Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Questions, questions

Questions, questions

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew_Famly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions, questions

Fingers crossed we are hoping to be heading to Christchurch, although every time I think we are close the goal post moves. We have two young children and do not drink, smoke or party so have a simple life!!! We are hoping that a job offer may emerge where the job will be based close to the Airport. We have looked at lifestyle properties and although the dream would be nice the reality is we want to be in an area where we can make friends and be part of a community as we will have no-one in NZ. I hope you can help with my variety of mixed questions are:

1. on a joint income of approx $120,000 living in Christchurch would that give us a comfortable lifestyle for a family of 4?

2. we have been looking at houses and Rolleston looks reasonably priced, is it a nice, friendly family area and does anyone on this forum live in this area? Any information on this area would be welcomed.

3. we have also looked at Oxford but would prefer not to travel over 30 minutes to work, would Oxford be a good option?

4. what other areas would be good consider?

5. one of the schools in Rolleston is caledl 'Clearview' which it says is not state integrated, what does this mean? Does anyone have children at this school?

6. as our children are 5 & 8 will we need booster seats for the car in New Zealand?

7. I have noticed that on lifestyle properties the price says $xx + GST. On some it says 'if applicable'. How much is GST? Do you always pay GST?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Questions, questions

Originally Posted by Andrew_Famly
Fingers crossed we are hoping to be heading to Christchurch, although every time I think we are close the goal post moves. We have two young children and do not drink, smoke or party so have a simple life!!! We are hoping that a job offer may emerge where the job will be based close to the Airport. We have looked at lifestyle properties and although the dream would be nice the reality is we want to be in an area where we can make friends and be part of a community as we will have no-one in NZ. I hope you can help with my variety of mixed questions are:

1. on a joint income of approx $120,000 living in Christchurch would that give us a comfortable lifestyle for a family of 4?

2. we have been looking at houses and Rolleston looks reasonably priced, is it a nice, friendly family area and does anyone on this forum live in this area? Any information on this area would be welcomed.

3. we have also looked at Oxford but would prefer not to travel over 30 minutes to work, would Oxford be a good option?

4. what other areas would be good consider?

5. one of the schools in Rolleston is caledl 'Clearview' which it says is not state integrated, what does this mean? Does anyone have children at this school?

6. as our children are 5 & 8 will we need booster seats for the car in New Zealand?

7. I have noticed that on lifestyle properties the price says $xx + GST. On some it says 'if applicable'. How much is GST? Do you always pay GST?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
1. Out of Christchurch, possibly. All depends on expenditure I suppose. We're a family of 3 living off just under 100k and struggle but that's mainly due to sending money home to the UK.

2 & 3. You will get much more for your money out of Christchurch. There isn't a great deal to do around the likes of Oxford, Rolleston etc but you'll be more comfortable financially.

4. West Melton, Rangiora, Kaipoi, Pegasus, Amberley and at a push Darfield/Ashburton. Those two will leave a fair commute but there's a bit more to do. We're targetting Rangiora, Kaipoi, Pegasus and Amberley when we can buy a house.

5. State integrated - I'm not sure? Might be a private school???

6. YES YES YES for the 5 year old! I don't think you'll need to at the moment for an 8 year old but that may change. They are looking at making booster seats compulsory for up to 10 years old. Given the standards of driving here, they should be in them till they drive!

7. 15% and you pay GST on everything, including food!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there.
I can't help with the Christchurch area at all as I'm up in the Nelson and Bays area.

Just wanted to say welcome to our wee NZ forum. Hopefully , between us all, we can help you along the way. You'll get here to NZ in the end.

Regarding the gst on any possible lifestyle block. This is variable depending on several issues. You may not have to pay gst at all. It is something you would check with your lawyer .
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, we have wanted to come for so long and this time we are slowly sowing the seeds with the kids just in case it all goes wrong again. We are flexible about where we live in Christchurch as the type of area is the most important thing. We have never been to NZ and it will be a gamble but we have little to no family life here due to our working patterns around our childcare commitments and NZ offers us the family life we crave. The hardest thing will be leaving our extended families but we need to put our family first. We may have an opportunity to experience NZ and we don't see why we shouldn't grab that opportunity and our dream at the same time. If it works out brilliant and if it doesn't, well we would deal with that if we had to but at least we can say we tried. I would hate to keep thinking 'what if'.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally some schools (e.g. Catholic school system) were outside of the state system. In the early 1980s they were brought within the state system (i.e. "integrated" into the state but runs parallel), so they get state funding, but have a "special character" and can charge some fees. They are not private schools, and their fees are much reduced. I went through the Catholic system myself and was at school during the "change over". It meant reduced fees and also that the pupils didn't have to clean the school anymore (presumably because they now had the money to pay cleaners!). However, you state it said "not state integrated" which may mean that it remains outside of the state system and is therefore private.

GST is sometimes payable on productive land such as farms. It therefore applies to some lifestyle properties. When we bought a lifestyle property in 2004 it had no GST payable, and that seemed to be the case with most of the other lifestyle properties. The estate agent should make it clear to you if GST is payable.

I am a kiwi who has lived in the UK for 16 years. I regret that my children did not have the chance to grow up in NZ as I did. While it is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and is not a south seas paradise, I think it is a more relaxed place to raise children - for children as well as parents. I read a little poem that applies equally to work, as well as housework:

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow,
So go to bed cobwebs and dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my babies cause babies don't keep."

So whatever you do, move or stay, making time for your children is never a mistake.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow,
So go to bed cobwebs and dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my babies cause babies don't keep."

Too true. Now Im shedding a tear over my morning coffee!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Traditionally, Rolleston has been a town in the country with it's own community and slightly removed from the city. However urban crawl now means the city is spreading and the outer areas are starting to be recognised as Christchurch in general. Rolleston is about 25-30 minutes from the central city, has a good supermarket and a few shops and is growing all the time. The closest shopping mall is Hornby (about 10 minutes) and the closest cinema is Riccarton (about 20 minutes). Rolleston tends to be a younger families area for the reason you have highlighted, lower house prices. I would recommend Rolleston for a young family looking for a community type atmostphere. And it's very handy to the Airport, 25 minutes on a bad day, 15 minutes if you know the back roads!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

That is really useful feedback, thank you
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Harewood, a suburb of Christchurch which is 5 mins drive to the airport in a cottage on a huge lifestyle farm. It was like you were living in the countryside there, part of Harewood is suburbia and the other side is really quite green and lush, upperclass homes generally on that side of Harewood - out towards willowbank wildlife reserve on Hussey road which is a lovely wildlife park. It was not affected by liquefaction or badly damaged houses as that side of chch is built near the airport on firm ground. You don't notice planes going overhead either and it is like you are not living in a city.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jul 5th 2013 at 11:43 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

I know it might sound like I am being paranoid but my research discovered that Rollerston has a prison that treats paedophiles. As I have children I am very concerned about this considering the prison doesn't appear to have fences. Just wondering if anyone could give me more information about this and whether I should or should not be concerned if considering this area????
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

The part of the Prison that you mention is located on Walkers Road and is just south of the Rolleston township (3km approx). While the Prision is low level security, the inmates are still inmates with security measures in place which you can read about here if you wish. A larger Mens and Womens Prison is located approximately 10kms to the west.

You should also know that Rolleston is the host to Pineglades Nudist Camp, which ironically is fenced!

Rolleston also has a brand new Police Station which is the main base for the Selwyn area (i.e the District). As previously stated, I would recommend Rolleston for a young family looking for a community type atmostphere.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you that is good to know and reassuring. I must admit I am torn between Rolleston and Rangiora. Until we arrive (if we arrive) I will have to just keep wondering. But thanks again
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew_Famly
Thank you that is good to know and reassuring. I must admit I am torn between Rolleston and Rangiora. Until we arrive (if we arrive) I will have to just keep wondering. But thanks again
No brainer, Goon has much more to offer than Rolly! Rolly hasn't even got a High School!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from Christchurch - a kiwi. So to be honest with you I would just wait until you get here and take a look around. I myself think that Rolleston and Rangiora are not where I would personally live due to the look of them however everyone has a different viewpoint and so you must not take my opinion, but you must come over and check it out. Have you thought about Akaroa or Banks Peninsular - very easy on the eye?

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jul 10th 2013 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

How long would it take to get to the airport from Akaroa or Banks Penisular?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.