British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Questions, questions, questions!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/questions-questions-questions-898459/)

Scottishedo Jun 25th 2017 9:12 am

Questions, questions, questions!!!

Hi,

I have so many questions I don't know where to start!!

We currently live in Scotland however my husband has the opportunity of a job in Auckland, earning around $140,000 per annum. At home we have a decent standard of living and a nice home which we own. We have 4 kids, three daughters aged 11, 10 and 14 months and an 8wks old son who would of course be making the move with us.

My questions are:

1) I can see that Auckland is a super expensive place to live - which communtable areas do you recommend we look for rentals? There also needs to be good schools near by for our girls. We would need af least a 4 bed and ideally it would be closeish to a beach (my eldest daughters wishes). My husband will get a car with the job, do we need to buy me a car? Or will I get by in the week without one?

2) we don't intend for me to work until our youngest two are at school is my husbands wage (which has the ability to increase with him being able to further his career in nz) be enough for us to enjoy a decent standard to living over there?

3) what are the schools like? Well the education system in general? My girls are happy and confident, they have lots of friends here, is nz a good place to make friends? They both love the outdoors!

4) for me as a stay at home mum, does anyone have any experience of baby groups/toddler groups are there such things over there?

5) what's the weather like in Auckland I keep seeing conflicting information about the amount of rain and sun! Remember we are in Scotland renouned for being wet and cold!!!

6) food shopping, I know it's more expensive but realistically how much more do you spend per week on food and toiletries? We will have nappies to factor in and formula milk for my son.

I have tons more but I don't want to bombard you all!!

I was feeling pretty positive and confident about the move until reading expat stories if I'm honest!

He has also been offered similar in Melbourne, austrailia. The salary is more there however, nz is where I would love to try!

Thanks so much for reading and for any replies, it will really be appreciated :)

MrsFychan Jun 25th 2017 9:19 am

Re: Questions, questions, questions!!!

Hi and welcome, firstly before we go much further what visa would you be applying under? please bare in mind the changes taking place in August, which us probably the criteria you would need to be adhering to

Scottishedo Jun 25th 2017 10:08 am

It will be a temporary works visa the company will pay and guide us through this.

What changes are coming in August?

Thanks for your response.

Bo-Jangles Jun 25th 2017 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Scottishedo (Post 12279963)
1) I can see that Auckland is a super expensive place to live - which commutable areas do you recommend we look for rentals?

Whereabouts is his job based and what is your budget?

Scottishedo Jun 25th 2017 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12279988)
Whereabouts is his job based and what is your budget?

The job will be in and around Auckland city.

What's a realistic budget for a rental?? Around $600-700 per week??

inkedneonurse Jun 25th 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Scottishedo (Post 12279984)
It will be a temporary works visa the company will pay and guide us through this.

What changes are coming in August?

Thanks for your response.

In regards to the changes here's a link

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/media-centre/news-notifications/review-temporary-migrant-work-settings

As for houses and rental you can have a look at sites such as Realestate nz or trade me to get a general idea of what's about and there are lots of threads on here...

I believe there was also a good thread comparing household bills I'm sure someone here could link it

carcajou Jun 25th 2017 2:09 pm

This is a double post - you have also posted in the Australian forum.

However you answered a question I posted to you there, about the visa. I assume the Australian visa is a temporary work visa as well. As this is a temporary work visa - you have certain restrictions that you would not have if under a residence visa. You do need to understand this (the same will be true in Australia, on a work visa there).

With a partner under a temporary work visa - there is no expectation that this becomes a pathway to permanent residence (and, later citizenship) for you and your family (though it can happen in some instances). On a temporary work visa, the expectation is that this will end and you and your family will go back to the UK - not that this is a "forever move."

I do not mean to throw a bucket of cold water over you but you do need to understand the difference in your family's rights under a temporary work visa, and plan accordingly, compared to a permanent residence visa etc. I would be very wary of making permanent, unchangeable plans for 5 years down the track in Auckland or Melbourne because on the visa your partner will be on, there is no guarantee that you will still be there in that time.

More immediately - your partner's offer was for $160,000 AUD in Melbourne but $140,000 NZD in Auckland. That is a significant difference.

Good luck.

Scottishedo Jun 25th 2017 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12280086)

However you answered a question I posted to you there, about the visa. I assume the Australian visa is a temporary work visa as well. As this is a temporary work visa - you have certain restrictions that you would not have if under a residence visa. You do need to understand this (the same will be true in Australia, on a work visa there).

With a partner under a temporary work visa - there is no expectation that this becomes a pathway to permanent residence (and, later citizenship) for you and your family (though it can happen in some instances). On a temporary work visa, the expectation is that this will end and you and your family will go back to the UK - not that this is a "forever move."

I do not mean to throw a bucket of cold water over you but you do need to understand the difference in your family's rights under a temporary work visa, and plan accordingly, compared to a permanent residence visa etc. I would be very wary of making permanent, unchangeable plans for 5 years down the track in Auckland or Melbourne because on the visa your partner will be on, there is no guarantee that you will still be there in that time.

More immediately - your partner's offer was for $160,000 AUD in Melbourne but $140,000 NZD in Auckland. That is a significant difference.

Good luck.

Yes i posted in both places as I'm genuinely finding it hard to decide which if any we should seriously think about.

No I want reality so no cold water throwing :).... we are aware of the risks on the temporary visa, all going well we would then apply for permanent residency again we are aware that this may not work out.

There is a difference in salary, he will earn a good bit more in Melbourne than he will in Auckland.

I also need to do more research into good areas to live and bad areas in both countries. My main worry is my girls and their schooling.

It's a minefield!!

Thanks for your reply I appreciate any and all info bad or good :).

Scottishedo Jun 25th 2017 2:44 pm

The plan would be to have the 4 year temp visa as he is on the skills shortage list however after two years we will apply for PR

Scottishedo Jun 25th 2017 5:50 pm

It's the work to residence visa I couldn't for the life of me remember the proper name!!

Does anyone know what it would mean for school fees on this type of visa would we need to pay until we got residency??

Pollyana Jun 25th 2017 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12280086)

Good luck.

I believe its easier to move from a temporary visa to PR in New Zealand; unlike Australia there is a clear path (if you meet the requirements) to move from temp to PR, whereas in Aus there is no natural progression from a 457 to PR (especially after the recent changes). So coming to NZ on a work-to-residence visa is less fraught with pitfalls than coming to Aus on a temporary visa.
I will leave the NZ peeps to go into the details though as I only know the extreme basics.

carcajou Jun 25th 2017 11:19 pm

The school systems in New Zealand and Australia are very comparable. It should be a wash on that count.

The Melbourne job, factoring the exchange rate, is almost an extra $2,000 AUD every month - and you have four kids. I do think on the lower NZ salary, considering the size of your family, you will feel some pinch in Auckland, though it is livable on what your partner would be earning.

More than enough world-class outdoorsy things to do around Melbourne. The key is going to be, can you afford/save enough for your children to enjoy them? Auckland - possibly, Melbourne - probably. That is where the extra $2,000 each month AUD comes in.

Ask Kiwis - would you take an extra $2,000 a month to leave Auckland and go to Melbourne?

Good luck.

Scottishedo Jun 26th 2017 5:51 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12280346)
The school systems in New Zealand and Australia are very comparable. It should be a wash on that count.

The Melbourne job, factoring the exchange rate, is almost an extra $2,000 AUD every month - and you have four kids. I do think on the lower NZ salary, considering the size of your family, you will feel some pinch in Auckland, though it is livable on what your partner would be earning.

More than enough world-class outdoorsy things to do around Melbourne. The key is going to be, can you afford/save enough for your children to enjoy them? Auckland - possibly, Melbourne - probably. That is where the extra $2,000 each month AUD comes in.

Ask Kiwis - would you take an extra $2,000 a month to leave Auckland and go to Melbourne?

Good luck.

That's an excellent way to put it thanks for your response!

My brain is fried thinking about it and googling it all 😂

Scottishedo Jun 26th 2017 8:39 am

More food for thought, another opportunity has been presented to him in bay of plenty! Anyone any experiences of there?!

We have A LOT of thinking, researching and decisions to make!

escapedtonz Jun 26th 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Scottishedo (Post 12280489)
More food for thought, another opportunity has been presented to him in bay of plenty! Anyone any experiences of there?!

We have A LOT of thinking, researching and decisions to make!

Yeah BOP is awesome. We've been in Tauranga over 2.5 years now and love it here. Cheaper cost of living than Auckland but prices are rising as those Aucklanders are deserting Auckland and moving South!!! :blink:
We have a great lifestyle now we are more rural, close to the beach and the climate is very similar to that of Auckland.
Having been in NZ over 5 years, I wouldn't live in Wellington again as it just didn't meet with our expectations of life in NZ and I wouldn't live in Auckland for a gold pig. It's simply too busy, too many people, too much traffic and too much development going on with houses, buildings, roadworks etc.