Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Quetion Of Showers

A Quetion Of Showers

Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Pagan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile A Quetion Of Showers

So container shipped and the great N.Z. long haul is nearly upon us - and in the great scheme of things it may seem a silly question to ask - but is anyone able to tell me whether there are any showers airside in LAX? We have a two hour fuel stop there and although duty free has its pull, I think I would prefer a quick freshen up, so any guidance if you have already taken this route would be appreciated. Many Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:38 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A Quetion Of Showers

Originally Posted by Pagan
So container shipped and the great N.Z. long haul is nearly upon us - and in the great scheme of things it may seem a silly question to ask - but is anyone able to tell me whether there are any showers airside in LAX? We have a two hour fuel stop there and although duty free has its pull, I think I would prefer a quick freshen up, so any guidance if you have already taken this route would be appreciated. Many Thanks
Are you sure two hours is gonna be enough time to have a shower???

i had 6 hour stop in singapore and that went by so quickly i didn't have enough time for anything else other than a coffee/

Don't you also have to pick up your suitcases and go through customs and then re check in your luggage at LAX...won't that take up most of the time
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:59 am
Just Joined

yorkshire girl has a spectacular aura aboutyorkshire girl has a spectacular aura aboutyorkshire girl has a spectacular aura about

We also had 2 hours at LAX,and sorry to say you have to que to get thru US immigration which took almost 1 1/2 hours for the people at the back of the que and then you are left in a holding room for the rest of the wait.Free drinks and snacks were available but no showersSo I guess its just clean undies and baby wipes to freshen up!
The only bonus is that with small kids we were allowed to the front of the line so they could run around for awhile!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any other facilities or good shops at LAX? I have an 11 hour stopover there!!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

You know, If you have a good shower before you leave, you will be OK, unless you have a perspiration issue. Really, I ddin't think that I met anyone on the plane that smelled when we got off.

I agree, you will be too busy to have a shower. Bring some wet towelettes with you, maybe a wash cloth for your face. You can ask the air steward to heat it up for you in the galley. If you have bottled water, you can brush your teeth too.

The flight is long, but not too uncomfortable. You will be glad to land and get off, but don't get worked up about it. You will be fine. Enjoy the ride.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

lax,2 hour stop over,you will be lucky if you even make your next flight
we flew that way and seriously,the queing that you have to do in that airport is mad......you have to collect your luggage,check it back through,and stand and get fingerprinted,all before you check in again,well we did anyway........nightmare...

just had my sister here for 2 weeks,she flew into lax,connecting flight with quantas,stood in the que for over 2 hours,loads of them missed connection,they flew them to fiji on pacific,then from fiji to auckland with pacific,she said it was a nightmare.

not trying to worry you,but get off that plane quick,stand in the que and don,t move....it takes longer than you think in lax....gl...and enjoy your flights
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:11 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Air NZ via LAX in March and again in May this year.

We did not have to collect our luggage as we were on Flight 001, which means basically you get off the plane and wait in the corridor to go through US immigration. You do not collect your luggage. If you have children travelling with you, you will be moved up the queue.

You hand over your passport, provide fingerprint (index finger left and right) and have your eye scanned.

You can then sit in the a/c transit lounge. You are not permitted to leave the transit lounge so you cannot have a cigarette, go to duty free, etc. But then you are only there for 90 minutes. They provide free hot drinks, sodas, apples, crisps, biscuits, water and there is toilets and tv. By the time you've queued, been to the toilet, had a coffee, eaten an apple, it's time to get back on the same plane, which will have been cleaned, freshened and new pillows and blankets handed out.

It's not that bad and it was nice to get off the plane for a while and stretch our legs.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Are you serious? Not allowed to leave the transit lounge? what the heck am I gonna do for 11 hours (ok, so 2 of those hours are accounted for with luggage/security) help
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:27 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Are you serious? Not allowed to leave the transit lounge? what the heck am I gonna do for 11 hours (ok, so 2 of those hours are accounted for with luggage/security) help
The flight transit I detailed was for Air NZ flight NZ001 which has a 90 mins (ish) transit time.

Other airlines, flights have differing arrangements.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cappuccino
the flight my sister was on going home(which was just wednesday past)had an 11 hour wait....she booked into airport hotel,which was just 3mins away...they came and picked her up at airport and brought her back,that way she could have a shower,freshen up and just chill out.....because she booked it online the day before she left,it only cost her $24...jacky g
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

phew! thanks for that info, I'll look into it.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:36 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
We flew Air NZ via LAX in March and again in May this year.

We did not have to collect our luggage as we were on Flight 001, which means basically you get off the plane and wait in the corridor to go through US immigration. You do not collect your luggage. If you have children travelling with you, you will be moved up the queue.

You hand over your passport, provide fingerprint (index finger left and right) and have your eye scanned.

You can then sit in the a/c transit lounge. You are not permitted to leave the transit lounge so you cannot have a cigarette, go to duty free, etc. But then you are only there for 90 minutes. They provide free hot drinks, sodas, apples, crisps, biscuits, water and there is toilets and tv. By the time you've queued, been to the toilet, had a coffee, eaten an apple, it's time to get back on the same plane, which will have been cleaned, freshened and new pillows and blankets handed out.

It's not that bad and it was nice to get off the plane for a while and stretch our legs.
I'll make sure i book flight 001 then as that sounds ok to me
thanks Mandie
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Pagan is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmmmm - I guess I was being a might ambition - but a quick stretch and freshen up will be great though. We are on the ANZ flight 001 too and we have not been told we have to retrieve our baggage, so fingers crossed they do not change their minds. Thank you for your help every one.