planning a trip to NZ - our plans were getting sorted in 2019 when all hell broke loose - and we were looking at arriving after Xmas/NY to avoid the couple of weeks where everyone seems to take their brains out (based on previous visits). Possibly going to Thailand before hand for a couple of weeks, drop into Australia, whatever.
However everyone else is rushing to make up for the lock down years so the long haul flights from Europe and Asia are more or less fully booked through December and early January.
So one option is to come out late November and stay through the holiday season, but try and avoid the party crush.

Is there anywhere which is quiet over the holidays?
Kaikoura and Akaroa were both rammed when we stayed there and we are getting to old to party through the night.
Somewhere quiet with self catering would be great.
[A little voice is saying Invercargill is usually quiet but I don't know if this is true over the holidays.]
Old Oct 8th 2022, 3:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: A quiet Xmas/NY?

We think you are best to delay coming into NZ until maybe mid January. Nothing changes here in respect of the "holiday" period. We just hole up for the most part.

Have been trying to think where you could base yourselves if you did manage to drop into NZ mid November. Most everywhere is gearing up to party on down. Places that seem off the main drag a bit simply make their own entertainment in their own special way. I would suspect Invercargill to be no different in that respect.

Here in Tasman Nelson there will be many open air all nighters, official or unofficial. My husband will be part of a monitoring & help team for one of the official ones which runs for 3 days I think.

The Marlborough Sounds are a bit munted - as in roading.

I wonder if a self catering accom in the Upper Moutere might suit. The Moutere is situation between two towns. Not far from the beaches and a drive to facilities. There is a bit of a village . Not much. Not far from the Moutere Inn so choose a place outside of listening distance of there just in case. Semi rural really.

Old Oct 8th 2022, 4:23 am
`

Originally Posted by littlegreycat
his post
I have been having a bit of a mooch. There really is not too much at all up our end that would be available from the end of Nov through to Jan 6th or so.
You want to steer clear of motels imvho.

OK What about something like this . It is on a lifestyle block so the thing would be to ask if the owners are planning a knees up which I would doubt really. It being a lifestyle block. From what I can see , there could well be availability.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 8th 2022 at 5:14 am. Reason: edit to add.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is relatively quiet over the holiday period, as the place empties out, you might be able to find a house or a bach to rent on Air B n B. There's plenty of beachy / or more rural places / west coast, whangaparoa etc. you don't have to stay in the centre of town
Old Oct 8th 2022, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I think you can avoid the crowds anywhere on the North Island except for the popular beachy / party central / bachy areas where all the Aucklanders tend to go (Northland and Bay of Islands, Coromandel, Mt Manganui, Whangamata, Matakana).
Old Oct 8th 2022, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it really depends on what you want. I can reel of a dozen places that will be quiet, whether you'd want to stay there is questionable
Simple answer is to avoid the places kiwis go for their holidays. You seem to have a good knowledge of NZ so it shouldn't be that difficult.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
On our visits so far we have either camped in a tent (4.5 month trip) or used the self catering at camp sites.
Top 10 seem to be the best (or were when we last came over a good few years ago now).
An Airbnb or similar rental for 2 weeks over the holidays might work, especially around Nelson area.
The main problem is camp sites, where the Kiwis congregate.
[Noting that we try and avoid holiday resorts in peak season in the UK.]

We hope to spend most of the time touring so we don't really want to commit to one area for more than a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
I have been having a bit of a mooch. There really is not too much at all up our end that would be available from the end of Nov through to Jan 6th or so.
You want to steer clear of motels imvho.

OK What about something like this . It is on a lifestyle block so the thing would be to ask if the owners are planning a knees up which I would doubt really. It being a lifestyle block. From what I can see , there could well be availability.

Thanks for the suggestion.
That would have been ideal but I emailed them and they are already booked up.
I am now wondering if all the quiet places will be booked up by people avoiding the Hoons.
Old Oct 10th 2022, 9:01 pm
`

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
I am now wondering if all the quiet places will be booked up by people avoiding the Hoons.
Rats ! will have more think. They should have updated their availability me thinks.

Some of the campsites do hire security for over the festive fortnight. The idea is to keep noise to a minimum and have quietude after a certain hour. With the campsites like top ten you would need to ask what their policy is with that one.
Old Oct 10th 2022, 9:30 pm
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
I guess it really depends on what you want. I can reel of a dozen places that will be quiet, whether you'd want to stay there is questionable
Where are they Col , out of interest. Don't say the local lock-up . Twizel?
Quiet ,to me, is good.
Old Oct 10th 2022, 9:36 pm
`

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
OK. I have a better picture now.

How about The Riverside Community. A twin bedded room which appears to be available up and over but you would probs need to be quick. Would be a bit different . You might get a bit of a group guitar session. You would need to confirm the policy but the community is for tranquil living.

Another thought is to find a house sit for a couple of weeks. Many families go camping over the 'festive' weeks so quite often they are looking to let their homes to net a bit of $$ back.

edit.... The Riverside Community is an all age community. It isn't youngsters or oldies. As a place to rest the head with some facilities it could feel doable.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Definitely would be opportunities for housesitting over the school holidays.

This one looks good, just need to feed the dogs and cat: https://www.kiwihousesitters.co.nz/h...land-northland

Old Oct 11th 2022, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Come to my little township, nothing ever happens here. A good night out is watching the street lights come on 😂
Old Oct 11th 2022, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
OK. I have a better picture now.

How about The Riverside Community. A twin bedded room which appears to be available up and over but you would probs need to be quick. Would be a bit different . You might get a bit of a group guitar session. You would need to confirm the policy but the community is for tranquil living.

Another thought is to find a house sit for a couple of weeks. Many families go camping over the 'festive' weeks so quite often they are looking to let their homes to net a bit of $$ back.

edit.... The Riverside Community is an all age community. It isn't youngsters or oldies. As a place to rest the head with some facilities it could feel doable.
Sounds a bit Gloriavale !!
Old Oct 11th 2022, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Definitely would be opportunities for housesitting over the school holidays.

This one looks good, just need to feed the dogs and cat: https://www.kiwihousesitters.co.nz/h...land-northland
House sitting - now there is a good idea!
That one looks interesting but I am unfortunately not a single lady.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.