British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Quick question on schools for the littl'uns (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/quick-question-schools-littluns-398857/)

Maz Sep 27th 2006 12:53 am

Quick question on schools for the littl'uns

I'm in the US, and my daughter was born in mid-October 2001, so she'll be 5 in just a few weeks' time. She won't start going to full-time school - public school, I mean (she's in private pre-school) - until she's nearly 7! :eek:

At what age do kids start going to full-time state-run school? My Mum keeps harping on about how, if we were in England, my daughter would already be in full-time state-run school. It's getting really irritating...

So I was wondering at what age this happens in NZ.

And for those with kids in schools, who went to school in the UK, how do they compare in general?

Thanks!

poppets Sep 27th 2006 1:14 am

Re: Quick question on schools for the littl'uns

Originally Posted by Maz
I'm in the US, and my daughter was born in mid-October 2001, so she'll be 5 in just a few weeks' time. She won't start going to full-time school - public school, I mean (she's in private pre-school) - until she's nearly 7! :eek:

At what age do kids start going to full-time state-run school? My Mum keeps harping on about how, if we were in England, my daughter would already be in full-time state-run school. It's getting really irritating...

So I was wondering at what age this happens in NZ.

And for those with kids in schools, who went to school in the UK, how do they compare in general?

Thanks!

my son was born may 2001
in the uk he started primary school in january 2006
in Nz he started on his 5th birthday which is normal here
as for a comparison
uk schools are much more formal, we had to line up in the playground with kids when bell went & weren't allowed in the building. the had to wear school uniforms
here my son goes starts school between 8.30 - 8.55am we go into class & play, you're allowed to settle them in too.school finishes at 3pm but they can go to libary or computer room til 3.30pm
no uniform , but we had to buy exercise book, pens, pencils etc ($50 NZ) & a donation each term, no PE kit, but lots of 'fitness'
my son is top of the class & i think that have been in uk school for a term helped bascally school in nz not as regimented
my daughter goes to kindy (since 3rd birthday ) she was born june 03, in uk she went to playgroup in jan 06 (parents not attending playgroup), & in jan 07 she would goe to nursery if in Uk , & school in jan 08. i have noticed that even palygroup was more structured than kindy is here but she has become quite knowledgeable in kindy.
hope that helps

Maz Sep 27th 2006 1:45 am

Originally Posted by poppets
my son was born may 2001
in the uk he started primary school in january 2006
in Nz he started on his 5th birthday which is normal here
as for a comparison
uk schools are much more formal, we had to line up in the playground with kids when bell went & weren't allowed in the building. the had to wear school uniforms
here my son goes starts school between 8.30 - 8.55am we go into class & play, you're allowed to settle them in too.school finishes at 3pm but they can go to libary or computer room til 3.30pm
no uniform , but we had to buy exercise book, pens, pencils etc ($50 NZ) & a donation each term, no PE kit, but lots of 'fitness'
my son is top of the class & i think that have been in uk school for a term helped bascally school in nz not as regimented
my daughter goes to kindy (since 3rd birthday ) she was born june 03, in uk she went to playgroup in jan 06 (parents not attending playgroup), & in jan 07 she would goe to nursery if in Uk , & school in jan 08. i have noticed that even palygroup was more structured than kindy is here but she has become quite knowledgeable in kindy.
hope that helps

It does immensely, thanks ever so much! So my daughter's birthday would be about 3/4 of the way through the school year in NZ. This is good, as she gets easily bored in class. She's pretty darn bright, so for her to go to school full-time in a more structured environment (than she is in now, though it sounds fairly similar to pre-school in the US) would be great.

It's costing us an arm and a leg here, too... US $215 a week. And we get a write-off from the gov't, albeit absolutely minute. It made a total difference of $50 on our annual tax return this year, after spending over $10K on pre-school. Yikes!

One more question if I may - are there school buses, or is public transport viable? Do most people pick their kids up in cars? Do the older kids walk home by themselves? Sorry, that was definitely more than one question! LOL

Jude J Sep 27th 2006 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Maz
One more question if I may - are there school buses, or is public transport viable? Do most people pick their kids up in cars? Do the older kids walk home by themselves? Sorry, that was definitely more than one question! LOL

Hi Maz,

My kids are older and go to college and there are school busses for them, and intermediate schools but not sure about primary. Poppets will know. I used to live on the same road as a primary school and it was a nightmare at pick up time so yes, lots get picked up in cars. I also see lots of little kids walking on their own, I mean as young as about 6/7. There are also lots of walking busses which have a meeting point and a couple of volunteer parents walk a whole bunch of kids to school together, do you have them there too?

poppets Sep 27th 2006 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Maz
It does immensely, thanks ever so much! So my daughter's birthday would be about 3/4 of the way through the school year in NZ. This is good, as she gets easily bored in class. She's pretty darn bright, so for her to go to school full-time in a more structured environment (than she is in now, though it sounds fairly similar to pre-school in the US) would be great.

It's costing us an arm and a leg here, too... US $215 a week. And we get a write-off from the gov't, albeit absolutely minute. It made a total difference of $50 on our annual tax return this year, after spending over $10K on pre-school. Yikes!

yeahmy sons cleaver to but seems ok where he is at the mo , although we do keep the momentumn going at home.
there are school buses but i'm not sure if theres a charge, most people either collect the kids in the cars or the kids take themselves to & from school (very popular) a couple of kids in my sons class walk or bike to & from school by themselves , they are 5 but again its quite common, they stop at the park on their way home for about 10 mins then off they go home
i would say that my boy has gained loasd of confidence here & the kids , even teenagers are friendly & polite

Maz Sep 27th 2006 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Jude J
Hi Maz,

My kids are older and go to college and there are school busses for them, and intermediate schools but not sure about primary. Poppets will know. I used to live on the same road as a primary school and it was a nightmare at pick up time so yes, lots get picked up in cars. I also see lots of little kids walking on their own, I mean as young as about 6/7. There are also lots of walking busses which have a meeting point and a couple of volunteer parents walk a whole bunch of kids to school together, do you have them there too?

Not so many volunteers here, I think. But there again I'm in a very residential area. Schools and the like tend not to be planned when they're building the $1M+ homes. :rolleyes:

Maz Sep 27th 2006 4:51 am

Originally Posted by poppets
yeahmy sons cleaver to but seems ok where he is at the mo , although we do keep the momentumn going at home.
there are school buses but i'm not sure if theres a charge, most people either collect the kids in the cars or the kids take themselves to & from school (very popular) a couple of kids in my sons class walk or bike to & from school by themselves , they are 5 but again its quite common, they stop at the park on their way home for about 10 mins then off they go home
i would say that my boy has gained loasd of confidence here & the kids , even teenagers are friendly & polite

Oh heck... we know we have a charge for school buses! Half of our local property taxes, which are about US$5,500 a year, are for schools. And half of that is for school buses. Drives me bonkers!

That's amazing about the 5/6 year olds! Are they unaccompanied? Truly wonderful about the teenagers! :)

poppets Sep 27th 2006 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Maz
Oh heck... we know we have a charge for school buses! Half of our local property taxes, which are about US$5,500 a year, are for schools. And half of that is for school buses. Drives me bonkers!

That's amazing about the 5/6 year olds! Are they unaccompanied? Truly wonderful about the teenagers! :)

yeah some are unaccompained, some walk with mates some with older siblings.
buses are just the normal public bus, but they just put a sign on it for the school run i wouldn't imagine the charge to be to bad. and at our school one of the teachers waits til all the kids are on all the buses (about 3 in total i think, buses not kids :) )