Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Questions re Camping gear and bikes

Questions re Camping gear and bikes

Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Harleychick will become famous soon enoughHarleychick will become famous soon enough
Default Questions re Camping gear and bikes

Hi

I heard that you cannot take camping gear and bikes to NZ. Is this actually true?

Thanks

Karan
Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Questions re Camping gear and bikes

Originally Posted by Harleychick
Hi

I heard that you cannot take camping gear and bikes to NZ. Is this actually true?

Thanks

Karan
Hi Karen
We are taking our bikes with us,long as they are spotless and smell of jeyes liquid we were told by the shippers no probs. I don't know about camping gear but i should think long as they are clean why not.
Jane
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:03 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks

Karan
You can definitely bring camping gear and bicycles over - just make sure it is absolutely spotless, including tent pegs.
NZ takes border security for agricultural pests and diseases very seriously, and the checks at the airport and ports can be quite extensive.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks

Karan
we bought a brand new tent, and put this on the manifest and still MAF inspected it, but they let it thru

they also checked hubbys cricket boots and cricket bat
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Thanks

Karan
We bought both over no probs, just made sure they were clean, like everthing else we jet washed it, thats all is needed!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westies
We bought both over no probs, just made sure they were clean, like everthing else we jet washed it, thats all is needed!
Great tip about jet wash! When we thought we were going to oz I followed threads about this stuff.

Can I jump on this thread and ask if there's anything thats a problem to bring over?
I have a steam cleaner for indoor use, do you think that will clean everything sufficiently?
We have had an offer on our house this weekend and if it goes through we'll have to go into rented until we want to go to nz. What happens to the stuff I put into store, I mean would I have to take it out just before leaving and clean the stuff again or will it be ok to ship as is?Thanks to OP for letting me add these questions
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:59 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

We took all our camping stuff and our mountain bikes. I was so bored with cleaning that I never really finished them properly - our bikes still had some mud on them and when they shook out our tent loads of mud and grass flew out! The MAF man said it was nothing to worry about - they werent the mafia! And he just laughed! We also had a garden fork that was packed by accident - it was covered in mud - he didnt care about it either.

Theyre not trying to catch you out. our maf man used common sense.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Karan
Petty much same answer as above-we were told they have to be steam cleaned. I suppose if you keep the receipts that'll do!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

chrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the rough

Hi

We had no problems with MAF as soon as they'd seen that most of the stuff was spotless he only opened corners etc. just to check. We did the above jet sprayed and then used a spray bottle with Jeyes fluid in to waft the smell around everything and it did the job. All the boxes that were pulled were Xmas decs, outdoor stuff, bikes, footy boots.

Chris
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by helinuk
Great tip about jet wash! When we thought we were going to oz I followed threads about this stuff.

Can I jump on this thread and ask if there's anything thats a problem to bring over?
I have a steam cleaner for indoor use, do you think that will clean everything sufficiently?
We have had an offer on our house this weekend and if it goes through we'll have to go into rented until we want to go to nz. What happens to the stuff I put into store, I mean would I have to take it out just before leaving and clean the stuff again or will it be ok to ship as is?Thanks to OP for letting me add these questions
Once its clean and packed, thats it! As mentioned before, you really don't have to go mad with the cleaning bit!!
Good luck to you
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westies
Once its clean and packed, thats it! As mentioned before, you really don't have to go mad with the cleaning bit!!
Good luck to you
ok thanks Westies