Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A quick question re Dentists

A quick question re Dentists

Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all
Default Re: A quick question re Dentists

If i remember right if you get braces fitted in the U.K. on arrival to N.Z. the Dentist will not touch the work carried out but insist they start the whole process themselves. Orthodontic work is highly expensive. Unless they have changed the rules which i really cant see.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

why am i not surprised
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil View Post
why am i not surprised
From the NZ Orthodontists website:
Patients in treatment (with braces) transferring to New Zealand

If you have had braces fitted in another country, you will be able to continue treatment here in New Zealand. We suggest that you bring your diagnostic records (x-rays, photographs and models) with a letter from your orthodontist to give to your new orthodontist here in New Zealand.

http://www.orthodontists.org.nz/faq.asp
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:13 am
Just Joined

KiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud of

I'm reeling from shock at the cost of dental treatments here in NZ. After a recent trip to the dentist it was suggested my 10 year old may need braces soon to correct crooked teeth, God help us. Can anyone recommend an orthodontist in Dunedin?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:45 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KiwiDreamer View Post
I'm reeling from shock at the cost of dental treatments here in NZ. After a recent trip to the dentist it was suggested my 10 year old may need braces soon to correct crooked teeth, God help us. Can anyone recommend an orthodontist in Dunedin?
We have reeled in shock also. That is not because of anything that a dentist might wish to charge because of what is necessary for practice costs etc. They have to do what is right for them & NZ needs stonkingly good dentists and dentist practices which I firmly believe PD's OH offers. That is all too self-evident.
It is because our NZ income simply wouldn't stretched to ongoing dentistry here in the way we would have liked.

Nope. We haven't taken holidays instead of visiting the dentist.
Yes. We have had to return to the UK for elderly parents. Teeth? - Parents? - Teeth? Parents? . Who wins hands down ? - Parents.

Nope . We haven't been able to save for these costs, nor save for any costs. Money we have used came from old UK savings and then other sad sources.

Yes. Dentist wants to know they are getting their money. No doing runners.

Nope. We haven't been able to afford private health care or dentistry cover. We just haven't and that was never in the grand NZ plan.

Yes. We did our research and reccies. We even had a forum just like this but no-one who knew about here ever came forward to tell it how it really was.

No . We don't have a boat . Friends with bach. Trips to Oz instead of doing the basics.

I will add here that my husband, who is a plumber , also did years of training. He did 5 years after GCE's and 'A' levels. His reward here in NZ ? $26 bucks a hour . A 40 hour week and the 4 weeks paid leave is taken when the employer says so. Plus - we just paid $400 for the privileged of him working in this career trade.

So go figure.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:47 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Oopsies. See ! I have gotten carried away about the stuff we have lost by coming here

Here is the real reason for the post.

Speak with these people. It was put here by another user called Fooferfish. They may be able to help you.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I will add here that my husband, who is a plumber , also did years of training. He did 5 years after GCE's and 'A' levels. His reward here in NZ ? $26 bucks a hour . A 40 hour week and the 4 weeks paid leave is taken when the employer says so. Plus - we just paid $400 for the privileged of him working in this career trade.

So go figure.
So I have to wonder what motivates him to want stay in NZ where life is relatively speaking so financially hard and the rewards so low for him. I always thought plumbers did well in UK? Does he feel trapped here? Or does he really prefer to be here?

NZ really does have a way of sucking people dry...especially once the 4 year tax exemption thing is up....woe betide you taxwise if you haven't severed all your overseas (UK) links but woe are you if you do, since that is how you trap yourself here in the low wage economy.
Happily we are not trapped but the inequitable NZ tax system will be a major factor in our leaving (but then we never came to stay) sooner than was strictly necessary.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Did the dentist not suggest one, or was it school dental service?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:15 am
Just Joined

KiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by luvwelly View Post
Did the dentist not suggest one, or was it school dental service?
Yes the new mobile school dental service. They could only point out the 4 orthodontists in this area but not recommend a particular one.

BEVS
Oopsies. See ! I have gotten carried away about the stuff we have lost by coming here

Here is the real reason for the post.

Speak with these people. It was put here by another user called Fooferfish. They may be able to help you.
Thanks for that BEVS I'll follow that up.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who is self-employed or has private practice in any trade or profession usually does so because they have the wherewith to invest in such a business and they're pretty confident that they can make more money for themselves than from being a regular employee. Thus, any risks, be they bad payers or whatever will be in the business plan and fees adjusted accordingly to cover any losses. So I think we can spare the violins for all these 'poor' dentists doing the hard yards out there It's not like most of them work full time, certainly not working any harder or are more deserving than anyone else.

http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=J25150

NZDA do regular surveys of fees, if you're wanting to get a feel of average prices for certain procedures and judge whether you're being charged for the expensive or cheap seat.

http://www.healthysmiles.org.nz/asse...survey2010.pdf
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes the new mobile school dental service. They could only point out the 4 orthodontists in this area but not recommend a particular one.

Thanks for that BEVS I'll follow that up.
Best to ask other parents or better yet (the kids- are they happy?) at school then. See if they have websites as well, a couple of the ones in Wellington do.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
Anyone who is self-employed or has private practice in any trade or profession usually does so because they have the wherewith to invest in such a business and they're pretty confident that they can make more money for themselves than from being a regular employee. Thus, any risks, be they bad payers or whatever will be in the business plan and fees adjusted accordingly to cover any losses. So I think we can spare the violins for all these 'poor' dentists doing the hard yards out there It's not like most of them work full time, certainly not working any harder or are more deserving than anyone else.

http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=J25150

NZDA do regular surveys of fees, if you're wanting to get a feel of average prices for certain procedures and judge whether you're being charged for the expensive or cheap seat.

http://www.healthysmiles.org.nz/asse...survey2010.pdf
Disagree - most professionals work by avoiding bad payers completely....the bill is rarely in the post, you pay at the end of the appointment/meeting.
Dentists are definitely feeling the pinch of people putting off treatment/check ups, one practice in Wellington is currently offering 'bring a friend for free check-ups' - how desperate is that?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

Originally Posted by luvwelly View Post
So I have to wonder what motivates him to want stay in NZ where life is relatively speaking so financially hard and the rewards so low for him. I always thought plumbers did well in UK? Does he feel trapped here? Or does he really prefer to be here?
Neither really. If you met him, you'd get it. He's not here at the moment so I can't ask him direct. It's a tough one to answer on his behalf without rambling on & I;m not him.

I would hazard a guess that it's a mix of things. The energy to make another huge move in our 50's & taking our geriatric cats. The concern about work & a whole host of other things if we went back to the UK or anywhere else for that matter. The unknown.

Yeh. We were doing relatively well in the UK . Plumbing , gasfitting and solar/green solutions but that was knocking 7 years ago. The UK has changed since then. We've changed.

NZ really does have a way of sucking people dry
Not everyone though. Some folks really settle and totally love it. I'd hazard a guess that they have enough disposable income to furnish more than the basics week on week or that they come from worse to better in some aspects of their lives which makes the trade-off work for them.

Had we been younger & therefore eligible we would probably have taken a punt at Australia.

People wonder why he doesn't go self-employed . Well - it's just not that easy. It's a huge sum of $$ for starters. There are two exams . One being a business exam and he is extremely dyslexic. The pass rate is extremely low &.... he is over 50. He is past wanting to spend nights and weekends trying to get his head around exam techniques , profit and loss, budgets. When he finishes a working week he just wants to relax.

As it is we are in discussions about where are lives should take us in the next decade or so. Certainly, neither one of us wants him to remain an NZ pit pony way past 60.

No worries though. We are presently trying to hatch a plan to change things for us.

...does that answer it a bit?.....
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:39 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend an orthodontist in Dunedin?
Peter Dysart in Lower Stuart Street

Winifred Harding in Burns House George Street.

Peter is awesome, but not the cheapest; Winifred is cheaper but an old fashioned dragon (bloody rude to me on our first meeting too ) - though the results of her work are good.

If you have the money, I'd go with Peter

And when you need a dentist I'd suggest Lumino on Pitt Street - I've experienced a couple of the dentists there and they all seem good Though, the Dental School that BEVS linked to is good for cheap treatment, so long as you don't mind a long wait and lengthy appointments.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon View Post
Winifred is cheaper but an old fashioned dragon (bloody rude to me on our first meeting too ) - though the results of her work are good.
Dental professionals who behave like this deserve zero patients.
Why pay for someone to be rude?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.