Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Quiet places to live - Auckland

Quiet places to live - Auckland

Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

l.farscape is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Quiet places to live - Auckland

My husband has been offered a job in East Tamaki and we are looking for somewhere within 30 minutes drive, ideally.

We are quite out-doorsy, so we would be looking for somewhere we could get out and enjoy nature as well as a bit of adrenaline - cycling, surfing, swimming - something relatively active anyway.

We are not really into nightlife, and would be looking for somewhere with a village-feel to it rather than somwhere town-ey.

Does this make any sense??

If so, does anyone have any suggestions for areas like this where we can rent?
I would really appreciate this.

Thank you.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Re: Quiet places to live - Auckland

South Auckland has a reputation for being more deprived than other areas. There is a large Maori and Pacific Island population.

I would suggest Howick or Botany as they are within easy commuting distance for you and are also on the east side.

I personally would avoid, Mangere, Manurewa, Takanini, Otara, Papatoetoe, and most areas of Papakura although I worked with a lot of people who live there and they had no problems.

I guess it depends what you want.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

The most obvious choice would be the area directly east of the more populated areas of East Tamaki, Flatbush etc into the countryside of Clevedon and Whitford? Not a part of the country I know that well though, other than having made very occasional trips through and thought 'this is nice...looks posh' I went and picked up an internet purchase out that way once and stopped off at Clevedon School who were having an Agricultural Day - like a school gala for country types, and it was really cool.
They make wine out that way, it's fairly horsey, and there are a couple of very nice Farmers Market type affairs too.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by l.farscape
My husband has been offered a job in East Tamaki and we are looking for somewhere within 30 minutes drive, ideally..
As someone else has said Whitford, Beachlands, Clevedon and Maeratai would certainly be well worth having a look out. Close to the sea, some great areas. I am sure there are a number of people on the site that live this way, so hopefully they will be along soon and give you a better insight into these lovely areas.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We rented in Whitford for 18 months, before buying in Cockle Bay.

Howick village is very close to us, likewise the beaches at Howick and Cockle Bay.

Howick village - Saturday market, boutique cinema, local shops and a couple of small supermarkets. Nice bars and cafes and restaurants.

Meadowlands shopping centre is just up the road - another supermarket, couple of cafes, pharmacy, etc. Then there's Highland Park with a full range of amenities and a little up the road Pakuranga Plaza shopping centre.

Approx 10 minutes drive away is Botany Town Centre with a full range of shops and supermarkets. Lovely town centre with different walkways and shops, very tidy. Cafes, pub, restaurants. All free parking. Bowling alley, ice skating, cinema.

Approx 20 minutes from Cockle Bay is Manukau centre, large shopping complex, lots of retail areas, cinema.

The schools our way are very good - from primary through to secondary college.

Bus services to the city and into Botany, Manukau, etc.

The bus service in Whitford is only really from the main road. We didn't have a bus near where we used to live and to walk to the bus stop would have been quite a way, so living Whitford, Clevedon definitely need a car, also if you are going out towards Beachlands and Maraetai. There's a ferry from Pineharbour (just near Beachlands) into the CBD and also one from Half Moon Bay (approx 5/10 mins drive from us).

Would definitely recommend living out this way. We've been in NZ 5 years now and have lived in this area since we arrived.

Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot ... there's the beaches for kayaking. Local swimming pool at Lloyd Ellsmore or again at the beaches - Howick, Cockle Bay, Sunkist Bay at Beachlands, Maraetai.

I've seen cyclists in Whitford and the more country areas, but it can be quite hilly in places, also some cars go very fast and don't always look out for cyclists, so beware of that.

For surfing you'd need to visit the west coast beaches - ie Raglan, Piha. The water is calmer on the eastern side where we are, no surf.

Also Half Moon Bay is very nice, along with Bucklands Beach and Mellons Bay. There's beaches all around!

There's loads of gyms around or just pleasant for walking/jogging outside.

(There's all these shopping areas, but I hardly go to them, nice for a mooch around though sometimes).

There's also some good places to visit for a walk around - Botanic Gardens (approx 30 mins away), Duder Regional Park to name a couple.

Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

I live in Brookby just next to Clevedon I drive to East Tamaki for work which is about 30 mins nearest shops Botany shopping centre Clevedon 15 mins café and various small shops we find everything accessible here and can come home to peace & quiet being out in the sticks you just need your own car.