Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Questions, questions, questions!!!

Questions, questions, questions!!!

Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:52 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions, questions, questions!!!

Originally Posted by Scottishedo
5) what's the weather like in Auckland I keep seeing conflicting information about the amount of rain and sun! Remember we are in Scotland renouned for being wet and cold!!!
My experience is it has twice UK rainfall but the rain rate is twice the UK (think heavier rain when it does rain), so it seems to only spend 1/2 the time actually raining compared to the UK...when it stops the sun comes out again, rare to get days of grey cloud/drizzle as in Europe.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Just been lurking lately as my OH has been very ill.

Anyways, we've been living in Gulf Harbour (GH) for 10.5 years now, so know the area fairly well!
OH used to take the ferry to work (CBD) every day until recently, he's now working from home. He uses it occasionally now if he has meetings in town. Google GH ferry times for more info. There are quite a few more ferries per day than there used to be, though locals are still pushing for weekend ferries. The ferry takes approximately 50 mins and is a great way to travel. OH enjoyed a snooze in a morning.

We don't have children so can't help with schools as such. There's Gulf Harbour school which is a primary school. Used to have a good reputation when we first arrived, then went down hill due to the head teacher (I heard from friends), has a new head now so things may be improving. There are other primary schools along the peninsula. There is also Wentworth College, primary and secondary but you have to pay for those.
I have friends whose teens go to either Whangaparaoa College or Orewa College and they all seem happy with their choice of secondary school. I believe from Facebook and Neighbourly that there are playgroups locally.

GH has two golf courses, Whangaparaoa ( the cheap one) and GH Country Club.....guess . I belong to the latter for gym/pool use which is $80/month. Again Google is your friend.

GH has been described as Toy Town and you understand way when you're around the marina area. However there's a lot of new building going on around Fairway Bay/ Hobbs Wharf. So it's gradually changing. There are a few good eateries around, Ma Rew Thai, Chaits (Indian), Cherry cafe, Albatross cafe, plus there are places to eat in Manly and along the Peninsula. A Four Square has opened in GH and then there are supermarkets in Whangaparaoa and Silverdale.

Shakespear Regional Park is near to the end of the Peninsula and has some lovely walks and Te Haruhi bay is my favourite beach on the Peninsula. Plenty of beaches to choose from, so that's not a problem.

The main problem with GH/Army Bay is that it's at the end of the peninsula and sometimes it does feel a bit far, especially when you're tired. The traffic congestion has got substantially worse in the last 5 years. Mainly due to the lack of infrastructure and the amount of new dwellings being built. A major part of this is the soulless housing estates going up around Silverdale/ Millwater. Penlink is unlikely to happen, we thought it was in the bag when we moved here.....silly us.

GH to Albany is definitely commutable, though it can be slow at times. I've done it in 30 mins and it's also taken me 50 mins!

Weather-wise - we have something of a micro-climate here. It can be fine here and Whangaparaoa & North shore have rain. I lived in north-west England and the Midlands before moving here and don't find the weather that great. It does rain a lot and whilst it's warmer than those places on the whole, I spend less time outdoors. In the summer I find it too humid and the sun burns you quickly. I get bitten to death by mosses and other bitey insects! Mind you, you'll be used to midges I guess! I do enjoy growing citrus fruits, peppers and the like.

We find the cost of living high, and you can find me in local shops muttering about the cost of fresh produce and the crap quality of clothes etc. OH is on a reasonable salary and I'm not working and we do okay but it's not were we expected to be at this stage of our lives. I don't regret coming as such but I wish we had returned home 5 years ago. I have no sense of belonging and the minuses of living here outweigh the positives. Having said that, I have a number of Brit friends here who adore living here and wouldn't consider going back. Horses for courses.

HTH

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Aug 7th 2017 at 11:28 pm. Reason: Adding more.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Just been lurking lately as my OH has been very ill.

Anyways, we've been living in Gulf Harbour (GH) for 10.5 years now, so know the area fairly well!
OH used to take the ferry to work (CBD) every day until recently, he's now working from home. He uses it occasionally now if he has meetings in town. Google GH ferry times for more info. There are quite a few more ferries per day than there used to be, though locals are still pushing for weekend ferries. The ferry takes approximately 50 mins and is a great way to travel. OH enjoyed a snooze in a morning.

We don't have children so can't help with schools as such. There's Gulf Harbour school which is a primary school. Used to have a good reputation when we first arrived, then went down hill due to the head teacher (I heard from friends), has a new head now so things may be improving. There are other primary schools along the peninsula. There is also Wentworth College, primary and secondary but you have to pay for those.
I have friends whose teens go to either Whangaparaoa College or Orewa College and they all seem happy with their choice of secondary school. I believe from Facebook and Neighbourly that there are playgroups locally.

GH has two golf courses, Whangaparaoa ( the cheap one) and GH Country Club.....guess . I belong to the latter for gym/pool use which is $80/month. Again Google is your friend.

GH has been described as Toy Town and you understand way when you're around the marina area. However there's a lot of new building going on around Fairway Bay/ Hobbs Wharf. So it's gradually changing. There are a few good eateries around, Ma Rew Thai, Chaits (Indian), Cherry cafe, Albatross cafe, plus there are places to eat in Manly and along the Peninsula. A Four Square has opened in GH and then there are supermarkets in Whangaparaoa and Silverdale.

Shakespear Regional Park is near to the end of the Peninsula and has some lovely walks and Te Haruhi bay is my favourite beach on the Peninsula. Plenty of beaches to choose from, so that's not a problem.

The main problem with GH/Army Bay is that it's at the end of the peninsula and sometimes it does feel a bit far, especially when you're tired. The traffic congestion has got substantially worse in the last 5 years. Mainly due to the lack of infrastructure and the amount of new dwellings being built. A major part of this is the soulless housing estates going up around Silverdale/ Millwater. Penlink is unlikely to happen, we thought it was in the bag when we moved here.....silly us.

GH to Albany is definitely commutable, though it can be slow at times. I've done it in 30 mins and it's also taken me 50 mins!

Weather-wise - we have something of a micro-climate here. It can be fine here and Whangaparaoa & North shore have rain. I lived in north-west England and the Midlands before moving here and don't find the weather that great. It does rain a lot and whilst it's warmer than those places on the whole, I spend less time outdoors. In the summer I find it too humid and the sun burns you quickly. I get bitten to death by mosses and other bitey insects! Mind you, you'll be used to midges I guess! I do enjoy growing citrus fruits, peppers and the like.

We find the cost of living high, and you can find me in local shops muttering about the cost of fresh produce and the crap quality of clothes etc. OH is on a reasonable salary and I'm not working and we do okay but it's not were we expected to be at this stage of our lives. I don't regret coming as such but I wish we had returned home 5 years ago. I have no sense of belonging and the minuses of living here outweigh the positives. Having said that, I have a number of Brit friends here who adore living here and wouldn't consider going back. Horses for courses.

HTH
Fantastic thank you!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another question!!!!

When looking at rentals, we see that some specify the amount of tenants.... generally 4/5 in a 4 bed house..... how strict are landlords with this as there's obviously 6 of us!!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another question!!!!

When looking at rentals, we see that some specify the amount of tenants.... generally 4/5 in a 4 bed house..... how strict are landlords with this as there's obviously 6 of us!!
I would ignore that, they are saying that to stop groups of people renting rather than families - I'll be blunt, they don't want 12 Indian or Chinese students living there
Old Aug 10th 2017, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sr71
I would ignore that, they are saying that to stop groups of people renting rather than families - I'll be blunt, they don't want 12 Indian or Chinese students living there
Phew that's what's we had sort of thought but it was worrying me a little!
Old Aug 12th 2017, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Phew that's what's we had sort of thought but it was worrying me a little!
Not so sure myself.
I personally thought it was an insurance thing or legal requirement to specify a maximum number per household.
I suppose you can always ask the landlord to consider 6 even if they specify 4/5....they can only say No.
More people....more risk....want more money. That's how I'd have played it if I was still a landlord.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Not so sure myself.
I personally thought it was an insurance thing or legal requirement to specify a maximum number per household.
I suppose you can always ask the landlord to consider 6 even if they specify 4/5....they can only say No.
More people....more risk....want more money. That's how I'd have played it if I was still a landlord.
No, there are are no legal limitations on number of tenants. Sometimes there may be body corporate rules, but otherwise it's up to the landlord.

I still think in most cases it to deter large groups who want to share it or larger families who may be associated with lower income or ethnicities.

Last edited by sr71; Aug 12th 2017 at 11:09 am.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes there are number limits depending on sewer pipes. A cross lease for example can recommend a combined amount of people depending on its services but will be a recommendation. 12 in a house would equal poop bubbling up in the shower!