Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A quick question re Dentists

A quick question re Dentists

Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A quick question re Dentists

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
You won,t convince me dentists are on the poverty line I know your hubby is one and i,m guessing you arn,t living in a one bed flat ? I know they have a lot of training but 2-3 hours treatment at 400 bux plus an hour is obscene. I,m very lucky that i can afford to go but there are many who can,t
Neil
$400 an hour is roughly the rate in Wellington too - I didn't realise what you mentioned was over 3 hours. $400 is only 200 quid and that's not clear profit - they have staff to pay and other overheads etc etc as Pixidust said.

In Wellington i.m.e.Dental hygiene is roughly $100 per half hour; root canal over 2 very long appts $1200, crown similar. Very similar to UK private rates, in fact slightly cheaper based on London.

I feel very sorry for NZ adults who can't afford care because the Government offers them very little support (unlike UK) but resenting the dentist for that is a bit like resenting any professional you pay for a service. Dollars are not pounds...how much does a Ladies hairdresser charge per hour? - does anyone ever moan about paying for that?

Last edited by luvwelly; Mar 29th 2011 at 8:04 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:09 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

you're right luvwelly, I should have clarified- shop around till you're happy with everything - not just price. You get a feeling for a nice dentist, with a nice nurse in surroundings that make you comfortable.

I didn't say dentists were on the breadline, just that some weeks are much harder than others just like it is for everyone - why on earth would you study for years and years to end up doing a job that would put you on the breadline? I was trying to explain some of the costs involved in having a dental practice. $400 per hour is expensive - I already said I thought you were being charged a lot. However, it's not the same all over the country.

And although not an apartment, we actually do live in a one bedroom house. There's only 2 of us so we don't need anything bigger. It's not flash, its tiny, it's old and to some it's a typical uninsulated wooden shed and we love it. We have an incredibly happy, unflash life on a small farm. But we still worry about money like everyone else at some stage or another. All dentists are not thieving tossers, not that I would suggest you were tarring them all with the same brush, of course
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:52 am
Just Joined

bop53 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think price might depend on geographical area.

I recently visited four dentists for a quote. All I could get were 'guestimates', as I was not prepared to pay for four different consultations just to get a quote.

Of the four, the price from three of them worked out the same as getting a plane home to the UK and having my dental work done there at an excellent dental hospital I know. But I chose the fourth and he turned out to be a lovely scottish guy who did everything he could to put me at my ease, as did his staff. And he was less than half the cost of the others.

So for me, shopping around did pay off. But it was still far more expensive than I would have paid in the UK, and I earn a lot less money here.

But I have noticed that many of my healthboard colleagues are choosing to go on family holidays to Thailand and have their dental work done there. They tell me the standard of dentistry is excellent and what they save almosts covers the cost of their holiday.

Sorry you hubby is having a hard time up there in Northland btw. Here you have to pay in full as soon as you get out the chair.

And just for your info, $530 for the removal of 7 teeth (30 mins in chair). Other dentists had quoted up to $300 per tooth!

Life sucks at times. Well, mines does at the moment.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bop53
I think price might depend on geographical area.

I recently visited four dentists for a quote. All I could get were 'guestimates', as I was not prepared to pay for four different consultations just to get a quote.

Of the four, the price from three of them worked out the same as getting a plane home to the UK and having my dental work done there at an excellent dental hospital I know. But I chose the fourth and he turned out to be a lovely scottish guy who did everything he could to put me at my ease, as did his staff. And he was less than half the cost of the others.

So for me, shopping around did pay off. But it was still far more expensive than I would have paid in the UK, and I earn a lot less money here.

But I have noticed that many of my healthboard colleagues are choosing to go on family holidays to Thailand and have their dental work done there. They tell me the standard of dentistry is excellent and what they save almosts covers the cost of their holiday.

Sorry you hubby is having a hard time up there in Northland btw. Here you have to pay in full as soon as you get out the chair.

And just for your info, $530 for the removal of 7 teeth (30 mins in chair). Other dentists had quoted up to $300 per tooth!

Life sucks at times. Well, mines does at the moment.
Poor you - were the teeth not savable? Charging per tooth for 30 mins chair time would definitely be a bit reprehensible...there should in any event be a difference between a surgical extraction and a simple one...sounds like you were quoted for surgical.

Also the maximum you pay for a single course of treatment in UK on NHS is 198 quid, so not much different to what you were charged by Scottish guy in NZ.

Last edited by luvwelly; Mar 29th 2011 at 9:44 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I,m just pissed off with the whole over charging, its not just dentists have you seen what estate agents charge 25 grand plus for selling your house and you are right about ladies hairdressers we are stiil paying Jan,s last appointment off
Just very down this week didnt mean to piss any body off

Neil
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:00 am
Just Joined

bop53 is an unknown quantity at this point

No idea what exactly was being charged by the other receptionists but I do know they were annoyed I would not make an appointment with the actual dentist to get a quote. All I asked was a rough price for straighforward extraction of 7 teeth. (Sadly they could not be saved as they were becoming loose due to an gum abcess).

And I did get two lovely benzos included with the price from my nice scottish guy.

And although the price was comparable, I earn a third to a half less wages here remember.

Still, think what I will save on food for the next month whilst my gums heal.

ps Neil. I had a fabulous cut at our local hairdressing college a few weeks ago. $15 including head massage. They are worth checking out and most do men's haircuts too.

and it's important for your mental well being to offload any stress on a regular basis, so no one should be offended if you 'piss them off'.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:12 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I,m just pissed off with the whole over charging, its not just dentists have you seen what estate agents charge 25 grand plus for selling your house
Really?! I am thinking about retraining as a real estate agent. Have done a prelim online test and they are trying to ring me in NZ but I am still in the UK (until Tuesday). I am actually being serious. I wonder what % the sales person makes. Could be onto something here.

All I do know is that they are commission only (at least the agency I am talking to is).
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jmh
Really?! I am thinking about retraining as a real estate agent. Have done a prelim online test and they are trying to ring me in NZ but I am still in the UK (until Tuesday). I am actually being serious. I wonder what % the sales person makes. Could be onto something here.

All I do know is that they are commission only (at least the agency I am talking to is).
I think everyone in the western world is happy to slag off estate agents except estate agents themselves lol. Not going to defend them one iota...managing agents of rental properties would be next up (although I do need them). However I'd be toothless if it weren't for dentists...NHS and private over the years.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bop53
And although the price was comparable, I earn a third to a half less wages here remember.
I know that makes it relatively more expensive but to subsidise dentistry in NZ to NHS levels we'd have to pay even more income tax...the system is simply different here....it doesn't mean all the dentists here are exploiting the situation although some undoubtedly are...good and bad in any profession (except estate agents sorry Am Loolah)....take your business to the good guys.

Last edited by luvwelly; Mar 29th 2011 at 10:37 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:38 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I think everyone in the western world is happy to slag off estate agents except estate agents themselves lol. Not going to defend them one iota...managing agents of rental properties would be next up (although I do need them). However I'd be toothless if it weren't for dentists...NHS and private over the years.
I'm not defending them either - just looking for an income.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmh

A bit off topic for this thread, but an agent here tells me that usually 50% of the commission goes to the real estate company, 25% goes to the agent who puts the house on the market, and 25% goes to the agent who finds the buyer. However, real estate agents charge far too much for what they do, and they're living on borrowed time! Alternative (and more reasonably priced) alternatives will eventually put many of them out of business.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 11:46 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rushmere
A bit off topic for this thread, but an agent here tells me that usually 50% of the commission goes to the real estate company, 25% goes to the agent who puts the house on the market, and 25% goes to the agent who finds the buyer. However, real estate agents charge far too much for what they do, and they're living on borrowed time! Alternative (and more reasonably priced) alternatives will eventually put many of them out of business.
Yeah, I probably should have started a separate thread. Thanks for the info. Just looking for ideas at the moment. I would want to make a significant commission because the rest of the time you work for free and don't get paid while you are training.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Back to dentistry

Daughters braces $7,500 paid over 2 years

Dental check up $73

Hygienist $90 for last treatment. Cost depends on how long I am sat in her chair.

Crown $1260 paid over 3 months for with no interest. Paid over 6 months with interest.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get the work done before you come I suggest you do it in UK

I've just been to an experienced English dentist here in BOP to have a small tooth repaired that had broken .
10-15mins in chair one white filling over broken piece $185....
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice. Will see if we can get the job at least started in UK before we come out. It's an expensive business all right! I will certainly be shopping around for quotes but do agree with a previous comment that you have to find a dentist you feel comfortable with and if that means paying a bit more it should be worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.